Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:14:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBattle Kid: Fortress of Peril... *NEW* NES platformer
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril... *NEW* NES platformer  (Read 15519 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 02:28:04 AM »

I used to see NESs and SNESs and other such suches in the thrift stores when I was a kid all the time, but now that I've actually developed an interest in obtaining such relics they seem to have all vanished.

More Relevant: this game looks really cool.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »

Xion, it's because they've all been picked up. Tongue

If you peruse pawn shops in small towns (like around here), you find working old systems ALL THE TIME.  There are probably a dozen systems sitting in Goldiggers (a local store downtown.)  He's got Sega Master System + games, Atari 2600, etc. 

He claims he just finds it at local garage sales through the area.  Clearly I need to do more rummaging.

But I feel your pain.  When I was in Vancouver a year ago, you couldn't find ANYTHING AT ALL.  It's like nothing before 2000 existed. 

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »

I have an NES, but I need to buy it off my brothers, sisters and mom before I could move it over to where I'm at.  Sadly, the inter-mountain west doesn't like old game systems, so I never see any NEses, or SNESes, or REAL used game stores (GameStop doesn't count) around here. Facepalm

I mentioned this to a friend of mine once, and they were all like "Well, just go to GameStop!  They have used games! Big Laff"

But on topic, I should totally buy this game once it's available again.

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 11:35:22 AM »

No kidding, I don't have to jam an extra cartage into the slot to keep the game down, or fiddle with it for 10 minutes before I can even get the game to work properly. Sometimes I don't wanna keep my battery backed up games. Diggin a dentist pick into the inner workings of your electronic device is a lot less irritating then waiting a couple days for the mail. You crazy kids should pop the rose lenses out of you glasses, haha.

Solution: One new NES pin header off ebay, One small bottle of brasso, One small bottle of rubbing alcohol, One tri-hex opener from www.dealextreme.com (<$3)

The problem is the pin headers and the cartridges themselves on the NES actually gathered small metal rust and various bits of debris, that system is f'ing 25 years old. I was on an NES kick not too long ago, so I watched a tutorial on how to do this, and its SUPER easy.

1.) Using a regular screw driver, open up your NES and replace the PIN header
2.) Using the tri-hex, open up your NES cartridge
3.) Mix a small bowl of rubbing alcohol 50/50 with water
4.) Apply brasso directly to cartridge pins, use a rag to rub away the dirt. The pins will look 1000x shinier
5.) Dip your rag in the 50/50 water and wash/dry away the remaining brasso and the pins

I GUARANTEE this will fix your old NES, I have 100% first boot on my NES. The hardware on the NES is extremely simple, the RF unit is well protected, the 6502 chip has like 3 layers of plastic and metal before anything could hurt it. The only flaw was the PIN header, which the SNES and N64 fixed later.

The 360 is a piece of garbage when it comes to warranties/recalls. I have the Halo edition and so far no red ring, but I don't play it as much as I imagine some people here do. It also has the 45nm chip, which supposedly stays cooler.

But even the Gamecube was a beast, I mean how many people do you know with a failed Gamecube?? They even went to the trouble of writing the data backward on those tiny discs to make the laser last 10x longer.

But.... this is a 100% derail. Thanks Derek for front paging this! From a technical stand point, the reason why this game is only a single screen and rather simple is because platforming is hard to do on the 6502. You have to dynamically update your tiles, use the scrolling registers, AND manage to stay within the vblank limit. If you play the old Megamans on NES, you'll notice they ONLY scrolled horizontally, and did a zelda style transition when they went vertical.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 02:52:22 PM »

I actually heard that that's also the reason Metroid only had sections that scrolled to one axis. Was there ANY NES platformer that scrolled both ways at once?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »

Of course there were. Super Mario Bros. 3!

EDIT: Blaster Master! Super C!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:00:44 PM by John Nesky » Logged
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »

Yeah the later games did it like Wizards & Warriors and Little Nemo. But you'll notice most of those games don't have constant health bars on the top.

From a tech standpoint, the cartridges often had to be extended using the MMC1 (memory controller) to mirror the screen and do fancy name table stuff to get scrolling to look proper. Wizards & Warriors also used a custom "AORom" mapper.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »

My cart arrived today! Got it working without too much fuss on my ancient NES. The game seems great so far - I got a little bit past the first boss (out of 6, apparently) and then ran out of continues. It's just punishing enough to be fun without being frustrating, assuming you dig really hard games.

I didn't get a password for some reason, so I'm not sure how to continue... Guess I ought to actually read the manual. Probably have to press a button at a continue point or something to show it.

Sivak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »

Hey all.  Sorry for bringing back this month old topic, but I just wanted to say thanks to those who were interested in the project.  It was fun to do it.

I'm currently doing something with a more modern programming language.  Who would've thought!?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic