Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:33:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Adventures of Cendah - Action RPG
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Adventures of Cendah - Action RPG  (Read 6375 times)
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:01:57 PM »

Hello! (update 1.01 released 7/3 -08)

I'm back again, and this time I got a little better game then last time. I got really good feedback from here (The Demon Within), and considering all teh changes I had to make I decided to make a new game instead, this one with most (not all cuse something I didn't wanna change) feedback. I would still like to get more feedback (if possible) and jsut wanna say that this one, I'm really proud of Smiley

The Adventures of Cendah

http://www.kingdiz.se/pretaoc.zip - To download the game

http://www.kingdiz.se/cendah.htm - If you want more information

Thanks you guys!!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:33:07 PM by kingdiz » Logged
Alex
Level 0

Probably procrastinating right now!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »

It's very well put together and the graphics/music are great but the dialog is really off putting for me. It just seems odd that a half-demon/half-man warrior from a medieval-like time would say something like "I've got to get me another zeppelin". I'd work on the language a bit if I was you.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:20:29 AM »

How would you rework that dialog Alex?

Alex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »

For that particular bit? I'd at least make it grammatically correct: "I've got to get myself another zeppelin". But I'd probably write it as "I must find new means to travel home and tell my people about this discovery" or something like that.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:13:54 PM »

Some "Ye Olde English" maybe?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »

I'd at least make it grammatically correct

Half Demons are known to use propper grammar in all situations. I know all the half demons I've talked to speak perfect english.

Alex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:48:05 AM »

You mean all the half demons you've spoken to?

If it was a design decision to use language like that then it's none of my business, but it looks to me like it's just a matter of poor dialog. Sorry if I'm pedantic but in a role playing game dialog is one of the most important parts...
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:15:47 AM »

Actually I'd disagree that it was just a matter of poor dialog.. from that particular line, it actually sounds like it's trying to be tounge-in-cheek. It's still possible it's a poor design choice.. but if the whole game is tounge-in-cheek/pokes fun at itself than it may well suit the game.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 06:00:42 AM »

"I've got to get myself another zeppelin".

How would you rework that dialog?

"I need a fucking baloon!!!"  Cool

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:24:35 AM »

The complete, utter top-down perspective makes everything look weird to me. You're just staring at the tops of people's heads, you'll never see the eyes or faces of anything.

I don't see what the big deal is about that line of dialogue. Dialogue is often ungrammatical, because you're writing how someone is speaking. It sounds stilted to have all the dialogue in a story completely grammatically correct, I can't think of any good novel that has all its dialogue grammatical and free of slang.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »

Half Demons are known to use propper grammar in all situations. I know all the half demons I've talked to speak perfect english.

Hmm, all the half-demons I know speak in rhyme:

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Alex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »

Obviously it's just me with the problem, so don't worry about it Tongue Maybe I just read too many fantasy novels =/
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 08:57:49 AM »

Wow! Haha okey, very interesting Smiley like TeeGee suggestion! Tongue
Thanks everyone for putting so much effort into this. Any OTHER comment on the game rather then the first dialogue? Wink
Zaphos
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »

I think this is a pretty nice improvement over The Demon Within, kingdiz -- great job! Smiley

this one with most (not all cuse something I didn't wanna change) feedback.
Just wanted to say this is absolutely the right attitude to have, especially if it's feedback from me -- I tend to make large lists of feedback which are really just thoughts off the top of my head, so definitely some of them will be wrong or just not fit with what you want.  So yeah, no shame in ignoring stuff.  I think feedback is to help you think about your game and understand how people see it -- not to literally tell you how to change your game!

Anyway, here's a big disorganized list of thoughts:
 * I definitely appreciate the in-game tutorial stuff, but I think it could be spread out better; it might be good to not introduce some of the stuff (like magic) until slightly later in the game, just to avoid slamming the player with quite so much explanatory text right at the start.
 * There seems to be some frame rate issues near the first vendor (and possibly any vendors?), especially if I war stomp while I can see their text.
 * I hadn't found any gold when I reached the vendor so it was kind of odd to be told to buy stuff from him.  Also, there's no feedback when you try to buy something you can't afford; it would be nice if it changed the text from "Press Enter to buy" to "you can't afford this!" or something, and maybe made a little "invalid action" noise when you tried to buy it.
 * The sign right before the first town sort of blends in to the background, so I didn't notice it until I noticed the text popping up due to being near it.  It might be nice to give it a bit more detail / contrast to pull it out from the background more strongly.  (Not sure about this one)
 * The bushes that attack you could pretend to be normal bushes a little longer before approaching you; that would give them a greater element of surprise, I think?  So far I just notice them because they're moving so the disguise element doesn't come in to play.
 * The accept quest method right now is "Press enter to accept the quest," but you have to accept the quest before you know what it is, this way.  I think it would feel more satisfying and immersive if I could hear the quest, and then decide whether to accept or reject.
 * The plot for the pitchfork quest had me laughing just because ... this guy is worried about his friend he left behind in this cave of monsters (very serious!) and also about leaving behind his pitchfork ... the contrast is just silly.
 * Some animation on the townsfolk could be sweet.  Like instead of just leaving them waiting, fully static, if they would breath a bit or do move just a little they might feel more alive.
 * The animation when the character finds gold is still kinda weird, with the little bits of gold falling to the screen.  I'm not sure if I should try to catch the pieces or what...
 * I see you continue the long-standing Zelda tradition of making grass/hedge-clipping a primary source of income Wink
 * I did read that I can't save during a quest, but I think some people will skim the instruction screens (especially after seeing so many of them) and will miss that detail.  In that context, it might be good to repeat that fact when the player is deciding to accept a quest.
 * Relatedly, when you're on a quest and try to go save, the save button/spot doesn't seem to react at all.  It'd be nice if it gave some negative feedback (like a beep sound and/or some text) to explain that you can't save since you're on a quest.
 * If you saved the game (or at least offered to do so) when the player accepted a quest, that could help avoid issues where someone forgets to save before accepting a quest.
 * I do love the dithered shadows in the cave; nice old-school sexy graphics trick Kiss
 * Combat with bats feels pretty good!  A few times it has felt like they pass through me, though.
 * those red-eyed cave people (what are they?) are pretty hard to see!  I imagine this is intentional but they do keep surprising me.
* Bats seem to flap in place before they see you and start moving towards you, which is a bit funny.  Would sort of expect them to be still while waiting for you.
* The images for the options you give on level up are confusing.  I assume they're strength upgrade or magic upgrade, by the conventions of the genre, but it'd be good to say that somewhere.  Also, the fist icon (?) for strength is especially hard to make out.  Perhaps adding more detail to the hand would help clarify it?
 * The music loop seems a bit clumsy; I think I hear the point where the music stops before repeating sometimes?
 * The main character's reaction to finding Eric dead in a cave is so apathetic that I feel the character might be a psychopath.  He's just like, "eh, oh well, let's go find that pitchfork!"?
 * War Stomp seems underpowered, especially since I think it doesn't affect bats and it only does a third of the damage to those high-health cave people.
 * I'd be really nice to have some visual or audio warning when the player is at low health, since it seems easy to forget to check the health meter and die unexpectedly without something like that.
 * The collision detection seems a bit off sometimes; I can't make it through the the area below in this screenshot, for example, even though it looks like I could fit ...

Okay, that's all for now.  Hope it helps!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:31:53 PM by Zaphos » Logged
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 03:24:59 AM »

Wow! That is a great list of feedback. I think that you have thought of everything here, haha Smiley You have given me a huge idea for the version 1.01 update, and if you do not mind I would like to add you to the credits, just tell if you want it and teh name you want to be there. This is awesome!! Smiley

* The main character's reaction to finding Eric dead in a cave is so apathetic that I feel the character might be a psychopath.  He's just like, "eh, oh well, let's go find that pitchfork!"?

Haha, if you play the game to the end you'll see that he doesn't really care about anyone at all. He just want to go home Smiley
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »

*Nods at Zaphos*
Nice feedback indeed. Looks like you got something to keep you busy for a couple of days kingdiz! Smiley

Zaphos
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »

Wow! That is a great list of feedback. I think that you have thought of everything here, haha Smiley You have given me a huge idea for the version 1.01 update, and if you do not mind I would like to add you to the credits, just tell if you want it and teh name you want to be there. This is awesome!! Smiley
Aw shucks, you're too kind.  I certainly don't mind! Smiley
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 08:53:50 PM »

Zaphos mentioned most of the things I planned to, so I'll make this a quick post.

One thing that bothered me was the diagonal movement. If you just press right, you'll move at x speed to the east, and if you just press up, you'll move at x speed to the north. However, if you press both right and up at the same time, you move at x speed to the east and x speed to the north, or approximately 1.4*x speed to the north east. In other words, you move about 50% faster if you move diagonally, which I find kind of odd.

My only major concern with the game is repetitiveness. I worry that the entire game will be something like "wait for enemy to approach, swing sword, wait for enemy to approach, swing sword, wait for enemy to approach, etc...". It would be nice for the combat to have more depth and variety, since that's the core of the game.

kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 06:01:22 AM »

Thanks!
I'll take a look and see what I can do about the movement Smiley

My only major concern with the game is repetitiveness. I worry that the entire game will be something like "wait for enemy to approach, swing sword, wait for enemy to approach, swing sword, wait for enemy to approach, etc...". It would be nice for the combat to have more depth and variety, since that's the core of the game.

This is very interesting. I think that was the main problem I had with the Demon Within, just wait for the enemy to come and just it them. I've changed that in this game. How? Well the first mission (the one in the cave) is just like the demon within was, "wing sword, wait for enemy to approach". In other missions I've added archers which forces the player to move around and use the War Stomp ability alot. For example, the third mission you encounter enemies that not only make much damage but they also shoot at you so you can't just wait for them you have to time your hits. Later on in the game you will meet enemies that you can't even use your sword on or they will take little damage from the sword. All this just so the player will get wormed up, alot of preevius feedback was that I gave the player to much abilities in the beginning, now you learn them after a while and then new enemies comes as well.   

Guert, yep I got a pretty huge list now hehe Smiley
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:03:16 AM by kingdiz » Logged
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 12:41:29 AM »

I had problems, I experienced terrible slowdown and the music skipped, Ill try again later.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic