Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:07:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUFHO2 - Turn-based strategy game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: UFHO2 - Turn-based strategy game  (Read 10859 times)
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:02 AM »

I tried out the game and have some suggestion.

For the user interface, I was frusturated that there was an "empty space" between the smaller hexes where a mouse over wasn't registered.  A few times when I was close to the time limit, I found myself trying to make moves and just missing them because I didn't click close enough to the hex.  This would also happen when I was trying to move the aliens for the same reason.

For the gameplay, while I appreciate the pick-up-and-play simplicity, I have to agree a little bit with what eobit said about luck.   I certainly don't think it's "dumb luck", but I do think there is room for improvement.  A simple variation such as different play modes, a new item, or anything that would give the player more choices would improve the game in my opinion.  For example, what if you had a no time limit mode? Though it would drastically change the game, I would have personally preferred playing that way.

If you're familiar with "euro-style" board games, one of their defining and most valuable features is offering players multiple ways of achieving the same goal.  For me, this means the game stays fresh longer becasue there are always different strategies to try.  From this perspective, my criticism of this game is that as there is only one way to get the most gems (get there first by rotating stuff), it feels more lucky than strategic.

I do love the idea and the art.  I think it's a good game but with some work could be great.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:27:45 AM by sabajt » Logged

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »

I was frusturated that there was an "empty space" between the smaller hexes where a mouse over wasn't registered.  A few times when I was close to the time limit, I found myself trying to make moves and just missing them because I didn't click close enough to the hex.

The gap between rooms (and bigger hexagons, areas) is intentional and is made to let people get the overall silhouette of the hexagons more easily. Without the gap, it would look as if it was a bunch of hexagon all touching the others, thus giving the idea that they are all connected. For this reason we came up with the idea of 'corridors' instead of just doors.

We may though enlarge the hit area for the hexagon itself, so if you drag and release near an hexagon wall but still in the hexagon's space, the player moves (or the room rotates, etc.).
This could improve preciseness. The reason we didn't do it before was merely tied to the mouse events that Flash gives back when you are inside a movieclip.

a new item, or anything that would give the player more choices would improve the game in my opinion.   [...] there is only one way to get the most gems (get there first by rotating stuff), it feels more like a lucky than strategic.

I don't get it, as I said to eobet, did you play the 1vs1 with the powerups?
Also, there will be different characters each one with his own powers: http://blog.tinycolossus.com/
But this is not present in the demo right now.

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »

Didn't realize the new characters have unique movement rules, looks very cool.  Could you explain how they are incorperated into the game?  

As far as the power ups, they do add variety but it feels to increase the chaos and not the strategy for me.  That's just my opinon though Wink

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »

Didn't realize the new characters have unique movement rules, looks very cool.  Could you explain how they are incorperated into the game?

It depends, some are automated: the Hexabot, for instance, can drill through adjacent rooms. You just need to drag and release in a nearby room that's not connected as if you wanted to move there, and he'll drill through the wall (only once per turn).
Another one is the brain from Cortex Command: if on your last move you try to drag on another character, he'll use his brain powers to command him to move.

So you just select that character to play, and when it's time, you execute the moves he has. Or was the question different?

As far as the power ups, they do add variety but it feels to increase the chaos and not the strategy for me.  That's just my opinon though Wink

I guess you just need to get used to them - something that comes after a few matches. Sometimes even to decide wether to use them or not, it's part of the strategy.
That's why in the final story mode they will be introduced one by one in different matches.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 01:41:57 AM »

Wow this thread has some old news...! Here's how UFHO2 is progressing now:
I'm working hard on the new 3D Unity version. Game is coming along nicely, though there's still a lot to do. For now, you can play matches with up to four players but only humans, since the AI is still not in place fully.
Also, I haven't started on the online multiplayer.

Graphics are almost done, meaning I think I settled on an art style that I like (regarding textures, shaders, lights, etc.), though there's still a ton of assets to be done.

If you are a backer from Kickstarter, don't forget that I sent you a message to try the iOS version via TestFlight. If you missed it, message me (but do it only if you're one of the entitled backers!).

Some screens from the latest build:

Title screen

All the alien races in the game, each one with its own unique power

4 players match in the Training Room

Maaaaany powerups on the board!

The City in the Clouds

Dialogues in the story mode

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 12:34:34 AM »

WOW there's some old screens here! Let's put a new one.
#screenshotsaturday (except it's not saturday)

http://www.indiedb.com/games/ufho2/images/intro

Work in progress for the intro of the game.
I'm trying to define a quick way to narrate the facts which doesn't include static screens Smiley

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:03:57 AM »

Wow, UFHO2 has made it to the Top 50 Games of 2012 on SlideDB!  Tears of Joy
Votes are now in progress (and will be for another 6 days) on SlideDB for the best 10? (I guess)

You can vote UFHO2 here on the game's page:

(it just takes one click, no registration)

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

Hey everyone, it's been a long long time (forum says 120 days) since I posted in this thread... luckily for me, this time is the right one: UFHO2 is finished, and it's been released for both desktop and iPad!

Here's a juicy trailer to celebrate, wohooo:

You can find it on Desura, on the Humble Store, App Store

Of course there's still a lot of work to do, but in general, the most has been done!

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 03:09:21 AM »

Hey I've just found this: http://venuspatrol.com/2014/04/tigsource-devlog-visual-showcase-awesome-new-games-issue-20/
Thanks Bandreus for the mention!!

Now how do I move this thread in the 'completed' board?

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 04:31:26 AM »

Back with a super late update, with some news: UFHO2 has been finally greenlit, and thus it's coming to Steam soon!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/92926665/1423741183

Oh, and again: can somebody move this thread to the completed projects' section?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic