Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:19:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Code/Text Editors?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Code/Text Editors?  (Read 10717 times)
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 02:59:13 AM »

I use vim for all my coding needs. It has a learning curve, but it's easily overcome with vimtutor and the help files. Not to mention getting a decent vimrc configuration file (I can give you mine if you want)..

Other than that, E and Cream is what I use on Windows. Good editors both of them, especially if you like TextMate on the Mac (regarding E).

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 04:30:56 AM »

Bad Sector: I was wondering when someone was going to mention Eclipse. Smiley Tried it ages ago, I think I wrote it off too quickly due to being Java-based. I'll give it a fair go next time I try it. jEdit has convinced me that a decent app can be written in Java.

skaldicpoet9: Haven't tried KWrite, it seemed a little simple, and not really what I was after. Kate is actually pretty good, but it does have its issues, and they were frustrating enough that I was looking to move on. I think the killer for me (for Kate) was the lack of easy text filtering. I had to write a lot of my own stuff to get around the limitations, and it just frustrated me. I use text filtering plus custom bindings heavily, so they are key features for me. However, if you don't need decent text filtering, I imagine Kate would potentially be very suitable. Smiley

ravuya: TextMate is available for Mac and seemingly not Linux, which makes me a little sad. Sad I haven't seen it in action. Going from the online docs, it seems to have some nice things like text filtering, though I couldn't tell from a read through if you could bind these filters to keys. How does it stand up to the list of features I had in my original post?

idiotmeat: Another one for Eclipse. Smiley Anyway, re emacs, I still use it a bit for the quick-and-dirty stuff. Since I've been using it for years I'm quite used to it. For serious development though, I started getting a bit frustrated with it a few months ago, so started to move on to other things.

postlogic: Personally, vim's not really my kettle of fish- brief reasons earlier in thread. It certainly looks powerful, but is really not for me.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »

I use vim usually but I have come upon a new favorite...

eclipse + vi plugin.  I can do all my super fast typing with no mouse just like vi but then when I want to let the editor do stuff for me (like decide what imports I need and finish my statements and such) it's all there to. 
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 07:59:35 AM »

The trouble with recommending text editors is that there's genuinely so much personal preference involved. A while back I had several people independently recommend UltraEdit to me. So I tried it out for a bit and really couldn't work out why they liked it. A few interrogrations later and it turned out that in all cases there was ultimately only one factor: ease of use.

And that's the thing about editors. Vim and Emacs are both enormously powerful. If you ever take the time to properly learn either one, you'll never look back. But for some people the last thing they want to get distracted by whilst learning to program is also learning a fiendishly complex text editor.

I used to be something of an advocate for emacs, but I've since learned to keep my mouth shut in most situations. I've watched colleagues spending as much as an hour on a task which would take only a few minutes in emacs. But what I've come to realise is that it doesn't really matter. What matters most is that your editor should not distract you from the business of programming.

So ultimately my recommendation is: try several editors and see what you like.

* Vim seems to be a popular choice amongst serious programmers who touch-type.
* Emacs is a good choice if all you care about is power and don't mind spending a day or two configuring the editor you'll use for the next sixty years. (I agree about the auto-indent incidentally, but then I run few defaults.)
* UltraEdit and TextPad seem to have a lot of fans amongst people who still want a good editor but also value ease of use.

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 02:42:14 PM »

I use "Flash Develop" for my code work.
Before that I also used UltraEdit, but after I Switched to AS3 its a big Pain to Work without a good Code Completion and Generating.
Well, even when the name is "Flash Develop" you can use it for almost any other Code language Smiley
And its free.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »

I use Emacs for anything that doesn't have a good IDE of its own.  But mostly that's because I'm friggin' stubborn and I'm determined to get to Level 70 on Emacs, where it stops being a level grind and instead becomes an experience of Pure Hacking L33tness.

I think I'm up to level 23.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2008, 01:55:01 AM »

If UltraEdit is mentioned, I think one should at least also mention PSPad. It is free and I truly think it rivals with UE with respect to user friendliness and is just as complete with respect to support.

I have some vim experience, but I kinda hate you don't have shift-select to select multiple lines of text etc (just recently found out about d, still not used to it).

Eclipse is allright, but definitely not friendly for Limux outsiders, as it then requires Java-support to run as an X-app. Which means slow. If anyone finds the option to set anti-aliasing off, that would be great (hoping it will speed things up a bit).

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 05:13:45 AM »

I use Notepad++. Mostly because I needed to get an editor with Python highlighting quickly, and that was the first i found Tongue

iarwain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 12:02:08 AM »

I have used emacs for years and let it go around 2000 (changing millenium, changing editor?) because, even if I loved the ability to edit macros in LISP which gave me the possibility to automate a lot of stuff, it lacked the ability of fast visual file crawling in big projects and a few other things. I'm also probably less a geek now than I used to be. Smiley

Nowadays, beside MSVS that I use at work (which I don't really like), I mostly code on Eclipse + CDT.
I love the C/C++ syntax highlighting of the last release of CDT, even if the code completion is still perfectible (CDT gets easily lost when parts of your project rely on macros). Eclipse is a great tool for Java and a pretty good one for C/C++ with CDT.
I've tried CodeBlocks, DevC++, Anjuta, KDevelop, and some more exotic ones but they were as bad as CDT for code completion and had less features than Eclipse+CDT. I'm still on a search for a perfect IDE, and it's not likely to end anytime soon!

Lately, when I wanted to make quick changes to code files (with no debugging) I used Notepad++ or PSPad (I don't know yet which one I prefer so I keep alternating till I find out ^^).

Thanks for mentioning Sublime though, I didn't know this one and I love the Minimap feature, I'd love to see this kind of feature on more editors. Smiley

On a side note, when trying to figure out how a C/C++ project is working I recommend using Source Navigator along any other IDE to facilitate the understanding of its architecture and code.

My 2 cents...
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »

Sooooo I started learning Vim. I had no idea a text editor could do this kind of thing! It's very hard to learn, but holy crap, it's amazing! Shocked
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2008, 01:27:29 PM »

So what can it do? Other than edit text?

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

This is what convinced me to try it.

Also, it makes puppies come out of your CD tray.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2008, 03:47:07 PM »

I told y'all.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »

Also, it makes puppies come out of your CD tray.

In emacs: Alt-x create-puppies-and-kittens

(heh heh heh)
waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »

Slickedit with Brief keymapping is my choice.  I love it for the column cut/paste, block indentation, programmable macros.
Corpus
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 09:06:16 AM »

Yeah, I became a vim convert about a week after I described its visuals as "eye-melting" in this very thread :D
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »

Dammit, stop talking about how vim is awesome or I'll end up trying to master both that *and* emacs.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 11:32:14 AM »

I still don't know why vim is great.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

because it's like playing the piano of code.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »

but seeing as how I never have any ideas on what i want to code that sounds really unnecessary.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic