Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:47:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkPixel Artist WANTED for Project HowlJerk
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Artist WANTED for Project HowlJerk  (Read 9958 times)
HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm the Project Lead and Lead Programmer for HowlJerk Games. I'm at the point where my technology and tools are stable and ready for game content. I have a very fresh game design that I believe to be very original and a perfect fit for the iPhone. I'm in need for a pixel artist to assist me in this project to establish a cutesy-cartoon art style and to create art assets for the game. There might be an artist or two that you will have to work with.

So, to make it clear, this is not a paid position. All of the developers that are included in this project are in it for the love of creating games and a great resume boost. I plan on getting this game to the app store, so there will be possible profit from this, if the game is to turn out how I hope. Also, I've architected the engine to be multi-platform, so we could be possibly targeting more platforms than just the iPhone. But our main objective is for iPhone release.

If you want to know more about me, please go to http://howljerk.com. It includes my bio, my 3D game project (which I was Project Lead for), my resume, and any Project HowlJerk updates that are needed to be made. If you are interested, please contact me from any feasible way you see fit, from the site I just posted. If you have any questions, about the game design in particular, I'll be happy to share in a more private matter.

Thank you very much for your time guys, I look forward to hearing from some pixel artists! Smiley

-Michael Romero       
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »

Please read the rules of this board.

There are only four of them, and you basically broke them all (okay, more like violated 2 and molested another one).
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »

Michael Romero?

Romero?

...no relation I suppose?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:20:41 PM »

Please read the rules of this board.

There are only four of them, and you basically broke them all (okay, more like violated 2 and molested another one).

You're right, I apologize. Perhaps I get a new member reprieve? Well in any case, do as you see fit with the topic.

And to Melly, yeah the relation is there.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »

Hey, Michael - I moved the thread to the Fun Collabs sub-board.  If at any point you want to turn this into a paid hunt, let me know, and I'll move it back.
Rock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 04:27:56 PM »

I sent an E-Mail, I would love to see what you have in mind  Smiley
HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »

I sent an E-Mail, I would love to see what you have in mind  Smiley
Hello there, did you send me an email at [email protected]? I haven't received your email yet.
Rock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »

I sent an E-Mail, I would love to see what you have in mind  Smiley
Hello there, did you send me an email at [email protected]? I haven't received your email yet.

I did from your site. I'll try again

EDIT:Sent
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »

I Big Laff at all the people who offer unpaid positions as if it is some amazing opportunity to boost their resume.

Good luck finding someone reputable! You're gonna need it.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »

I Big Laff at all the people who offer unpaid positions as if it is some amazing opportunity to boost their resume.

Good luck finding someone reputable! You're gonna need it.

Why would you laugh at that? Many indie developers don't have the expenses to hire artists. All I can offer is the potential for them to be part of a cool game developing experience that CAN boost their resume.

Thanks for the credible input.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 12:01:26 AM by HowlJerk » Logged
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 03:05:13 AM »

I find that any portfolio building work when starting out is good. I forsee Dan & I taking on unpaid projects in the future but only to a certain extent. The person should get something out of it though, besides experience, but that's in the interests of the employer, as it where!

I suppose accreditation would be the main thing and a good referral! Anyway, best of luck!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »

Hi Micheal, your father is like the coolest dude ever in the industry :] I had the opportunity to chat a bit with him back then about two of my favorites games ever, Anachronox and Quake.
Wasn't you working on Slipgate Ironworks btw?

Best luck with your project, I'd give an hand but I'm terribly busy starting my own company atm Undecided

Don't mind people being rough, they're usually like that when someone arrives offering unpaid jobs as his first post but this community is the best and more friendly you can find believe me Smiley

oh, If you only need pixel artists try to post also on pixeljoint or some other pixel art related community too
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:06:54 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »

The artist should definitely get more than just experience from the product. I plan on an app store release, so there's a good chance for money to be made. If there's money made from the project, the exact details will disclosed to the artists that are interested. I'm just not making any promises. It really just comes down to one thing; are the other developers finishers?

I've been getting some solid pixel artist applicants. I'll also take a look at "pixeljoint". Thanks for the kind words, you two.

Btw, Anachronox is awesome Smiley. And yes, I was a part of Slipgate Ironworks.
goldbuick
Level 1

where am I?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »

I am sorry  Concerned

I read your name as How I Jerk instead of Howl Jerk

--== AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ==--
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »

People are just skeptical of unpaid jobs from people who's work they're unfamiliar with.  This:

It really just comes down to one thing; are the other developers finishers?

...is also what the artists are wondering about you!  So it's a bit of risk on both sides.

But also check out Way of the Pixel if you're looking for artists.  They have an unpaid jobs forum:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?PHPSESSID=b0956381bcd2d788ace22c8dc893a241&board=6.0

I think I'll change the name of this board to "Unpaid Collaborations" to make it more explicit.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »

Hmm, this seems like an interesting prospect and I happen to be a pixel artist, with some of my work featured in a released game (Dark Void Zero on DSi)... But my style is somewhere between NES-era and SNES, so I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. Plus, I've got my hands pretty full at the moment with a lot of other projects. It would be cool to work with the progeny of a legend, though  Beer!

EDIT: What kind of game is it, by the way? Can you divulge any details?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:44:10 AM by phubans » Logged

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »

I am sorry  Concerned

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now I get it.

hi
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »

You're not the only one..
Rock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »

You're not the only one..

Same here, Im still willing to help sprite if you need an artist 
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »

I can't say how much I loathe the "Something for your resume" line as a reason to work unpaid.  No other profession has to deal with it - would you ask a surgeon to operate on you for free, saying he can put it on his resume?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic