Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:23:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnlike Roguelike
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Unlike Roguelike  (Read 6387 times)
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:06:16 AM »

Unlike Roguelike
A roguelike unlike any other!

Alright I recently have decided to challenge myself and try to create a roguelike. This will be the devlog for that project.You can check the update log for whats new or just download it and find out for yourself. Also make sure to check the most recent posts for extra info. Here is the link:

Here is a screenshot of the newest version:

ASCII Key

@ = You
+ = Doors
. = Floor
! = Treasure
a-z = Enemies
x = Boss

Controls

There are three main areas of control; moving, menu and aiming.

Movement:
Use the arrow keys to move in their respective directions and use space to go into the menu.

Menu:
Use up and down to move your cursor (Text in yellow)and use space to select the item. If the menu item has a sub menu, it will expand and you can select it again to hide the sub menu. If you select exit you will go back to movement. Otherwise you will continue to aiming.

Aiming:
Use the arrow keys to move your cursor (the yellow blinking square) around. The chance of hitting your target is displayed at the top of the screen. Press space on any square to fire your weapon at that square. Press space on yourself and you will cancel the attack and go back to the menu. If you hover over and enemy, it's stats will be displayed below yours on the bottom left side of the screen.

Update Log

Version 0.1.1

-Added a following view
-Added lighting engine

Version 0.1.2

-Added a basic hud
-Added health meter on the hud
-Added a minimap

Version 0.1.3

-Added the foundation for the menu system
-Added a basic menu
-Added a switching between controlling character and between the menu

Version 0.2

-Added fully functioning tree style menu
-Added a treasure system
-Modified minimap for better visibility
-Added event system (on the bottom of the hud
-Added stats and stat boosters (given out by treasure)
-Optimized from 9fps to 30fps
-Name change (until I find a better name)

Version 0.2.1

-Added enemies
-Tweaked the event system
-Tweaked treasure system
-Changed .exe to .zip file

Version 0.3

-Added combat system
-Added Status Effects (Burns, Shock, Chemical Burns)
-Changed font for less cluttered HUD
-Modified this post with more info.

Please download and enjoy and if you have anything to add please comment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:30:44 PM by Sean A. » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »

Opens up a giant window for me. But, pretty cool so far. Don't forget diagonal movement and the ability to run (by holding down a direction key). A lot of beginner roguelikes forget those two things. Makes a big difference though.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:20:34 PM »

I wasn't really planning on adding diagonal movement but I'll take it into consideration. Also instead of tapping the key in the future you will be able to hold down the button to continue moving in a direction.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »

Interesting... Will be following.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »

Sounds good, also check the updated first post for a new version + screenshot and the change log.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »

If you're really set on doing one,
be a hero, don't use a million hot keys.  Gentleman
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »

yeah, use a million and one.

But seriously, could always do with another RL. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 02:47:39 PM »

I'm not going to. If I finish this before Yoyogames handheld comp ends then I'm going to submit it and the limit there is arrow keys and one other key. That kinda been my goal; to refine the roguelike genre with easier controls and simpler everything (e.g. if you walk into a treasure chest your gonna loot it so it will do that automatically). Also I have been planning to not have my rogue in the medieval time period (oh the horrors!).

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot, I am doing away with the stupid race and class selecting and the lame generated backstory. It's gonna be right into the action. You wont even need a manual to figure out how to play. I also might have saving.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:57:22 PM »

You're a genius. I like RL gameplay, but not the huge amounts of buttons. I love you.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »

I really didn't think anybody else felt that way and enjoyed the outrageous amounts of buttons because it was "hard-core" and "true to it's roots". Anyway I would like to upload the theme song but I can seem to get MilkyTracker to export the song as a .wav
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »

I'm not going to. If I finish this before Yoyogames handheld comp ends then I'm going to submit it and the limit there is arrow keys and one other key. That kinda been my goal; to refine the roguelike genre with easier controls and simpler everything (e.g. if you walk into a treasure chest your gonna loot it so it will do that automatically)...

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot, I am doing away with the stupid race and class selecting and the lame generated backstory. It's gonna be right into the action. You wont even need a manual to figure out how to play. I also might have saving.

ilu forever for the simplified interface.
Allow your players to replace the the ASCII chars with a tileset and you'll have an epic game.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:16:34 PM »

I was thinking of doing that but I lack the graphical talent. I may add some thing where you can replace the images with your own (ie store them externally).
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »

That's actually how most ASCII games work these days.
I'm pretty sure nethack and DwarfFortress let you do that.

But if you do that, plan ahead so you can replace -all- the graphics externally.
It's a bit off to have a fully tiled world with letter 'g's running about haha
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 04:37:55 PM »

True, although if I do that I will probably have to give up on entering the comp, but I don't think I can finish it now even without adding that feature. Also MilkyTracker was cooperating so I now have the title song and I will upload shortly. I am also working on the HUD as we speak.

Edit: Sorry the song is so big I haven 't compressed it yet. Please listen and give me feedback though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:42:51 PM by Ginosmooth » Logged
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »

I just uploaded the new version with a new screenshot, check the update log for changes. I am working on the menu system right now and it is still planned to only use arrow keys and one other button. Also if you guys can think name ideas, that would be good too. I have a couple but they are both related to politics and that's not what this game is about.
Outcast Orange
Level 0

Orange as a turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

Ooh, looks really sweet.
Please continue with the goodness.

My dead blog: http://outcastorange.blogspot.com/<br /><br />Current Project: Huh?
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 07:23:32 PM »

New update today with a basic menu system added. I plan to have it with a collapsible menu tree kinda thing. Check the first post for the new link and screenshot and check it out. The next update should have the whole tree system up and running as well as some treasure in the dungeon (maybe). Thanks for your support.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »

Alright so I haven't abandoned this, I've just been busy. I had an hour today to work on it and the menu system is completely working. But I am not going to release an update until I put in the treasure system (so you can unlock things and see all the menu has to offer). That should be done this week so stay tuned.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

The new update is out! It's a big one and you  can check the update log for info but some of the highlights are; a treasure system, a menu system, a framerate boost that more than triples the old framerate and more. Please check it out and let me know what you think. Also the treasure system reveals the first 4 guns, all 5 ammo types, the first 5 grenades, the first 2 items and the boosters... if you're lucky enough to get them of course!

Edit: I made a temporary name until I choose a better one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:51:35 PM by Ginosmooth » Logged
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »

Yet another sweet update! This time the main focus was adding enemies, they are now in and will attack you. How the system works is that each enemy is represented by a different alphabet letter, the lower it is alphabetically the more powerful it is. For example "Y" is quite a bit more powerful than "C". With the exception of the letter "X" which is a boss. As of now you can't fight back but that will be in the next version. I am also working on a toggle between text view and tile view and I am working on the tiles right now. Please download and/or comment and give me some feedback. The feedback makes the game better for you so help me help you!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic