Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1398421 Posts in 67594 Topics- by 60936 Members - Latest Member: ShayLo

January 26, 2022, 08:44:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingChronaccoon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Chronaccoon  (Read 3178 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

'Hoy!
I hope I'm putting this in the correct forum section...

Some months ago, I participated in a little 36-hour game making competition, and ended up making a game called "Chronaccoon".  It's a puzzle/platformer where you play as this obscenely cute little raccoon character who can, at any time, jump back in time and play alongside himself of the past.  You're supposed to cooperate with these past instances to get through the levels, for whatever reason comes up.  Typical puzzle/platformer fare, y'know.

Anyway, I liked the idea, and have since been trying to make it into a more complete (and less buggy) game.  So:

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/chronaccoon-new.zip

There's still a lot of temporary graphics in there (I've never been good with backgrounds), and there's no menu system or any sort of comprehensive link between all the levels to speak of (so please excuse the cheap level select that's in there), but the game itself should be playable enough.
Just make sure you run the config program first, so that you know what the controls are.

...So I'm looking for any sort of opinion on the game so far, if it's fun enough to play, and worthwhile to continue making...  If the concepts make sense and the levels of appropriate difficulty so far...

...And that's it for now.  Let me know what you think!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »

It's the feedback forum, you're looking for feedback, and you're not posting as a spastic manbaby.

I think that covers all bases, yeah. Tongue *sheaths chainsaw*

I'll be playing it later, but for now I can say that the only one that should decide whether it's worthwhile to continue developing it is yourself.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »

"The only one...

That should decide...

Whether it's worthwhile...

To continue developing it...

...is yourself."
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »

Ah crappit...

Isn't it true though?

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 11:26:37 PM »

That picture is terrifying.

Her right eye is expanding to devour her face.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:59:08 AM »

That's just a little thing called MANGA, or ANIME if it starts moving, which can be even more terrifying.

Played the game, and so far I like the concept and the graphics, though when you get around to actually making the backgrounds make sure the foreground and background are a bit more discernible. When I was first playing it got a bit confusing because the colors and tones were very similar.

Also, you might wanna polish the game a bit more before showing it around, with a proper way to turn it off at least. Having to use Alt + F4 feels like it was a bit too rushed.

Really like the graphics and the gameplay is interesting, though you may wanna work a bit on the collision detection between racoons, as I found myself being pushed into the ground when my clones hopped onto me. Also make sure you make it obvious to the player the fact the clones CAN collide with the player because that was a pretty nasty surprise (I was pushed into a pit).

The game also ran slow on some levels. Optimization may be required.

Hope to see more updates. By the way the hopping enemies are too cute! I felt bad killing them with my hadouken magics. Tongue Especially since they only look like they're hooping around, having some fun. How would you feel if you were just hopping around platform-land for simple fun when an army of racoon clones starts killing your comrades with energy bolts?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 9

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:18:29 AM »

too much bloom

@doomlaser, mark johns
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

Of course... so if I believe in myself, and in the power of love, and have trust in my friends, and maybe a few other anime clich├ęs, I will know whether or not this game's worth keeping!

...an-y-way...

Thanks for the feedback, Melly!
I guess I never really noticed all of the polish/presentation details that I forgot about (like exiting the game)...

The past instances always have movement preference over the future ones, so that you don't get in the way of your previous self and mess things up.  Of course, this means that the past instances will push you around if you're in the way, or stomp you into the ground if it comes to it.  Do you think it'd be better if they acted more like passable platforms than solid objects, so that you could still jump on their heads, but so they wouldn't displace you?

It's also my first attempt at having multiple instances of the same object collide with/get displaced by one another, so the code may be a bit... lacking in optimization, I'm afraid.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »

Well, it really depends on what you ask of them in your level design. If all you need them for is to keep buttons pressed, shoot and serve as moving platforms, you can make them simpler in their interaction with the player (but still keep them with the priority). Like make you only collide with them from the top, for example, since so far I've only seen them be needed as climbing platforms, but I could be forgetting something.

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »

Going to dl soon -- thinking solid object wouldn't be bad if your past self could stand and make a platform for you to jump off of, and you just have to jump over old selves if they are in the way, or maybe you can freely move horizontally. DLing soon.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:40:48 PM »

Some thoughs:

1. I don't like the "retry system" when we die. Think you could just restart the game. I understand you want to make puzzles, but when we fall on a cliff... well, there's nothing a player can do about it but push "retry"...

2. The warp system is an interesting pattern I found on other games as well, at Kongregate. But perhaps the game would benefit if you focus the mechanics more around it.

For example, The scrolling system of a platform mechanics in your game makes it much difficult (if not impossible) for the player to be able to finish the level in just one attempt. It's important to level design in order players could finish the level in just one attempt, even the most hard ones.

3. Couldn't exit the game but through Task Manager...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic