Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:19:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKreuzzug
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kreuzzug  (Read 2227 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »

This is a game about working with friends and killing things you don't understand.

I figure I should go ahead and make a devlog for this, I've already been working on it since the beginning of February, and some of the underlying engine code has been yanked from projects I've been working on for the last year.

I'll post more screenshots as they come along, I'm just getting to the point where the basic gameplay is complete.

Here's a very, very, very WIP demo:

http://nihilocrat.110mb.com/unity/kreuzzug.html

This will probably crash your browser if you close the window. I have no idea why, I need to get around to making a bug report for the Unity team, but I'm bummed because I have no real testcase.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:37:26 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

Crusade, huh?

Looks a bit like Frontier. Not much else to say due to lack of info.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »

I'm making a top-down action game that shares elements from shmups, space sims, and FPSes. I got the idea for the control scheme awhile back, and I wanted to try to apply it to something OTHER than a classic space trading game.

There are three kinds of player-flyable drones right now:

KRIEGER Fighter:
Speed:     [**-]
Handling:  [***]
Firepower: [*--]
Weapon: Dual vulcan cannons

JAEGER Interceptor:
Speed:     [***]
Handling:  [*--]
Firepower: [**-]
Weapon: Railgun (shots pass through enemies)

VERNICHTER Bomber:
Speed:     [*--]
Handling:  [**-]
Firepower: [***]
Weapon: Guided missiles (follows the mouse cursor, cause splash damage)

The enemy drones all share similar weapons and stats, but are significantly weaker and much easier to kill than your drones and those of your allies. I'll probably diversify the enemy types and generally keep them weaker, as they are meant more as cannon fodder (like in shmups) than opponents on equal footing.

The background I'm using is from dbb's Assemblee contributions. It's absolutely beautiful and I'm sad that I'm stretching it a little funny.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »

Are those explosions?
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:30:59 PM »

Yup. Now that you mention it, they look a whole hell of a lot better in action, and kind of weird in still form. I'll try fixing this by making a video or releasing a demo.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »

They do look weird, but rather good, especially alongside the style of the ships I think.
One of the Beatles
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:49 AM »

I like the explosions and if they look even better in motion...   Well, hello there!
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

So after fooling about with other projects for a few weeks, and never getting around to making the game even remotely playable / understandable, I decided to just force-feed the game a win condition and present it as-is.

http://nihilocrat.110mb.com/unity/kreuzzug.html

This will probably crash your browser if you close the window. I have no idea why, I need to get around to making a bug report for the Unity team, but I'm bummed because I have no real testcase.

As for gameplay, the dogfighter is kind of underpowered even though it's got a 100% invincibility shield as its special; when I play it just makes me want to turtle. I'll probably replace it with lateral thrusters that let you circle-strafe enemies.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic