Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:07:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsPortfoliosanosou music - Experienced freelance composer. 100% authentic Swedish beard.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: anosou music - Experienced freelance composer. 100% authentic Swedish beard.  (Read 4875 times)
anosou
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »

My name's Mattias Häggström Gerdt (better known as 'anosou') and I write music. Simple as that, eh? Well okay, some background is due.

I've been writing music for as long as I can remember and since I got involved in writing original game music I've been writing for a wide variety of games in an almost as wide variety of styles. I'm currently freelancing as a composer through my company/studio Anosou Music. I've been involved in the VGM remixing scene OverClocked ReMix (both as artist and staff) and have numerous (20+) arrangements posted there. I've also studied music (including piano, drums, production, film music, music history and theory) for the last 7 years but played for even longer. Oxeye Games' Cobalt, which I did all the music for, got nominated for the 2011 "Excellence in Audio" award at IGF.

The simplest way to get an idea of what I'm capable of is checking out my demo reels. They showcase a lot of my previous work in short amount of time. One of those really stressed out guys or maybe got a bit of ADD going? These are for you.

DEMO REELS

For more music you can check out the rest of my SoundCloud account with over 70 tracks, arrangements and originals:
http://soundcloud.com/anosou

GAME CREDITS
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (Capcom/Backbone Entertainment, XBLA/PSN) – Arranged two tracks (Credits and Here Comes a New Challenger) as a part of OverClocked ReMix.
  • Cobalt (Oxeye Game Studios, in development) IGF Excellence in Audio nominee! - Composed and produced the soundtrack, music direction and planning.
  • Scrolls (Mojang, in development) - Composing the soundtrack together with Josh Whelchel.
  • Cardboard Box Assembler (Fernando Ramallo, Miguel Angel) - Composed and produced the soundtrack.
  • Birdie in Trouble! (Klik! Games, iOS) - Composed and produced the soundtrack.
  • Blind EDGE (Retro PLUS! Games, in development) - Composed and produced the soundtrack.
  • Artoon – re-released as Artzy (OK Games, XBL Indie Games) – Composed and produced the soundtrack.  Dream Build Play '08 finalist!
  • The Perfect Match (Onion Factory Games, XBL Indie Games) – Composed and produced the soundtrack.
  • RBR – Fading Memories (Von Chrono, XBL Indie Games) – Composed and produced the soundtrack.
  • Office DisOrder (Moment Games, XBL Indie Games) – Composed and produced the soundtrack.
  • Kaleidoscope (Morsel Games, XBL Indie Games) – Composed and produced the soundtrack. Dream Build Play ‘09 finalist!
  • Rodent & Plank (ShadowMake, in developement) – Composed and produced the soundtrack.

For additional credits including albums and appearances, please check out this complete list.

Whew, formatting that took a while... Anyway, I’m always striving towards creating exclusive high-quality music that really fits your game. From techno to world music, from hard rock to jazz funk, from lush ambient soundscapes to screaming noise beds, from chiptunes to solo piano and pretty much anything else. The only thing I'm not confident with just yet is fully orchestrated soundtracks (it's a technical thing) but I'm no stranger to blending orchestral elements with ambient music or anything else that might call for it!

I like to think that my expertise comes from over 15 years completely obsessed with games and music and various shapes and sizes. With all the music I’ve composed and arranged, the games I’ve played, the soundtracks I’ve heard and even my musicology research and education in the subject — I know game music.

So, if you're interested visit my website http://anosou.com or drop me an e-mail at mattias [a] anosou [dot] com

Thanks for reading  Gentleman
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:23:10 AM by anosou » Logged
anosou
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:00:15 AM »

Here's a handy list of developer opinions, press and accolades shamelessly copied from my own site! Gentleman

Developer Recommendations

“Mattias is a joy to work with. Best desicion I made on Project Blind EDGE was to hire him. I gave Mattias as much creative freedom as possible with some reference as a rough guide and the results are well beyond my expectations. I WON’T be working with any other composer for future titles…. HE’S THAT GOOD.”
— Marvin J Willis, Retro PLUS Games, Developer of Blind Edge

“Mattias is extremely talented, enthusiastic and insightful. I can give no better recommendation than the fact that I cannot wait to work with him again.”
— Oscar Kozlowski, OK Games, Developer of Artoon and Illuminate

“Mattias makes music outsourcing a pleasure. The process is quick and painless, and the end product always exceeds expectations – more so than I could ever had hoped. Communication and diligence are at the core of this, I believe; and are the best qualities you can come to expect from Mattias.”
— Nick Busby, Onion Factory Games/Von Chrono, Developer of The Perfect Match and RBR – Fading Memories

“Mattias was an expert composer and good at coming up with music loops that suited the game and worked within the technical limitations of the system. He was very professional and presented several options for appropriate music even given limited information about where and how it would be used. Furthermore, Mattias was always very prompt and communicative. I would definitely recommend Mattias for any work composing music for games.”
— Ted Hung, Moment Games, Developer of Office DisOrder

“Mattias is a very talented individual, and an absolute pleasure to work with. It didn’t matter how ridiculous our idea’s were he still managed to write music that captured our game perfectly we often wondered if he had a clearer vision of the final product than we did. He blew our minds time and time again and will be our first choice for any project in the future regardless of what they are.”
— Geoff Lodder, ShadowMake, Developer of Rodent & Plank

“Hard working, always meets deadlines, easy to get along with, works well alone or in group settings.”
— Matthew Stenback, Morsel Games, Developer of Kaleidoscope

“Mattias is an exceptional person to work with. Hard working, always ready to contribute and very easy to get along with. His music always had a uniqueness that you couldn’t find elsewhere. Music to Mattias is second nature. He can create music fast and beautifully. I highly recommend him.”
— Sang Han, Artist, Morsel Games

“It was a pleasure to work with Mattias. His tunes captured the essence of our game pretty nicely. All work has been done ahead of schedule. People keep asking us about our composer and I’m afraid I’ve to confess that we are jealous about this  . We won’t hesitate to work with Mattias again in our future games.”
— Özden Irmak, Klik! Games, Developer of Birdie in Trouble

Press

The soundscape in Oxeye’s Cobalt was also praised for “giving it the amount of life it has” [...] a soundtrack that “stays away from melodic motifs to let the overall ambience take center stage.”
— IGF Excellence in Audio nomination

“The music in this game is sweet and a great tribute to the original soundtrack.”
— IGN about Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

PREVIEW EDITION]

“The soundtrack does a fantastic job of starting with a minimal tune and then seamlessly adding layers that alter the song, but preserve the essence. The final levels impressively blend NES-sound effects into the soundtrack.” [1]
“The combination of the gorgeous, colorful graphics and the excellent soundtrack make Kaleidoscope stand out beyond its peers, as does its twist of slowly restoring color to each level. As Tint collects colored orbs, the world becomes brighter and the soundtrack builds from its simple initial beats into a catchy, bouncy tune.” [2]
— ArmLessOctopus.com [1],[2] about Kaleidoscope

“The game features an amazing score”
— XboxIndies.com about Kaleidoscope

“The soundtrack is first rate and perfect in tone.Its production values and musical accompaniment are easily first rate among the class, and it makes a strong effort to justify its creators’ narrative vision.”
— Kotaku.com about Kaleidoscope

Personal Kudos

Many composers has expressed kudos after hearing my arrangements of their music. Since I’m incredibly proud of this, here’s a list (A-Z): Yoshino Aoki, Danny Baranowsky, Kou Hayashi, Jimmy Hinson, Yoshitaka Hirota, Kota Hoshino, Hiroyuki Iwatsuki, Al Lowe, Kimitaka Matsumae, Manabu Namiki, Ryu Umemoto, WASi303.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 01:43:39 PM by anosou » Logged
anosou
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »

Super bump! Updated with all relevant information. I'm done with my bachelor's thesis so I have pretty much unlimited time for scoring games now!  Beer!
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »

I honestly wouldn't bother bumping if I didn't think it was worth your time taking this guy on. Seriously, just listen to his soundcloud, you're embarking on some seriously talent. And he has a great personality to boot, good listener, and a gentle lover..

of good music. He'll get the job done and it'll get it done right!

soundofjw
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »

I wouldn't write music to my own game, I'd hire this guy.

hi
anosou
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »

Uploaded my second demo reel to soundcloud, now a total of TWO reels:
http://soundcloud.com/anosou/sets/anosou-music-demo-reels/
anosou
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »

Just did an interview with the site Primary Ignition about my composing, you can check it out here: http://www.primaryignition.com/2011/02/04/interview-composer-mattias-haggstrom-gerdt/
anosou
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »

Updated my website with a new design, should be a bit more pleasing to the eye and accessible.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »

Oh man, I thought it said Swedish Bard. That's too bad...

Anyways, if you're not searching for a bard but instead awesome sounding music for games then this is definitely the right place!
anosou
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »

Did an interview with DIY Gamer mainly regarding my work on the IGF Excellence in Audio nominated Cobalt, check it out:
Part 1 & Part 2
bigGIANTcircles
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »

I hear that Swedes make the best music.

<3

anosou
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »

I hear that Swedes make the best music.

<3

Of course we do! Also the best games!

Speaking of games, Cardboard Box Assembler was just released on Adult Swim and features a soundtrack by me: http://games.adultswim.com/cardboard-box-assembler-puzzle-online-game.html

I've also appeared on the VVVVVV remix album, the BiteJacker soundtrack and soon will be on Songs for the Cure '11. Just some info for anyone checking this thread Wink
anosou
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »

Sup thread! RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Since last time I've gotten a gig composing the music for Mojang's Scrolls with Josh Whelchel, gotten a job at Propellerhead Software AND uploaded two new demo reels. That last one is why I'm bumping this thread!

Check out my demo reels.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic