Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:36:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTop 6 reasons to support indie RPGs
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Author Topic: Top 6 reasons to support indie RPGs  (Read 35922 times)
jwk5
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »

yeah, battle for wesnoth was a good indie rpg dealing with orcs and elves
Game play wise it was good, story wise it clings too heavily to D&D setting conventions. That wouldn't be bad, mind you, if it weren't for the fact its been done to death.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »

yeah, the story was pretty bad, i skipped most of it. generally what i find is that indie rpgs either have good stories or good gameplay, and seldom both. there are only a few i've played that did both very well (and they're almost all ohrrpgce games).

jwk5
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »

yeah, the story was pretty bad, i skipped most of it. generally what i find is that indie rpgs either have good stories or good gameplay, and seldom both. there are only a few i've played that did both very well (and they're almost all ohrrpgce games).
I thought the RM2K game "A Blurred Line" struck a pretty good balance between the two. I also liked Project: Hairy RPG which I think is not only underrated (and unfinished apparently). What we should do is just each name a short list of indie RPGs that are good, I bet between the lot of us we can come up with a pretty decent sized list altogether.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »

A Blurred Line had pretty terrible gameplay, IMHO. Anyway, if you have something you know is good, why not write a review for IndieRPGs.com? I can only germinate the seeds of indie RPG-dom so quickly on my own. Smiley

I like the art style, but the animation is a bit stiff. More importantly, the gameplay looks like it's on the level of Sinjid. Which is to say, linear Final Fantasy-style battles using a single controllable character. Not exactly captivating stuff. Still, I'd be interested to give it a try when it's released: it oftentimes doesn't pay to judge games based on appearances.

jwk5
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2010, 10:13:08 PM »

A Blurred Line had pretty terrible gameplay, IMHO. Anyway, if you have something you know is good, why not write a review for IndieRPGs.com? I can only germinate the seeds of indie RPG-dom so quickly on my own. Smiley
It has actually gone through quite a few revisions, I think 2.1 was the last, and is much improved over the original. Anyways, I just might do that. I'll PM you when I get the time and we can go from there.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:43 AM »

Cool--I look forward to it. Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »

As promised, a banner! Opine away, please!

I have a higher res version (x2) too if it's appropriate...
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2010, 03:39:04 PM »

One thing we could do is "clip" it left and right, and then I could give you a repeating background graphic of the grass that could then stretch (ala gradients) across the top of the image, with this thing in the middle. That might look good.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2010, 07:01:19 AM »

Hey PsySal! I like the style of it, but I'm not sure I "get it" from a thematic perspective. Is that supposed to be reminiscent of a quasi-overhead view of some stone ruins in the grass? Kinda like the perspective in Faery Tale Adventure?

That could be cool. If you added in an adventurer or two in the upper-right of the logo, it might be easier to tell that that's what you're going for (assuming, of course, that that is what you're going for).

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2010, 07:43:29 AM »

Yep, that was the idea. Basically an isometric rendering of some stone ruins in a field. We could definitely add some little adventurers or other rpg-ey items like treasure chests (I started to add some gems but ran out of time) into the empty space...)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2010, 08:15:33 AM »

Kinda like Play This Thing's logo?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »

Now that I look at it, kinda, but not really. And better!
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »

That's the spirit! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic