Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:54:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Homebrew Creators Club : Meeting Two Topic Vote
Poll
Question: Which system should meeting two cover?
Nintendo DS - 15 (88.2%)
Nintendo Wii - 2 (11.8%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Homebrew Creators Club : Meeting Two Topic Vote  (Read 1380 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »

Alright, Meeting Two is coming up for the Homebrew Creator's Club. I'm not sure if Meeting One was a success or not for striking interest in the hearts of devs. But I think one of the major hurdles is the complexity of learning Assembly AND learning an entire hardware package. So if we stick to the Nintendo DS or the Nintendo Wii, hopefully it will be easier to grasp wtf is going on, cause I know its confusing. So I'm leaving it up to everyone else to decide what meeting two will cover, these are both systems I have a lot of experience with, so I should have a lot more guidance on how to create things. Also both systems are MUCH easier to create software on, as they both have full software suites thanks to Dovoto and Wintermute.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »

I love homebrew, I've made some stuff (notably on megadrive with the basic - which is not very far from machine code actually), but I'm not too hot on the "meeting" concept of everybody doing the same thing at the same time.(especially because I'm not a big fan of nintendo handheld machines)
That said I don't want to prevent people from doing that if they like it.
When I have the time, I'll post some stuff I have done and some of my future projects, I have amassed quite a bit of documentation on some powerful arcade boards of the 90s (but that will probably be hell to code for...)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:41:12 PM »

I voted for the Nintendo DS simply because I don't know if I would be able to develop games for the Wii without actually owning one...  Come to think of it though, I could run into the same problem with the DS.  Huh?

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »

I love homebrew, I've made some stuff (notably on megadrive with the basic - which is not very far from machine code actually), but I'm not too hot on the "meeting" concept of everybody doing the same thing at the same time.(especially because I'm not a big fan of nintendo handheld machines)
That said I don't want to prevent people from doing that if they like it.
When I have the time, I'll post some stuff I have done and some of my future projects, I have amassed quite a bit of documentation on some powerful arcade boards of the 90s (but that will probably be hell to code for...)

Yeah the "free for all" was tried already, I think I linked it in my preliminary post. But the thread remained inactive for 2 years, so I thought I'd try to spark peoples interest again. I'd LOVE if people just did homebrew of any type, but I thought maybe making it a bit more structured would help people who were just not sure how to get into homebrew ya know Smiley

I voted for the Nintendo DS simply because I don't know if I would be able to develop games for the Wii without actually owning one...  Come to think of it though, I could run into the same problem with the DS.  Huh?

Yeah, the Dolphin Wii emu is supposed to be getting some homebrew fixes by Bushing, but we'll see if that happens. Thats the one thing that makes more modern systems harder to dev on, because its so much easier and sometimes necessary to run on the real thing. For the DS you can just use no$gba or a few others, and a lot of DS emulators come with VRAM viewers and mode viewers and everything. Plus the DS is just simply easier to develop on than older systems. The 66mhz Arm9 can handle C++ just fine, and the built in 3D calls work almost identical to OpenGL. Plus DSWifi by SGStair works great, so we can even do some wifi awesomeness.

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »

I'd say I enjoyed playing about with the gameboy, it's a fascinating system, although it was a little hard to get to grips with such a small, old-school system (and also I can't say I enjoyed working with the tile and map apps all that much...). But then accidents happened involving my ubuntu partition and probably a little too much creativity and my gameboy development stuff kind of went missing in action.

I voted for the DS because it's just generally such an interesting and relevant device. It has a host of modern features such as WiFi, 3D acceleration and whatnot. It's also an extremely prolific device, which makes it an interesting platform to develop on. Also that it has a sort of unusual hardware setup with two ARM cores of significantly different performance means that there's probably a lot of depth in terms of getting the most out of the system, I've actually been meaning to learn to program for it for quite a while now so this gives me an excellent excuse. Also I'm extraordinarily biased because I love my DS lite to pieces and would fill buckets if I saw my own code running on it.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »

So looks like the DS is winning 12/2. I'll close this on Sunday, but it looks like DS will come next.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »

I'm not sure if Meeting One was a success or not for striking interest in the hearts of devs.

I am completely interested. I just have barely any time as it is to code for school let alone homebrew projects. However, if I can hammer out some work this weekend I'll hopefully be able to work in some time for fun (all work and no play make...something something). I am really, really interested in homebrewing for the DS, in fact right before I read this I was thinking about doing DS HB in the future. I'll be kicking myself for a long time if I can get in on this. I've been wanting to learn how to do homebrew on the DS for awhile now.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic