Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411804 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 11:19:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)[solved] OpenGL on Windows
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [solved] OpenGL on Windows  (Read 5749 times)
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »

Yup, been talking about that with few of the tutors in my University. And sorry for the total thread hijack. Will stop now...  Shrug

amro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:10 PM »

I disabled all rendering and game logic, it still runs at 70-80fps max. There's something sinister going on here Sad
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

I disabled all rendering and game logic, it still runs at 70-80fps max. There's something sinister going on here Sad

Make sure you don't run it in 24-bit colour depth.

Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »

I don't believe there is a download for EASTL, which is a shame. Closest I could find is someone mentioning RDESTL which is apparently EASTL-inspired, but it's a single-person project and who knows how complete or reliable it is.

[/hijack]

BrianSlipBit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:21 AM »

OP, any word on this?  I'm curious to hear what the problem turned out to be.  Good luck!

amro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

I have yet to try Sos's suggestion. I discovered an annoying bug and was hunting it down this past week. I'll update once I try it out.
amro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 04:42:19 AM »

Still no luck, I tried messing with various format options to no avail.
BrianSlipBit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 04:51:10 AM »

Still no luck, I tried messing with various format options to no avail.
That sucks. Unfortunately I've got nothing for ya. I'm just starting to dive back into GL having spent many of the past years in DX land.  Thus, my interest in this thread.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 06:12:17 AM »

I just ran into a very similar problem, and it made me remember that many drivers on Windows enable vsync by default.  I know you've already looked into this, but it would be worth disabling vsync in the code, just to try it.  This has been a problem for me in the past.

What would John Carmack do?
amro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 01:38:32 PM »

I forced vsync to be disabled at the driver level, and still no difference.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »

So strange.. I've never ran into anything like this and I've been actively with OpenGL And OpenGL ES for the past two and half years. Kind of feel annoyed for not being able to give any insight into the problem.  Facepalm

BrianSlipBit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 05:47:02 AM »

After rereading some of the posts in this thread (regarding the original topic), I noticed that you were still only getting 70-80 fps even with rendering disabled.  To clarify, you're not even calling the render loop in that case, right?

If that's true, could it be something to do with your main loop and message processing setup?  You're also certain there are no win32 specific #ifdefs that are enabling some kind of debug code or anything along those lines that could adversely affect frame rate?

Which compiler are you using for win32?

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 06:26:32 AM »

It turns out that my problem this time wasn't vsync, but that I was trying to use the Windows SetTimer function to peg the main loop at roughly 120 FPS, and that function doesn't have a resolution that fine, so I was only getting 60-70 at best.

What are you using for timing, or are you just letting the loop run unrestricted?

What would John Carmack do?
amro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 11:33:29 AM »

I use MSVC++ Express 2008. It runs just as slow in release mode. The loop runs unrestricted.
amro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:17 AM »

Solved. It was an unnecessary call to swapBuffers(). What's odd is that I'm sure I tried without it at one point... must have screwed up.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic