Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:16:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkPixel Artist WANTED for Project HowlJerk
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Artist WANTED for Project HowlJerk  (Read 9959 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »

Having a finished/released game on your resume can sometimes be worth more than an actual game contract if you're looking at how its worth later. And also, surgeons go pro-bono all the time, so do lawyers.

HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »

I can't say how much I loathe the "Something for your resume" line as a reason to work unpaid.  No other profession has to deal with it - would you ask a surgeon to operate on you for free, saying he can put it on his resume?

It takes risk and time to break into the Game Industry, especially nowadays. I thought this was common knowledge for anybody trying to get their foot in the door.

Alright, so I have a good list of candidates at this point. However, there have been no finalities. To the people that have posted before me that are interested, go ahead and email me. I can tell you what I'm looking for, and if you're interested in knowing the basics of my game design, I can send a couple of .pdfs your way. I'm trying to keep the design of the game as tight-lid as possible. Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:38:51 PM by HowlJerk » Logged
Parthon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »

I can't say how much I loathe the "Something for your resume" line as a reason to work unpaid.  No other profession has to deal with it - would you ask a surgeon to operate on you for free, saying he can put it on his resume?

Acting is another area where they do this.

I guess in the 'entertainment' industry more people want to get in than positions available. Perhaps because of a misplaced vision of glamour and fame.
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »

I can't say how much I loathe the "Something for your resume" line as a reason to work unpaid.  No other profession has to deal with it - would you ask a surgeon to operate on you for free, saying he can put it on his resume?

This is untrue - lots of people do unpaid internships. Yeah, its not quite the same thing, but its still free work, essentially just for the resume and personal development.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:32 AM »

Hoping his name and brilliant ideas alone will get the crowds to follow him? Well he is a Romero all right.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 04:31:11 AM »

This is a nice community except for when it is a really unpleasant quagmire of nastiness.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 06:09:55 AM »

You know what? Fuck yes I will be nasty. When people look at the brilliant artists in this community and treat them as some kind of free labor they can get in exchange for some hypothetical word of praise to someone who may have lots of money that may or may not be sent their way, I will become Samuel Fucking Jackson on their heads. I will unleash the goddamn Large Cussword Collider on fifteen generators of ancestors of people that think not only money makes their ideas good, the mere possibility of money makes their ideas good.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 06:36:22 AM »

You know what? Fuck yes I will be nasty. When people look at the brilliant artists in this community and treat them as some kind of free labor they can get in exchange for some hypothetical word of praise to someone who may have lots of money that may or may not be sent their way, I will become Samuel Fucking Jackson on their heads. I will unleash the goddamn Large Cussword Collider on fifteen generators of ancestors of people that think not only money makes their ideas good, the mere possibility of money makes their ideas good.
If you feel that way then maybe you shouldn't be browsing the unpaid collabs board. The only thing you're going to find here is unpaid work so if that offends you then maybe you should only browse the paid work board in future. Just a thought. Shrug

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 06:41:07 AM »

I was going to say that maybe we should keep opinionated topics in a thread that invites them. And please do not claim to say that he has invited this kind of behaviour. The guy is looking for unpaid collabs, if he finds he, good on him, if not, then it's not changing our lives, if I saw this stuff in my thread in the jobs area i'd be getting quite annoyed at the lack of replies actually referring to the topic in a helpful way.

Anyway, not spending more posts besides this dispensing my opinion, it's not really in sync with the intentions of the threads creation.

HowlJerk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »

Yeah, it's a little sad that this thread had to spawn up negativity.

Zaratustra: Take a valium and go nap, or something.

I have found a very good and "reputable" pixel artist that is now on board. This thread is no longer necessary.

Take it easy, guys.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »

You can click the lock thread button on the bottom left to prevent further rants. Sorry to hear so many people instantly got on the attack on an "UNPAID COLLAB" board. Good luck on the game!

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »

I think I'll change the name of this board to "Unpaid Collaborations" to make it more explicit.

Yeah and maybe you could change the name of the site to indiegamer while you're at it

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
falsion
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 04:34:14 PM »

You can click the lock thread button on the bottom left to prevent further rants. Sorry to hear so many people instantly got on the attack on an "UNPAID COLLAB" board. Good luck on the game!

Looks like people got Daiktana flashbacks after seeing that this guy was Romero's son. Man, he must get jokes about that all the time. I can't even imagine what that's like.

Anyway, yeah. This thread has served its purpose. Time to lock it and move on. Nothing to see here.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »

I was hoping it wouldn't get ugly, but it did.  Locked.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic