Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:46:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Blue Knight
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Blue Knight  (Read 22607 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »

Looks good to me! Hand Thumbs Up Left
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »

Is a smidgeon 2 pixels? I hope so, or we'll be going back and forth. Nonetheless, tell me if you think it needs to be moved more.
You've just got a picture that you've been cropping, don't you?
Tongue

Looks great like that!
And really, I think the Mace is more characterful than his sheathed sword... Even though it's not what he actually uses.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »

And really, I think the Mace is more characterful than his sheathed sword... Even though it's not what he actually uses.
I agree with this.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2010, 12:42:46 AM »

Is a smidgeon 2 pixels? I hope so, or we'll be going back and forth. Nonetheless, tell me if you think it needs to be moved more.
Tongue

Looks great like that!

I still like the idea of using all 4 knights in the one character, each having 2 attacks (like ^A, ^S for Knight 1. vA, vS for Knight 2 etc). It wouldn't be like making 4 different characters because it would just be a re-colour and it would be no additional spriting. When using an attack that doesn't correspond to the knight you're currently on, there's a very slight delay of switching between them. This would also bring in a unique tactical situation for the player and so on. It also lets us use all 4 of the knights special abilities for a more interesting move-list.

Please? Pleeeeaaase
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:10:18 AM by Blaizer » Logged
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2010, 03:56:43 AM »

Tongue

Looks great like that!

I still like the idea of using all 4 knights in the one character, each having 2 attacks (like ^A, ^S for Knight 1. vA, vS for Knight 2 etc). It wouldn't be like making 4 different characters because it would just be a re-colour and it would be no additional spriting. When using an attack that doesn't correspond to the knight you're currently on, there's a very slight delay of switching between them. This would also bring in a unique tactical situation for the player and so on. It also lets us use all 4 of the knights special abilities for a more interesting move-list.

Please? Pleeeeaaase
I think a better idea would be the Pink knight.

I think a better idea would also be no Tongue
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »

Honestly, I'd just remove the mace from the portrait entirely. It adds nothing to the portrait, and it looks kind of bad compared to the head. If you need something to fill the space, some ice might be more appropriate.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »

Honestly, I'd just remove the mace from the portrait entirely. It adds nothing to the portrait, and it looks kind of bad compared to the head. If you need something to fill the space, some ice might be more appropriate.
I wholeheartedly agree.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »

I tried at editing the portrait:

I think the icicle is a bit big, I'll try raising it a bit.
EDIT:

EDIT2: Three with snow:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:31:35 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »

listen to the man, having nothing to the side of him is best.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »

listen to the man, having nothing to the side of him is best.
Here's icicle-less (but still with snow) version anyways:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:31:49 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

I approve.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Seriously, you're right, I never noticed what weapon he used, even when I played with him every time.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »

To be honest, after seeing all the updates, I'm not sure I like how it came out in the end. I think I'll try redoing it COMPLETELY sometime during the weekend when I have the time...unless, of course, Soul likes one of the recent edits.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 03:22:47 PM by Goodbye » Logged
Dailyman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:18 PM »

What's up with the random blue color in the upper-left corner
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2010, 04:14:21 PM »

What's up with the random blue color in the upper-left corner
It was part of goodbye's sprite. I assumed it was background stripes; but looking at them, the other portraits don't have the same effect.
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 04:27:35 PM »

Oh yeah, that might be a mess up on my part.
I really don't know how that happened, because I don't remember changing the color there, but my mouse is wacko at times and just randomly clicks, so maybe that's how it happened.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:31:35 PM by Goodbye » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »

Fixed than all. Now we just wait for more people (Soulliard) to comment on them.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 06:25:36 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »

Fixed than all. Now we just wait for more people (Soulliard) to comment on them.
Hand Thumbs Up Left
AND THEY'RE OFF!
nothingxs
Level 0

iji, god damnit.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

Here's a good way to avoid the infinite combo issue:

We create two states in the game: frozen and frosted.

The freezing attack does two things when it hits the opponent: it freezes then (the frozen state) and it prevents them from being frozen again (the frost state).

Any time a character is in the frozen state, the game checks to see whether they are not also in the frost state. If they are not, they are immediately placed in this state.

As long as the character is frozen, they are also in the frost state. When a character loses this frozen state by going into hitstun -- in other words, whenever the frozen state leads into a combo -- the frost state remains active. Once a character reaches a state in which they are no longer in hitstun (ie. any state that actively accepts input other than directional influence, if you're familiar with that concept), the frost state remains for 6-12 frames after the combo is 'dropped' before it goes away. Frost does not 'reactivate' even if the character goes back into hitstun before frost runs out.

The point of this is to render the affected character immune to freezing. He or she is still damaged by a freezing attack, but the difference is that being hit by a freezing attack in frost state will simply knock the character downwards and back for a short distance with the main goal of grounding them as fast as possible -- so the freezing attack serves as both a potential combo starter (or linker to extend a combo), and as finisher. At any point in time, if a player 'drops a combo' on an opponent that's frosted, the character would start leaving this frost state the moment hitstun ends.

This could be open to abuse if a way is eventually found to put an opponent into a neutral state in which they can't avoid attacks but are open to being hit again -- particularly if no method to defend oneself exists. This kind of tactic is commonly known as a combo reset in fighting game circles.

The additional 6-12 frames of frost state after someone hits a neutral or attacking frame state tries to alleviate a situation where a reset could occur that immediately leads in to another freezing attack. Though, if resets become a problem, freezing attacks will be the least of your concern regarding any infinite combos.

Hopefully I got my idea across here well enough without managing to lose a million people in the process.

For sake of completion: a 'combo reset' looks something like

and is not necessarily a problem unless there's no possible way to defend or escape from it. This usually happens more in air-to-air combo situations in which case if you have no way of defending yourself in mid-air after leaving hitstun, it's really just a glorified juggle state.

- n o t h i n g x s -
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »

That's one possible way to handle it. I'll keep it in mind.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic