Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:12:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Question about bizarre new resolutions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Question about bizarre new resolutions  (Read 1094 times)
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:30:15 AM »

Hi,

I want to make a program exclusively for a little beamer with the strange 858x600 Pixel native resolution .
Are some videocards better suited for this non-standard resolution?
Or can you force any old card into such resolution ?

it's the first time ive heard about this resolution, it seems to be native especially for pico-projectors, but how to send data to it that will fit that resolution nicely...
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »

I'm not really an expert on video hardware stuff, so take this with a grain of salt...

To my knowledge a video card should be able to output to most any resolution you want (I know cards will have a limit to the highest resolution they can output, but I think it would be a pretty poor design to make a card only output to certain 'normal' resolutions). Really, the gpu is just outputting a bunch of pixels in a rectangle, so I don't see a reason for a gpu to have any limitations as far as "unusual" resolutions go.

That said, a really old OS or a weird cable/media (VGA and DVI are pretty flexible to my knowledge, but something proprietary might be screwy) could cause issues.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 04:37:53 PM »

That's adorable!

According to this, the "maximum" output is more than 856x600... http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-K10.htm

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »

I think though the 'maximum' resolution is just the highest resolution signal that it will take that it is willing to downscale to its native resolution. Ideally you'd want to design something targeted at such a device for its native resolution otherwise you lose some quality in the actual projected, downscaled image. I think with most modern video cards you can specify a target resolution for the video card through the driver, provided it doesn't detect it automatically, which it should.

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 06:03:30 PM »

cool ! thanks.

yeah, i want it as sharp as possible thats why i want to be native  Ninja
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic