Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:26:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpherioid kinda platformer - first level [Need feedback]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spherioid kinda platformer - first level [Need feedback]  (Read 1219 times)
Stane
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2010, 04:10:15 AM »

I need some feedback guys. The first of my current project is up and running. I wanna test it. Only two kinds of baddies so far, but this is supposed to serve as an introductory level to game mechanics. More gimmicks yet to come.

Click here to play
http://www.stane-island.net/games/G1/
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:43:12 AM »

Your screenie is a filthy, filthy, lie!  Wink
... In that, after picking up the second ammo thingie, you still only have 5 ammo. Obviously, you've fixed this - as shown in your screenie, but perhaps that's not in the uploaded version? Anyway. Smiley

Hmmm. I'm not sure what kind of feedback you want. I did look at this the first time you posted it, but I couldn't come up with much meaningful to say at the time. It does look much nicer, of course. There were a few quick issues I found that I'll skip through for you to consider or completely ignore.

Technical Issue: No way to restart after the score screen comes up, except to reload the webpage.

Design Issue: The R button to engage screen rotation helps make the controls intuitive, but then the level itself becomes disorienting. Two possible suggestions I'd have to fix this is to colorize or decorate some spheres when you're on a sphere that branches out to more than one, in order to visually distinguish them. Or, a more complex suggestion, but also more useful, to have a minimap.

Game Mechanics Issue: It'd be nice if the invulnerability after getting hit lasted just one more second. There were a couple occasions where I jumped, hit an enemy - so bounced - and then the invulnerability faded just as I'd land, onto a nicely placed spike, or another enemy. That seemed to defeat the purpose of the invulnerability. Smiley

Visual issue: It's actually kind of. . . hm. Maybe not distracting? But off-putting, with the black sworl in the middle that doesn't move, IMHO.

It's really pretty fun. I kept retrying it until I finished the level - it was a lot easier with the screen rotation on, although I think my balance is a little messed up just now..

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:56:36 AM »

It's definitely way easier to play with screen rotation on (though I initially thought the R was to restart or something) but also way easier to get lost.

hi
Stane
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:01:33 AM »

Hey, thanks for quick reply.

Game Mechanics Issue: It'd be nice if the invulnerability after getting hit lasted just one more second. There were a couple occasions where I jumped, hit an enemy - so bounced - and then the invulnerability faded just as I'd land, onto a nicely placed spike, or another enemy. That seemed to defeat the purpose of the invulnerability. Smiley

This is exactly the kind of feedback that I'm looking for. Nitpicking (in a good sense of the word)! Yay! I'll extend the invulnerability period.

Visual issue: It's actually kind of. . . hm. Maybe not distracting? But off-putting, with the black sworl in the middle that doesn't move, IMHO.

I was wondering about that myself. Probably I'll kill it.

It's really pretty fun. I kept retrying it until I finished the level - it was a lot easier with the screen rotation on, although I think my balance is a little messed up just now..

Balancing is really what I'm not good at, and need feedback to improve, so thanks for the small remarks.

As for the rest of the issues... I'm still wondering about rotation of the whole world vs. rotation of the character. One is hard to control the other-one is disorienting kinda. Minimap is a possibility, only I fear it wouldn't solve the problem. The idea at the moment is to switch between two modes of the game in certain situations. The default layout kinda fucks the player up when you are on the bottom of the planetoid, and then left and right buttons seam contra intuitive. This maybe solved with clever level design, one where most of action would happen on the top side of the planetoids...

Oh and yeah I forgot to mention, when you pick up the second ammo item ya get a new kind o gun, Z and X are for circling through guns now. I'll add a screen that explains the controls, and something intuitive to signal that when you pick up ammo.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic