Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:39:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)SmartFox Server (engine behind Club Penguin)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SmartFox Server (engine behind Club Penguin)  (Read 2192 times)
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

http://www.smartfoxserver.com/

destiny is truth pre-op
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:24 AM »

Erm... how is this not just a blatant advertisement?

I assume you've used this thing. Any chance of a bit of detail? After all, it's been around as a commercial product for ages and has plenty of competitors.

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:16:38 AM »

I have used this for UFHO and I'm going to use it again. It's a great piece of software, plus there's a free licence for the professional version, but only up to 20 people playing together. Which is a lot: try gathering 20 people online playing your game at the same time, and then maybe you'll have to money to pay for a 100 users licence!!

The only thing is: you need a dedicated server (which costs a lot) because it needs the installation... is there any other software like this that you can put on the average domain, and it still works?

Also, Smartfox server has APIs for A LOT of platforms... iPhone, Flash, XNA, Ajax, Unity... ...

Also, they're italianBig Laff

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:33:23 PM »

Should have put some more info in my first post.
I just re-found out about this - I haven't used it nor do I work for them etc, just wanted to share a cool link.

destiny is truth pre-op
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »

I've been researching socket programming on the flash platform and in addition to SmartFox I've stumbled upon this:

http://www.unionplatform.com/

It looks impressively simple but I would definitely like to get some benchmarks between the two to see their memory/cpu loads on a server and how they scale.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:55:26 AM »

That looks cool. Unfortunately I can't seem to type anything in their example chat program WTF. Much lighterweight than SF

destiny is truth pre-op
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »

I only know that Smartfox is solid and reliable. Also, it has very flexible and powerful APIs. It's good for small-to-average-to-big projects, as Club Penguin demonstrated.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic