Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:57:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOpac's Journey
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Opac's Journey  (Read 2190 times)
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

Hi all,

Opac's Journey is what I am calling an exploratory acrobatic platformer.   The goal of the game is to guide Opac from the "origin" (underground) to the surface by blasting, gliding, climbing, and speeding through the semi-linear levels.  

The focus is on tight controls that allow for some fancy platforming manuevers.   Second to that there are some story driven elements that encourage exploration, and 6 special "relics" to find that boost your acrobatic arsenal.

(more info here www.ophidianwars.blogspot.com)

Some screenshots are below.   We're about 85% done and the game will cost $1.

Box Art

Finding Quan Core

Gliding Towards a Secret Door

Hidden Area with Goodies
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:59:34 PM by Cevo70 » Logged

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »

Purdy character sprite. I find your tiles strange though, repetitive bricks all through...
Also, I don't know how the XBLIG economy works, but $1 is cheap as hay, man. On the PC atleast it'd be much wiser to price it at $5... Is that like suicidal on there?

Anyways, keep us updated Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »

Seconding everything that Inane said.

Loving the vibe though!

hi
skado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »

Purdy character sprite. I find your tiles strange though, repetitive bricks all through...
Also, I don't know how the XBLIG economy works, but $1 is cheap as hay, man. On the PC atleast it'd be much wiser to price it at $5... Is that like suicidal on there?

Anyways, keep us updated Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Lot of people on XBL downrate just from price sadly Sad

There's only been a handful of games that sold decently at a higher price point than a dollar. $5 is currently the highest price point you can sell at.
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:52:34 AM »

Thanks guys!   

Skado is right - the success curve leans heavily towards the $1 market on XBL.  It's not ideal, but it makes sense:

1. People often use their scraps on the indie games, so it's likely that most people might have an awkward 80MP sitting around and would prefer a game over a new hat for their avatar.  Shocked
2. People browsing that section seem to be looking for a spontaneous burst of fun - something they can have really cheap and play through in 1-2 sittings.

It's our first game, so making a killing isn't atop the goal list.  It not guaranteed suicide per say (a couple $1 games have made 6 figures, lots more $10k+), but it's a steep hill to climb.

One of the remaining things we have to do is apply a background filter that breaks up some of that blockish feel that you mentioned Inane.   But in many ways that blockish feel was intentional based on the level editor we're employing, the desire for precision platforming, and because I like it.  Wink

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:15:12 AM »

I think that having a grid based level is fine, but you should change your level and background sprites as has been said.  The character looks somewhat out of place in the levels because of the grid-like nature of the level.  Other than that, it looks good.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »

You could at least blend them together, and make the background different.
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »

Appreciate the feedback. 

So we went ahead and added some effect around the edges of the levels to help break up the grid feel and add some atmosphere.  We also have an overlay (not pictured) that sits over the background tiles that seems to help, but we're still toying with it.  We actually want to keep the block-like feel in the foreground so we're just trying to use to soften up the background.

Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:17 PM »

Wanted to thank everyone for the feedback, and let you all know that we're all wrapped up.  Many of the suggested changes/upgrades were made.

We just have get through peer review now.  Wink

Trailer:

Screenshots:  http://ophidianwars.blogspot.com/2010/06/official-screenshots-opacs-journey.html

Should be for sale in late June: $1.00

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic