Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:40:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Blue Knight
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Blue Knight  (Read 22597 times)
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »

Quote from: Tom Fulp
Sorry the delay - you can use them in Indie Brawl!
Looks like we've got the okay on this one.

FAQ:
Q: Why the blue knight?
A: Of the four knights, his freezing attacks are most unique. That's all.  Smiley

Portrait- -Goodbye

Sprites-
Idle- -Plasticware
Walking- -JaJitsu
Jumping- -JoeInky, Veo
Hurt-
Throwing-
Mace Slam- -Veo, Mokesmoe
Mace Strike- -ArdentSideburn
-ArdentSideburn
-ArdentSideburn
-ArdentSideburn

Moves:
A   Ice Slash   A quick, elemental slash that freezes the target.
↑A   Mace Strike   An uppercut strike that sends enemies straight into the air.
←A/→A   Mace Spin   Blue Knight spins his mace in a circle in front of him, delivering a few quick attacks.
↓A   Mace Slam   A slow downward strike that creates a small shockwave.
S   Shield   Blue Knight brings up his shield, protecting him from attacks and reflecting projectiles.
↑S   Ice Punch   A fist of ice rises beneath Blue Knight, launching him upwards and freezing enemies.
←S/→S   Ice Shot   A projectile that damages and freezes the target.
↓S   Ice Storm   A number of icicles appear above Blue Knight and rain downwards at a slight angle, freezing enemies.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:55:02 PM by Soulliard » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:37 AM »

Awesome. I knew the Behemoth wouldn't let us down.

I updated the first post with a tentative movelist, but I'm open to suggestions.

I imagine his freezing attacks would be useful for chaining attacks together. However, they shouldn't stun the enemy for as long as an attack like Trilby's taser, 'cause that'd be too powerful. Also, using a freezing attack against a frozen enemy should unfreeze them to prevent infinite combos.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »

sweet! i'll try to help out as much as i can on this one!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »

In the air, should mace slam be a downwards swing or a stall and fall? Personally I vote stall and fall.
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »

?
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »

Due to the insanely long stun times the stun moves have, technically all the stun attacks are infinite because there is no block one could theoretically stun/freeze then stun/freeze in the first few frames that the enemy goes back to neutral.
Unfreezing or not refreezing would be a good solution for easy infiniting, though.

^That is totally an extremely sexy sprite right there.
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »

This sounds great!
An attack on a frozen person should definitely unfreeze them, even if it's a freezing attack, infinite chains aren't nice.

Now, air move suggestions.

In Castle Crashers, air combos can chain into one of two heavy attacks.
One is an uppercut, forcing them slightly into the air, and the other sends them rocketing into the ground.
These would be perfect air versions of ^A and VA, and would also grant him an all-important spike move (send people flying down quickly).

There's also an air move (a really bad one that you never use because it does 1 damage per hit) where the character spins around and hits people multiple times with their mace.
This would be a good air version of </>A.

Can't think of anything for S to do in the air, not sure anything would make sense.

For ^S, what about this.
Since he's in the air he can't really do a second power jump, so how about he makes a platform beneath his feet?
It would take a second to charge up naturally, to stop it being an overpowered recovery move, and it would only last a few seconds.
In addition, to stop it being too good, when would jump off the platform, you only jump very weakly, because it gives way under your feet and your jump loses power.

</>S and VS really don't need changing for in the air, just like with their CC equivalents, they work exactly the same in the air.
However, </>S should have a slight recoil to it, pushing you back a little bit if you use it in the air.
Makes it less spammable because it threatens to push you off a platform, and also gives it a use as a recovery, however slight.
MaloEspada
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »

Nice to see Tom let us use his character!

Also rad sprite art Plasticware!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »

We don't need to change his moves when he's in the air. We only need air moves when the move wont work in the air or vise-versa, like how a few people have vA on the ground is a low forward attack and vA in the air is a downwards attack. All of blue knight's moves will work fine in the air.

Sweet sprite.

Chaining freezing attacks should work like chaining trilby's taser.
godsavant
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »

?

Love it.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:33:48 PM »

Wizard blue knight plasticware!

went ahead and tried a run cycle

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:56 PM »

There is some amazing pixeling going on in here.  Smiley

Due to the insanely long stun times the stun moves have, technically all the stun attacks are infinite because there is no block one could theoretically stun/freeze then stun/freeze in the first few frames that the enemy goes back to neutral.
That's true. I'll add a few invincibility frames right after the freezing expires naturally. That should prevent any infinite combos without noticeably changing gameplay for those who fight fair.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 01:16:22 AM »

Anything you can do in the game is fair. Giggle

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

Potentially misleading, but very important  Wink

By definition, you guys are defining what counts as playing fair by defining what is possible in game. Noone playing in a SF2 tournament ever got far claiming the fact they were combo'd into little pieces was unfair (this might be a totally meaningless/wrong example... I don't play fighting or brawling games on the whole  Undecided)

For an example I know intimately, complaining that the neon-decked GM mage who ganked your newly created character and stole your hard-earned gold on UO's Siege Perilous server was "not playing fair" wouldn't hold water.

Basically, if it can be done it's fair play. From your end this could be viewed, in each given case, as a "feature" or a "bug". The only difference is whether you think it oughta be changed (or the community having an overwhelming opinion, maybe...  Undecided)
godsavant
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »

I suppose the word here is not 'fair', but 'balanced'.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »

I'm afraid I'd consider even "fair" and "balanced" to be hugely subjective.

A "fair" game can have any 'ruleset', as it were, without affecting it's "fairness". To be fair is only to treat all participants equally. (An argument could be made for other definitions, but bear with me for the post, at least  Wink)

A "balanced" game requires, I believe, to give all participants an equal chance to succeed. They are, apparently, identical concepts, but I would consider a fair game to have the possibility for player-selected difficulty due to a functional imbalance of characters (I remember Yoshimo being practically a God in Tekken-games, however he needed more work to master?).

A Fair game, as i understand it, would have all characters, differences or no, equally "powerful/capable". Any one would be able to dominate by making good use of their characteristics, but no one character would represent a clear advantage, whether it was simply overpowered, or whether it became un-defeatable in the hands of an expert player.  Sad

EDIT: Eh, I'm sorry. This is one of the worst possible places to place this discussion. FWIW I think it's an important discussion, but it doesn't belong in a character thread (gorgeous pixelling, btw guys).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:50:04 AM by Widget » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »

You're over-analyzing my choice of words. All I was saying is I'm removing an infinite combo in such a way that it will not have an effect on players who were not using the infinite combo.

This is an interesting discussion, but this is not the place for it. If you would like to discuss it further, I'd suggest making a topic in the Design forum.

Sidenote: In Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, the final boss is intentionally overpowered. You can unlock him to use as a commanding officer, but no one would ever let you get away with that in a multiplayer game. Players mutually agree not to use him because it would be unfair.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »

Let's change "those who fight fair." to "those who aren't jerks."
In SSBB whenever I get someone locked in place with the fan, I'll let them go in a second or two, as it's not fun being stuck in place not being able to do anything while you constantly take damage.

EDIT: I didn't see that there was another page, ignore me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:28:39 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »

To get back on topic:

?

This is amazing.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 09:27:11 PM »

Ok so there's a page worth of semantics, get back on topic?
Move list suggestions I made, thoughts?
I think most of them would be pretty solid air variants.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic