Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:45:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSong for King Simon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Song for King Simon  (Read 2109 times)
Duckbill
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:07:40 PM »

I'm starting development of a game as a student project. I'll be developing the game throughout the semester, while my friend Rachel does the art. Meanwhile, I'll be posting periodical (probably weekly) updates on here, as a means both to document my progress and to give a bit more motivation. This is pretty much my first non-text game, and a foolishly large project to start with, but I just couldn't get the idea out of my head. I'm writing the game in C++ with SDL, and as such will probably use this forum mostly to rant about technical issues I encounter (it's been nearly a year since I've worked with C++), or to brag about finally overcoming them. Which means this may or may not be an interesting read. Just a disclaimer.

The game itself will just be your average everyday rhythm/platform adventure game with crazy yupo art. Here are a couple of initial screenshots:

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

holy shit  Kiss

SophieH
Level 0

(\^3^)/ Q(>.<Q)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:16:22 PM »

I want to drool, but I'm afraid I might smudge the prettiness the wrong way.

can't wait to see more :D

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »

though, on second glance, please tell me that font is placeholder...

Duckbill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »

That font is very much a placeholder. I'll be changing it to something more appropriate as soon as I figure out what something more appropriate will be. It's not currently on my priority list, though. Thanks for the initial comments! Rachel will be pleased.
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »

First, introduce yourself here knave!

Second, I think I might be in love you.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:18 PM »

I'm compelled to approve.

hi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:45:01 PM »

Look like graphical awesomeness collapse on myself from mount everest  Screamy
 Hand Shake Left I had dreamt to do something like that Hand Shake Right

Duckbill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

I hope you realize that each tiny step of this game's creation will involve learning and relearning.

I started work on this game about a year ago with another friend of mine. Together, we coded something of a basic engine, which could read in map files and spit out a traversible level. You know, the basics. And all the code was all neat and nice and everything worked well and we were excited. But give any complex piece of writing in a foreign language a year without visitation and see how well you do changing the fundamental aspects of its grammar. The biggest challenge so far, other than coming to terms with how difficult this whole project will be, has been refamiliarising myself with the old code and making the appropriate changes.

This week's project was simply to change the game from a screen-to-screen to a scrolling game, so that the art would flow better and be more of a focus, and to increase perceived game space (this game shall be claustrophobia-friendly). We will also be messing around with window size some time in the future, but that's another story. The point of this one is that I spent hours beating my head against how to adapt my old code -- it seemed like it should be so simple, but the "so simple" that it seemed like it should be was actually more complicated than the solution I eventually encountered. I just thought the harder method should be easier, and  it wasn't because it clearly didn't work at all, but I spent so much time trying different ways to make it work that the idea of trying an entirely different approach evaded me. This, I believe, is called tunnelvision. Fittingly, the solution I was trying for involved trying to move everything in the game around, while the solution I found involved only changing the game's frame of reference.

The "eureka moment," which occurred only after I stepped away from the damn computer for a while and drank some coffee outside, was rapturous. Something along the lines of "I hit myself with a hammer all day because it feels so good when I stop." But seriously. This was just scrolling. Baby steps, baby steps indeed. The road ahead is fraught with hammers and caffeine, but the destination is fraught with eurekas and giraffes.

Up next: pixel-perfect collision, slope running, and creating a test level that's presentable enough for mini-demos. Because seriously. Does calling this "programmer art" even do it justice?

Next time I'll just let a cat do whatever he wants in Gimp and use that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic