Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:47:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)Miridian [released]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Miridian [released]  (Read 2975 times)
d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »

A short game made in about 1.5 weeks about climbing a big mountain.
It was a fun experience to complete a game with some friends. So, awesome on that front.
I think everyone should give this game a shot just to see the pretty pictures our artist drew.
They are very good.

Description: You are the most UNPARALLELED CLIMBER to ever attempt scaling THE MERIDIAN, a recently discovered peak THREE TIMES HIGHER than Everest. Gather your ice axes and stamina against this pinnacle of ineffable ordeal's glacier and rock walls, as the already thin air BLEEDS your determination and LAUGHS at your refusal to FAIL. Will you be driven to the EDGE of madness by your exertion, like so many others? Or will you stand against the dark skies, HIGHER than the all the world's zeniths?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:12:08 PM by d3sphil » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »

You are right about the graphics, they are great. Even better in-game and fullscreen.

Couldn't beat it though, I got up to 350 I think? Before I ran out of stamina. Will try to go through again. Very fun though.

Some of these 'rejected' games are outstanding, I wonder how good the final games will be?
jacksnappert
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »

As an addendum, here is the "game description" we put in for it:

You are the most UNPARALLELED CLIMBER to ever attempt scaling THE MERIDIAN, a recently discovered peak THREE TIMES HIGHER than Everest. Gather your ice axes and stamina against this pinnacle of ineffable ordeal's glacier and rock walls, as the already thin air BLEEDS your determination and LAUGHS at your refusal to FAIL. Will you be driven to the EDGE of madness by your exertion, like so many others? Or will you stand against the dark skies, HIGHER than the all the world's zeniths?

We used to have a line in there about spitting on those who mocked your ambition but that might've been overkill. Smiley

Kaelan
Level 1

Malcontent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »

I really love the visual presentation, and the controls feel really natural, with the exception of that second button press after you swing up - I never figured out why that was there. It feels like the difficulty ramps up a tad too fast, but it's definitely satisfying to play. It wasn't obvious to me why I had to mash A - I'm guessing it was a gust of wind or something? I think you could sell that a lot better with some slight tweaks to the effect.

d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »

@Kaelan The mash A was supposed to be like a snow storm, and you had to get out of it, but yeah, not really explained.
Also, the second swing was supposed to be for when you hit "rock", it was harder to climb.

Thanks for the comments. I pretty much agree on all those points. If we had started earlier and had more time to tweak it a bit more, I think it could have been a bit better. Oh well, you learn something everyday =).

Oh yeah, and the "mb" is supposed to be "millibars" (measure of pressure).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic