Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:19:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)Reap [released]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Reap [released]  (Read 3054 times)
tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »

Congrats to those still in the running!

Here's a blog post about the game with a link to download.
http://tyrone-henrie.blogspot.com/2010/02/gamma-4-ever.html

At some point I would like to revisit this game and get it right. It really needs some music to set the mood I'm going for. If you do happen to try it, please post feedback and let me know if there is any redeeming value at all.

If the game is overly vague, I'm not trying to be pretentious, promise!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:17:25 AM by tyronehenrie » Logged

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

I've gotta say i really like the style of everything in the game. While austere, the subtle animations and shift in perspective really make it something special.

As for the gameplay, I think there were more than a few stumbling blocks as to the objective of the game. It wasn't until the second play-through that I got the controls down enough to be able to make decisions as far as what I would get. But even so, those decisions didn't seem to have any sort of consequences where I could see what they meant. I dunno, it felt like you were trying to convey an emotion/message but I just didn't get it. I think it's also pretty tough to make out what's going on when you first jump in. The right side of the screen feels less like a mini-map and more like something completely different, and not in a good way. It confused things that were already being confused by the Cube Testers, clocks, money and hearts. I still don't really know what they do, just that perhaps they are tabulated at the end?

I'd be very interested in what your aim with this game was and I could probably lend some more useful feedback.

BTW, I really love the ending stage/sequence, i think it's just brilliant and that's when the game really wowed me. it's also why i played twice. i got the jetpack the second time and that was also intriguing... but i'm not sure even if something was different next time i'd really know why or what i did to achieve it.

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. I really needed someone to confirm some of the issues that I think I need to remedy and you hit on pretty much everything.

Yeah, the right side of the screen was meant to be more useful. I originally had three views that would come and go based on how you were doing. I'm glad that is gone...

The right view currently is meant to be the long-view on life, giving you a heads up on what is coming in the future and keeping an eye on your goal. In the end I didn't have the time to get it to come across, and it's completely useless. I wanted to give more immediate feedback so the player knew exactly if what they were doing was leading them toward their goal, or farther from it. I even wanted it to ultimately change the goal based on what is going on.

The 5 minute limit was hard to handle. When I revisit the game to "get it right" I think I need to spend more time in the beginning to teach more about what is going on before sending you on your merry way in the darkness.

I want to add more level variety and make the player's "choices" more clear and more voluntary.

I'm glad the ending seems to comes off right. I wanted it to capture that thrill when you're getting close to achieving your goal.

All your points are duly noted and much appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:37:22 PM by tyronehenrie » Logged

Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »

there are some moment in here that are really great. the last "act" for example, really floored me. there is really a lot to like in this one, the art is really clean and expressive and the overall feel was good. it really does take playing through it once for me to really have informed decisions. I hope you do add sound to this one, I have a feeling ti would really bump it up a notch.

congrats on finishing :D
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »

Well, I liked this.  It did take a few play throughs, I kept getting stuck and I wasn't aware I could wall jump out of the holes until my 5th time.

Not quite sure what my goals were, and how to give money or love? Was pretty confused the whole experience, but it didn't really hurt the enjoyment. I know I'll like it more if you choose to expand it (especially with the 2nd view)

I hope you do choose to expand on it, because it's pretty interesting enough as is.
Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »

I must admit I utterly failed to grasp what was going on, but I really love the presentation and simple aesthetic you have going. The controls are simple but well-executed and the physics feel good (with the exception of how much the box can hang off a ledge without falling - I wasn't really expecting that given how 'right' the jump physics feel). Hopefully I can start to figure this out with some extra playthroughs Smiley

tyronehenrie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 05:40:32 AM »

Thanks for all the great feedback people!

So the walls were too sticky?

I was wondering if controls were intuitive. Everyone that I tested the game on wouldn't hold the button down to move. They started to hop through the levels pressing the button repeatedly instead of holding it down. Also, I need to teach that you can wall jump from the get-go...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic