Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:49:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsThe misery thread
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The misery thread  (Read 17907 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »

For all of us who isn't there  Cry

I wish I was at GDC
Sharing all your happy glee
Next time love with Derek get
As Oxeye comes in private jet

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »

I hope I'll be in GDC in around six years. Can you guys wait for me there? Tongue
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »

I'll be at GDC, when I become a GD.

olücæbelel
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »

I'll be at GDC, when I become a GD.

quoted for emphasis. what's the point of GDC by the way?
Corpus
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:24:39 PM »

Getting drunk, networking and promoting your shiz. And going to/giving conferences about game design.

Basically, it's like a conference for game developers.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »

I think I'll be in San Francisco around late April sometime, actually.

Can you guys just tell the good folks at GDC to wait up?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Jolli
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 02:36:38 PM »

let us write emo poems
in this thread
cut cut cut
my arms are red
 Angry

Jolli
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:26:28 PM »

only GDC?   Undecided
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »

The noon bell rings at 2:03
And I wonder
Why
Are there so many goats in the world?

Cool

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »

Yup. Only.

There's other events to meet fellow TIGers at. Ones that don't cost $750 for an okay-ish sorta pass, or $1995 for one that most people would like. (Of course, if you're a IGF finalist or your studio's paying for you, that doesn't matter). Ones that don't promote the heap of assumptions (about many things, from design to life), that many in the industry cling to. Ones that are interested in, y'know, progressing from Halo. (I'm making blanket statements here. Some people who go to GDC aren't actually like this, many of them indies, many of them with names like Keita Takahashi).

End of rant.
so, what, you went and you decided it wasn't that great? Otherwise, and more likely, I'm guessing you're just jealous (like the rest of us that can't go).

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

The fact that it's expensive doesn't make me wish I was there any less.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »

Good for you. Sure, it'd be nice to be there. But the actual GDC itself doesn't really interest me. Just find it pretty weird that people are sad they can't go to an event promoting much of what is bad in games...an event that's kinda against what a lot of indie devs stand for.

Indie devs stand against
game development, sharing tools, tips and technologies for unbridled professional learning, networking and fun
!??

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 10:39:20 PM »

I went to GDC last year but I didn't know any of you TIGers people back then. I booth hopped a little and distribute my resume to hiring managers. Still it was awesome just to walk in the presence of other game devs. As one of my firends said about Commicon "These are my people". Alas project deadlines at work keep from attending this year. Maybe next year I will learn to get stuff done on time. Human hugs to all of you who made it or want to make it.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Jolli
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »

Good for you. Sure, it'd be nice to be there. But the actual GDC itself doesn't really interest me. Just find it pretty weird that people are sad they can't go to an event promoting much of what is bad in games...an event that's kinda against what a lot of indie devs stand for.

Indie devs stand against
game development, sharing tools, tips and technologies for unbridled professional learning, networking and fun
!??
haha
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 11:24:23 PM »

Your stance intrigues me, in a funny kind of way...

It makes my brain turn inside out.

Huh?

Jolli
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »

you're funny edenb
GDC isnt a place where they chat about generic designs, its for new and great ideas and tech to be presented >: O
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »

"game development, sharing tools, tips and technologies for unbridled professional learning, networking and fun"

Most of them are pretty much against professional learning. That's why there's so many games that are kinda bad (not because of the GDC itself, but because they keep their ideas in a box and don't open their mind to new ones*.  Who knows what'd happen if they did!? We might have another Ico, Katamari or Rez on our hands. Shock horror!)
If they did indeed do professional learning, wouldn't we have advanced "the medium" (fancy pants la frenchman) a bit more? Instead we only have a few isolated examples that have advanced le medium.

*and that mode of thinking is endorsed by many who speak at GDC, and many who go there.

You are so full of shit, that its making me giggle.

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 12:09:34 AM »

I went last year.  I'm not attending this time, but will be hanging out Tuesday night because I live in the area.

It was sort of worth it last year, but only because the passes were affordable. I just think a dedicated Indie gathering would be much better than being a smaller part of GDC.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:24:24 PM by frosty » Logged

Eden
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 12:26:56 AM »

My point is, that nobody will learn anything groundbreaking at GDC. They may not learn anything at all. They may "learn" stuff they already know in a flashier manner.
I don't think that's full of shit at all.

So, where's the professional learning? Honestly, if I'm mistaken about this, I'm happy to revoke my points and apologize. But I've read (a lot of) the material that comes out of GDC for the last 4 years. What I learnt was: Keita Takahashi doesn't play many games, because they're not fun; Miyamoto wants us to design games that we wouldn't play; and Kondo finds the "speed" of each level/area in whatever game he's composing for. That's about it. Oh, and Suda says "Go Punk!"
And more importantly, where's the professional learning that's going to make a difference to the average indie's game?

"but because they keep their ideas in a box and don't open their mind to new ones"
Honestly, I've spoken to many who've been to GDC. They have pretty fixed ideas. Hell, Keita Takahashi was saying this a while ago. Is he full of shit, too?

Anyway. I don't mean to be a downer. More power to those who are going.
Lancer-X
Level 0

internet hate machine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 12:27:35 AM »

"game development, sharing tools, tips and technologies for unbridled professional learning, networking and fun"

Most of them are pretty much against professional learning. That's why there's so many games that are kinda bad (not because of the GDC itself, but because they keep their ideas in a box and don't open their mind to new ones*.  Who knows what'd happen if they did!? We might have another Ico, Katamari or Rez on our hands. Shock horror!)
If they did indeed do professional learning, wouldn't we have advanced "the medium" (fancy pants la frenchman) a bit more? Instead we only have a few isolated examples that have advanced le medium.

*and that mode of thinking is endorsed by many who speak at GDC, and many who go there.

I think Eden's more trying to say that the GDC is not valuable for what the typical indie is trying to do unless they are specifically there for the networking (with a product, etc.) The keynotes are definitely not worth the price of admission, or even your time.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic