Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:21:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNMcCoy's Weekly Games [#03: Color Meltdown]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NMcCoy's Weekly Games [#03: Color Meltdown]  (Read 1162 times)
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »

This one's a puzzle game! It had an interesting development process... for more on that, read the writeup on the site. Anyway, go check it out and let me know what you think! I'm particularly wanting some feedback on this one, as it's got a deliberately experimental puzzle mechanic and I'm wondering what people will think of it. NMcCoy.net!  Hand Any KeyWell, hello there!Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:51:47 PM by NMcCoy » Logged

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
ross
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:42:34 PM »

Your link is broken, fyi.

I tried it out. I couldn't figure out the mechanic at all. I have no idea what's going on. The directions are pretty confusing, since it says to put colors on opposite sides of a white tile, but as far as I can tell it's impossible to get a white tile to stay on the board. It also says matched colors turn white. But what does matched mean? And it's also misleading since you can't have white tiles staying on the board.

Anyway, I quickly discovered that there's a time limit and "matching" stuff gets you more time. Also white blocks come at a regular interval. So you're penalized for carefully considering moves, and not penalized at all for placing blocks in bad spots, as they just overwrite what's there. The best strategy seems to be to rapidly and randomly click as quickly as you possibly can. My time kept going up and up just from random clicking.

I still have no idea what counts as a match, even after watching my random clicks for a couple minutes. Sorry Sad
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:57:10 PM by ross » Logged
NMcCoy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I explained it well (and in fact that wording is an artifact of an earlier game mechanic). Place white tiles between other tiles of the same color. So if you have
RGBGR
Place a white tile on the blue tile, and the two green ones turn white - then the red ones are on opposite sides of a span of white tiles, so they change too, and so on.

Dragondot 2 is out now! Go get it!
ross
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I explained it well (and in fact that wording is an artifact of an earlier game mechanic). Place white tiles between other tiles of the same color. So if you have
RGBGR
Place a white tile on the blue tile, and the two green ones turn white - then the red ones are on opposite sides of a span of white tiles, so they change too, and so on.
ahhhh, now it makes sense. Gotcha. That's pretty complicated to plan ahead!

BTW I like the sound (plays a song when you get long combos Smiley as well as the way the next colors are displayed.

Hey I can get pretty long combos easily now. This is fun.
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »

This really confused me at first (before I read your last post), the blocks appeared to turn white at random.  Once I understood the pattern though, it was fun.  You have to actually plan ahead, and you are given enough time to do so!  This is something I was never able to do in Tetris and similar games because the time limit was too strict.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »

Took me a couple of minutes to get the hang of it, but yeah I did find myself able to think about how I was playing it more towards the end.  I think something turn-based rather than time-attack might be interesting to look at.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic