Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:27:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)SPUCK!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SPUCK!  (Read 4912 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:28:54 PM »

Hello everyone, here's a game that Luke Arntson (cthulhu32) and I made for Gamma IV. It's called SPUCK.

This game is about a speeding disk that slides across the floor and bounces off of walls. Of course, the only input is "JUMP!" but it can be used in a variety of ways. Pressing the button longer makes you jump higher, and you gain another jump after hitting a wall, allowing you to jump up vertical shafts. The goal of the game is to collect stars in each level, and power ups that let you jump higher, break through weak blocks, and fly!

Spuck it!

Delaney
Level 0

I don't have to put up with this shabby crap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »

Looks cool. Any enemy characters or obstacles?

Check out the rest of my shizz at <br />http://www.throughyourwindow.blogspot.com
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »

Nah, no enemies or moving AI. That would probably be frustrating because you can ONLY jump, the left/right movement is automatic. However, that might be something we prototype further down the line, so we'll see Smiley

In terms of obstacles, yeah the obstacles are pretty much the entire game. Level 1 starts off very tutorial/friendly with pop-up boxes (that are skippable), this way players know how the entire game works and what each item is for. Then level 2 you're thrown into a much more difficult stage with spikes that will destroy you, two spots to use the power, and a lot bigger chances to get high points.

The other cool thing (that I thought Paul did a great job thinking up) is the time system. Because the games are REQUIRED to be under 5 minutes, we made the time roll over for each stage. So there are 3 stages, the first stage is 2 minutes, the second 1:30, the third 1 minute (a lot like Marble Madness). This way the entire game length can never be longer than 4:30, and the transitions are 4 seconds a piece, so 4:42 total so far. Then the high score board (saved locally) is another 12 seconds displayed max, so if a player were to take absolutely every second in the game, they would be looking at right around 4:55 including fades and what not.

The other cool thing about this game is that it really gave Paul and I a chance to work with a hard dead line on something. I've worked in the game industry before, and its hard to find people you click with and who you can get stuff done with. Or people that will listen to you even when you're the programmer and they are the artist/designer :D So it was an awesome experience, and Paul and I are totally working on future projects together.

PlayMeTape
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:23:42 PM »

That's great! I've been wanting to do a collab for a while but I have a crippling doubt in my own abilities and don't want to disappoint anyone.

Oh yeah, this is about your game! Looks great guys. Seems like it could be one of those simple yet oh so addictive games. Good luck!  Coffee
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »

I think Luke pretty much summed it up. And yeah, it's been a real pleasure working with a competent programmer like him who can get the job done! I look forward to seeing what the future brings  Beer!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »

Luke let me do a play test of it on irc and you're right, it is simple and highly addictive.

Good luck on the Gamma. Hoping to see more one of these days  Hand Joystick
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »

Luke let me do a play test of it on irc and you're right, it is simple and highly addictive.

Good luck on the Gamma. Hoping to see more one of these days  Hand Joystick

Thanks to Allen, I actually got a few bugs out in the last 2 hours of the competition and one kind of big gameplay change with respawning power-ups. It is also a really good sign (even if we're not where near getting picked for Gamma) that Allen and a few other testers thought the game was really fun and addictive.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »

Our game wasn't indie enough for Gamma, so here it is for anyone that wants to try it:

http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/misc/phubans/SpeedDisk/

We'll be continuing this project to market on web and iPhone, so I'll be posting updates about it here.

MODS: Feel free to move this topic to another part of the forums.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:34:56 AM by phubans » Logged

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:12:43 PM »

I like this. I had a weird error when I hit the entrance to the tutorial and the puck got stuck, but it escaped and resumed normal play. I can't seem to repeat it.

Nevertheless it was fun to play. It's very fast and takes a bit to get used to.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »

First night I played it (gamma4 submission night) after several attempts I was able to get up to 130k (kinda close to Cthulhu32's 142k or something)

Just played it now, first time in awhile and got 115k, like riding a bike Tongue

Can't wait to see where this goes.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »

Yes, there's still two bugs that I know of but am unsure of how to resolve (then again, it's up to Luke to figure that out Wink)

One is getting stuck in the doors, another is getting stuck in the breakable blocks if your power puck wears off in the midst of smashing them.

We're going to repack the sounds into the game, change all instances of "PRESS A BUTTON" to "PRESS X TO CONTINUE" and add in a few more things before we continue.

Next up we're going to be focusing on making the level editor, so we can build more levels, and so users can generate their own.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »

Yeah, I got a lot of very good feedback (and some not as good) about this one, but here's the public Gamma release, and the swf with the updated sound and "press x to continue"

Executable: http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/Gamma4/Spuck.zip
Updated Swf: http://cthulhu32.kraln.com/misc/phubans/SpeedDisk/ (old working title Smiley )

From a tech stand point, I have a lot of things I'm hoping to change for this one. First of all, I'm going to pull out Flixel (I love you Adam for making such an awesome engine.) It was really cool to dev on, but I really had to modify a lot of it to get it where I needed, and I was noticing a few points that were places I really wanted to just rip out. So I'm going to be replacing it with my own engine underneath, which will probably bear a striking resemblance to Flixel's design but with a lot of stuff taken out.

Next, I'm going to hopefully make all of the level editing in-game, so that way as a level designer, you can simply click a button on the bottom right corner, the game pauses, and pop comes a tool set with everything you'll need. Also there will be a paint tool, so literally you just select the tile layer you want, paint paint, and the tiles will fill in automatically. Lots of stuff to add, plus a PHP login and all that good stuff, so I'll be moving this kind of stuff over to the a dev-log.

Anyways, thanks for hosting such a great compo Gamma, I'm excited to see all the games after the competition!

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:03 AM »

Yay! It's a lot better with sounds... Thanks for updating it Luke Smiley

I just got a 58 star combo on level 3 and ended up with a final score of 134k, but I'm noticing that the top scores on this computer are above 145k, so I'm guessing it wasn't my best run.

As for design-related stuff, I'm thinking we should implement a few more base mechanics. For starters, I think it would be cool to have a cannon in some of the levels that you can hop into and then it rotates and projects a trajectory line that lets you decide where you go when you shoot yourself out of it. Another cool thing would be a gravity switch in some levels (homage to VVVVVV) and possibly some levels with different physics, like an underwater level.

Apart from this, I was thinking it might be cool to start implementing enemies and bosses, like a giant Moai-like head that you can only damage if you bounce into his eyes as he shoots lasers at you (a nod to Arkanoid)... But this would probably come a bit later if and when we decide to bring in some more whimsical elements into the design.

Other than that, I'm probably going to work out multiple palettes and patterns for the foreground & background fills, so the user can define the look of his or her level Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic