Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:59:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIji OST remake: relative to the fans of the iji music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Iji OST remake: relative to the fans of the iji music  (Read 2077 times)
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »

If you didn't like it, I suppose this can't fully apply to you, but the situation does apply to other indie game soundtrack composers, such as Magnus who did the wonderful VVVVVV.

Now he sells it on his website for $4 and $10, leaving the choice up to the fan.

Dan & I were sitting talking about this, and we want to remake the IJI OST. When we first started, Iji was our first project, ever, together as a composing team. We did it as a favour for our mate Dan, Remar that is of course!

Anyway, we've came a long way in the last year and a half, or more than that I think now.. and we're a lot wiser now, and know how to record instruments and mix properly, or at least a fair bit more than we started. We've done a lot of long research and self-tutoring, and trial n error runs, to get to where we are, and we're not even near professional yet, but we're a bit ahead than we were when Iji came out.

So we want to remake the entire OST, with a real polished feeling to it. And not just for ourselves, and the nostalgia, but for those who enjoyed iji for the amazing game it was, and were kind enough to share their complimenting opinions on the effect the music had on the game. I don't think we would have continued after Iji, had it not have gotten the response it did.

We considered the $4 and $10 pricing that Magnus did, but we were wondering what the fans of the iji OST originally, would be willing to pay for the remade OST? If anything at all, if you say nothing, that's fine, it's helping us figure out whether we should do this or not. We'll be finished Uni by the time we're making it, and basically trying to clock in paid contract work on development projects when possible, as much as possible, to make a living. It is our passion, however, and I don't believe we would have it any other way.

So yes, the question being, what do you think of those prices? And/or what would you pay? And any other pieces of good advice you guys can give on this issue, since it's new to us and we're not wanting to step on any toes by appearing as if we reel in the fans with the freebies and then charge them to high hell.. we've never been like that, and as long as we both remain the same people, we will never be like that, our personalities come forth in a strong sense through our work and work relationships, plus our friendship with any fans of what we do, that helps a lot.

Ok this has been part rambling part questioning, and I know there is a "create a pricing strat" topic but I do not want to derail it with this!  Gentleman

godsavant
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »

I'd totally be willing to buy a remodeled Iji soundtrack for $10; considering the game is fantastically free, I'll support the game in any way possible.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »

I'd be very keen for a remake of the Iji OST, especially one that's compatible with the game like the HQ music pack was.

I like the $4/$10 idea. I'd pay $4 because there are songs on the OST I really enjoy (eg. Tor, secintro) but a lot of the others aren't really my kind of music... Shrug
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:27:36 AM »

I think the idea would combine the love people had for the iji music with the chance to put it in the music folder and reply iji with this whole re-polished sound. Thanks for the feedback so far guys, need more thoughts on this, hopefully souleye will chime in.

EDIT: To clarify, I am not ASKING people consider paying $10 for this, in fact, if $4 is too much for many, I'll make it $3. It will be of a stellar quality so I want to find the balance (sorry that sounds like I'm boasting, but I'm being honest in my advertising, if I say it's going to be great, it will be! Trust me!).

However, I need people to contribute rather than just read and not comment, 151 views and two (though very useful! and I thank you for them!) comments. Come on my peoples! Well, not my peoples, I don't own you! Yet hoh hoh hoh (german laugh used by alan rickman in die hard 1)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:07:11 AM by Mecha » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »

I would definitely buy this, being a huge fan of your work and of Iji, but at the moment I won't be able to afford much. But, seeing as it will be a while til it is done, I guess circumstances will change.

Thinking about it, I would pay $5 for this, no problem at all. But really, if there was an option to pay more, I would likely take it. (If I had the money of course Wink)

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:20:41 PM »

I'd consider it - Iji's music was great in context of the game, but I'm not sure I'd be that interested in listening to it without that context. OTOH, I've never really tried it, so who knows?

... but I'd be quite happy in giving you money anyway because Iji was such a fantastic game. Not much money, because I don't have any - but even I can justify $4 pretty easily.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:04:05 AM »

Thanks for your feedback, but please fully read what I am trying to express here, there are two types of people I could imagine who would buy the OST, those who love it as a soundtrack, and those who love it as a soundtrack behind Iji, you seem to fit nicely in the latter, and that's great for doing so.

I could sit and try justify why $4 is not a stretch for the quality of a remake you will get, but I will not do that (again, heh!) everybody is trying to get somebody to buy something to make a living, it's understandable and a way of life that will never change, and why should it anyway, and that is a rhetorical question in this case, since I do not want to derail my own thread. Anyway I understand that money can be considered tight especially at times like theses but I just want to be sure of a safe bracket to keep the pricing within.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic