Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:50:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSupercop versus Doctor X
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Supercop versus Doctor X  (Read 3719 times)
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »

~More screenshots~
Introduction
Machine gun
Some new enemies

Download newest build
Contra, metal slug, and megaman in a blender.

Rooms:
  • Title screen: based off of megaman 2 intro
  • Stage 1: Fight on the rooftops of a destroyed city.
  • Stage 2: (Horizontal shooter) Fight above the clouds. Boss is Doctor X's flying ship.
  • Stage 3: Fight inside of Doctor X's ship. Fight Doctor X. Doctor X flees, pursue him on your hoverboard and fight him in the skies.
    Game Complete: Peace returned to city. Shots of supercop with the happy civilians of the city of good.

Day by day plan:
  • Day 1: Movement and shooting engine
  • Day 2: Robot enemy
  • Day 3: Ninja enemy and background effects
  • Day 4: Plan stage 1 level design. Stage 2 (sky fight) movement and shooting engine
  • Day 5: Dialogue boxes, Hud, player death and respawn, gun power-ups
  • Day 6: Stage begin and stage clear effects. Escape menu. Flying stage enemies
  • Day 7: Choose music
    • Day 8: Flying stage enemy formations
    • Day 9: Add turret and jumping enemies. Flying stage boss
    • Day 10: Stage 1 complete
    • Day 11: Stage 2 enemy formation pattern complete
    • Day 12: Choose Stage 3 tile set. Choose stage 3 boss sprite
    • Day 13: Plan Stage 3 level design
    • Day 14: Stage 3 boss
    • Day 15: Finish stage 3
    • Day 16: Game complete screen. Enemy balancing. Lots of play testing.
    • Day 17: Put game in wild
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:48:23 PM by necromian » Logged
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:56:39 PM »

Build 7 updates: Added much smoother scrolling, victory animation (will appear if you kill all the enemies), one directional camera movement (a feature that seems to be prevalent in many gun n' runs), lots of instance deactivation for a hopefully higher framerate, and some trucks that enemies can some out of. I need some feedback on the one directional camera movement, since I don't know how to apply it to this game without allowing the player to just bypass all the enemies with the jetpack and such.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jkyzhzz5ll3
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »

Camera seemed fine to me. What do you mean?

Anyways, game is hard as tits. I tried many times to get past the first part when the enemies come out of the bus.  Angry
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:48:29 AM »

Hey, I never come by here anymore, but I popped in for something and what did I see... My ninja running around and kicking butt! The game is frikkn' impossible, but I can't tell you how cool it is to see the ninja tossing stars, spilling his guts, and disappearing is puffs of smoke. Thanks for that.

BTW, I ran it in Wine on a Ubuntu machine; seemed to work fine. The only problem was the screen didn't center.

Chow!
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »

It's nice to see someone making good use of assemblee repo.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »

got "not valid win32 application" error.

using win7
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:51:24 AM by davidp » Logged

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »

im using windows 7 and it loaded then gave me a gamemaker error and i had to abort.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »

This game is sweet, and that music is brilliant!! Who is it? WHO IS IT!?!

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »

I'm afraid I don't know what causes the windows 7 error. If it's not game maker 7 itself then it's probably supersound.dll.

This game is sweet, and that music is brilliant!! Who is it? WHO IS IT!?!
This guy -
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8829.0
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:00:19 PM »

Doctor X is the name of Action Man's arch enemy. Incase you didn't know.
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »

I think it's good it actually takes a projectile to kill you. I hate losing lives for 'touching' baddies.

It would be better, I think, if the ninja's only took a single bullet to off and I want to pop those ninja's when they're in mid-air but I can't because they move too Jesus fast.

Liked the buzzing electro blue shields of pestilence - big time - and the double jumping and rolling action. So yeah, shaping up into a Midnight Resistance meets Gunstar Heroes, beaut.

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »

It would be better, I think, if the ninja's only took a single bullet to off and I want to pop those ninja's when they're in mid-air but I can't because they move too Jesus fast.
Thanks! I decreased the ninja's health to one point and changed the robot health to three. The game is a lot more fast paced and easier now.
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:24:08 PM »

I think that's better.

Forgot to compliment the presentation. Great title page and opener, sets a great mood.

When you're running right at full pelt and then tap left, it just slows you down. I think it should turn the player around as well. I know you're going for some kind of inertia but I think for action games, like this, the control needs to be super responsive. Sure I don't mind a little bit of sliding in the original direction but when I tap in the opposite direction I want to be facing that direction when the tap's over. That's how I feel anyway...

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »

When you're running right at full pelt and then tap left, it just slows you down. I think it should turn the player around as well. I know you're going for some kind of inertia but I think for action games, like this, the control needs to be super responsive. Sure I don't mind a little bit of sliding in the original direction but when I tap in the opposite direction I want to be facing that direction when the tap's over. That's how I feel anyway...
I might implement this as well. It's not a very difficult fix, but it breaks the organic feel of the controls if the friction suddenly increases while changing direction.

Also, I uploaded build 8 and added the link to the main post. Build 8 has these changes-

-Enemies have much less health, but there are more of them.
-New screen shake effects. I personally prefer the smooth screen scrolling, so I made the effect toggle-able with the S button (By default it's off). Tell me if you prefer the game with screen shakes or none.
-You shoot the normal gun faster.
-Rather than a small test level, the new level design is now semi-final. What you see in this build will be the first half of level 1. At the end (where you get the victory screen in this build)there will be a mini-boss, and when you beat him then you'll enter a building. In this building, you fight through several floors to get to an elevator which take you to the next floor. Eventually you get to the top of the building to fight the level boss, then hop on a hoverboard to proceed to level 2.
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 02:19:33 AM »

Yeah, I don't think I explained myself very well. Keep the friction just flip his direction. So Supercop spends a couple of frames moving in the opposite direction to the way he is facing. It's just the way I feel about it...

"It doesn't really matter."
Vic Reeves

necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »

I'm interested in finishing up this game with the help of a level designer/artist. If I can simply get some new environments and new sprites to tie the game together, I can finish it so that all this assemblee repo doesn't go to waste.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic