Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411885 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 06, 2024, 02:37:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWorld of Progress Beta: Need Feedback / Testing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: World of Progress Beta: Need Feedback / Testing  (Read 993 times)
tr0n42
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »

Good afternoon TIGForums,

First off, I'm new here.  I've read TIGSource for ages but never posted.  However, I've been working on a project for the past few months as my first foray into actually seeing something through.  You can view a poor excuse for a dev blog at http://segfaultgames.blogspot.com.

The theme of my project was the "zero-player" genre, made famous by Progress Quest.  I loved watching my little character beat things down and buy better stuff.  But the personal connection was limited and the interface was bare-bones.  Its charm was that I didn't have to do anything in order to reap the rewards, however insignificant they may be.

So I put on my programming cap a few years later and built "World of Progress."  It's what's I'd call a Beta now.  It's probably got some bugs and it's probably not up everyone's alley, but I wanted to bring Progress Quest into a more attractive wrapper as well as add some immersion into the game.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5mj4ny5meqm/WofP_Beta_21110.exe

World of Progress is a World of Warcraft themed zero player game.  No, you don't actually play WoW, but the character you create performs most of the same functions that one would in the game, including questing, raiding, dungeon runs, and bartering.  The magic in this is that the game pulls from the WoWHead item database for loot drops.  You character will equip or sell it based on some shaky math in addition to earning achievements and acquiring mounts.  All of this leads up to an "Awesomeness Score" that is an aggregate of all of your adventures as well as the pride in knowing that your character has a unique equipment loadout, etc.

Note that World of Progress doesn't play by the rules of WoW (two 2 handed weapons?  sure!), nor is it very reverent.  It's full of nuances and innuendo that I put forth as a feeble attempt at humor.  It's got a little bit of language, too.  But I wanted it to be a tongue-in-cheek simulation of some of the thoughts people have while playing WoW.  I'd recommend reading the latest Blog entry to see some of the game mechanics before asking my why your character has no attack power or strength...

So without further ado, I submit a World of Progress Beta to you.  It's got a ways to go if people show interest and I hope that I don't get a cease and decist letter from Blizzard.

Under the screenie is the link.  It's a self extracting EXE that you can extract anywhere on your computer.  I suggest putting it on your desktop so you can easily delete it if it sucks Smiley.

Thanks for your consideration!

Tr0n

PS -- Some info to meet forum guidelines:

System Reqs:  Windows XP/Vista/7 w\ latest .NET Framework.

Type of Feedback:  Feedback on the ideas put forth in the game and if it runs on your PC.  Suggestions for features will be asked for later.

Failure to introduce oneself in the sticky's post:  My bad.  I shall shed a tear for my insolence.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:46:41 AM by tr0n42 » Logged
shig
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »

Weird. I can't get this thing to start the download...
Frostblade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:55:41 AM »

But I wanted it to be a tongue-in-cheek simulation of some of the thoughts people have while playing WoW.

If you were to work on this aspect a little more, the game could work out pretty well; but as it is now, it's a bit too clinical. The activities in particular should probably be expanded to two or three sentences each, and the journal might benefit from a little more commentary.

I think you need to aim for either accuracy (so that people are impressed by the game) or humour (so that people find it entertaining). It looks like you're trying to have both at once, and I really don't think it's working out.

Under the screenie is the link.  It's a self extracting EXE that you can extract anywhere on your computer.

It might just be me, but I almost deleted the game when I saw that it used an installer. I'm still kind of worried that you might have packaged a virus with it or something; why not simply release the .zip or. rar file?

Just one final niggle: Could the main "activity" bar be made to increase smoothly rather than in steps? It's kind of irritating to watch.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:03:42 AM by Frostblade » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic