Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:08:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventures of Life [Re-write in progress]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Adventures of Life [Re-write in progress]  (Read 10465 times)
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »

The concept reminds me something Will Wright would have written if he was making games in 60's. Smiley

EDIT: And hence had limited access to computer graphics. Just thought I should clarify.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »

P.S. Cool script for writing/displaying movies in-game. I like where this is going.
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »

Thanks! I thought the movies where pretty nifty too. I've got a few ideas on how to use it in-game, I need to make it cost and stuff.

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 08:12:45 AM »

After a lot of head scratching and thinking outside of the box, I have implemented the shop. Here's my inventory after buying a steak:

Code:
16 of March, 1957  |  9:0:0
Job: Unemployed
Money:  $10.00
Education:
Inventory:
     Steak

I'm going to do a few bug fixes then this will probably be ready for an alpha release! yay!

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »

Today I fixed some thing's up with buying stuff, including taking away money. After watching a video of STAR ZOO I have decided to add mini games to some jobs, such as maths ect. I'm not really sure where to take it but it involves a lot more programming!

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »

goddamn goiter

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »

goddamn goiter

?

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 10:19:12 AM »

Sorry for my lack of updates! DF 2010 has become the new woman in my life, fear not I will be be working on this tomorrow!

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »

I've been experimenting with combat:

Code:
Name: Chuck Norris
------------------------------
dex = 1
agi = 13
str = 33

Name: Indiana Jones
dex = 18
agi = 27
str = 42
Indiana Jones slaps and lightly bruises Indiana Jones's right foot for 14 HP
Chuck Norris kicks and bruises Chuck Norris's right eye for 19 HP
Chuck Norris : 81 HP
Indiana Jones : 86 HP
Indiana Jones misses!
Chuck Norris slaps and lightly bruises Chuck Norris's stomach for 24 HP
Chuck Norris : 57 HP
Indiana Jones : 86 HP
Indiana Jones slaps and fractures Indiana Jones's right eye for 14 HP
Chuck Norris punchs and badly bruises Chuck Norris's left eye for 20 HP
Chuck Norris : 37 HP
Indiana Jones : 72 HP
Indiana Jones bites and lightly bruises Indiana Jones's left eye for 34 HP
Chuck Norris punchs and badly bruises Chuck Norris's upper body for 2 HP
Chuck Norris : 35 HP
Indiana Jones : 38 HP
Indiana Jones slaps and fractures Indiana Jones's waist for 31 HP
Chuck Norris kicks and bruises Chuck Norris's lower body for 11 HP
Chuck Norris : 24 HP
Indiana Jones : 7 HP
Indiana Jones slaps and lightly bruises Indiana Jones's head for 14 HP
Chuck Norris punchs and fractures Chuck Norris's upper body for 2 HP
Chuck Norris : 22 HP
Indiana Jones died!

This is not implemented in the main game yet and is just a experiment but it works awesome!

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »

Nice! I dont know how you're implementing it, but it might be an idea to only allow certain attacts to damage certain parts of the body and in certain ways? eg, x slaps y's foot seems wrong, same as x slaps and fractures y's eye seems wrong.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »

Might seem better if they weren't attacking themselfs too.
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 02:00:38 AM »

Nice! I dont know how you're implementing it, but it might be an idea to only allow certain attacts to damage certain parts of the body and in certain ways? eg, x slaps y's foot seems wrong, same as x slaps and fractures y's eye seems wrong.

Yeh at the moment it's just an experiment on how it could work, I'll try to sort something out that is similiar. Each attack will be given tags on what sort of damage they will do.

Might seem better if they weren't attacking themselfs too.

Oh crap, I just saw that! I've mixed up my variables in my code.

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 03:11:58 AM »

I've had an idea of where to take this game, and I think I am going to follow through. Currently the game is set to be a game about playing real life, however after playing SS13 quite a lot recently I've decided to expand on that idea. However, it wont be a clone because my game will focus on 5-8 players on a much smaller ship working together in games of around 30mins to 3hours. However, to cater for the simulation required for this I am firstly going to have to re-write the game to be networked and incorporate space-y things. I'm going to take some of the ideas from SS13 but on the whole the game only relation will be setting.

So yeh, I'm now turning it into a multi player game about running a satellite in space with some elements from SS13 and making it much more complex.

I HATE NETWORKING ARGGGH

It's going to take way to long to get this to be multi player, I've been at it for 6 hours and have nothing. Instead it will be about yourself on a satellite trying to keep it running. Sucks really, I had some awesome ideas.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 06:37:35 AM by iPope » Logged

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 02:39:48 AM »

Triple Post, yay!

This time I actually bring good news, please ignore everything I said yesterday [mostly]. My difficulty with networking was in a console application it is hard to have real-time updates. However, after reworking the idea for this game I have found an acceptable solution.

Each player will be a computer on the Satellite, they will be assigned computer roles which give them access to more parts of the ship, say if you were a maintenance you would have access to the engine terminal, but not the doctors terminal. As said, each player is the computer and they are all connected to a central computer, or the server. They players send commands to the central computer, which then post's back the result of running the command. The player can then analyse the result and send a command again.

For example, if a computer wanted to receive info on all the rooms in the space station, they could run this command sequence:

Code:
info->station->map

and the central computer would then send back relevant information. Let's presume the player is an atmospheric technician, the player could then run:

Code:
[air_sensor_3,air_sensor_7]->read

Which would print the memory of those all the sensors from 3 to 7 to the screen.

As in real life all objects consist of their memory, and certain people can read the memory, write to memory or both. For example, someone wanting to cause a fire could do the following:

Code:
fire_alarm_1->write->POWER:0

fire_alarm_1 power has been set to 0

oven_1->write->GASFLOW:10000

WARNING! GASFLOW is above recommended operating limits. Using this equipment could cause unwanted results!

oven_1->write->IGNITE:1

Lost connection: oven_1
Lost connection: fire_alarm_1
Lost connection: air_sensor_1

Obviously, a computer is at no risk to death by lack of air ect. but they do need electricity and operators. The computers will have to keep power to the whole satellite and keep their operators alive, while their operators do not do anything if there is not enough air in the satellite they will die, and so will you.

That covers most of how the game play works, when it comes to the central computer it will be a server but will mostly operate much like a normal computer. It will have a command stack, which will hold all commands issued by the players and then process each one and return results.

I just gave my imagination its biggest abortion all year.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:23 AM »

Don't think of it as an abortion. Think of it as cutting pieces off the baby so that it may actually be born.

Doctors do that, right?

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 12:54:48 PM »

I like where this game is going. I really do. If you want any help at any time, feel free to yell out!
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 07:41:32 AM »

So you're a computer? Or are you a person on the satellite using a computer?
Either way this sounds like a lot of fun.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 01:18:28 AM »

Your the computer, but you have to keep people alive who use the computer. I'm thinking of re-writing it in C#.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 01:38:23 AM »

Why not do it in c++? that way you have much more control over the console window (clearing and buffer editing as opposed to just writing and Reading), pretty simple sockets to work with (for networking) and the option to port it very eaisily being available.
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 08:39:48 AM »

While all those are valid points, I hate c++. It is not a language that I like to work with and I am very unproductive working with it. C# seems to be the way to go for me.

I have worked out how to implement genetic engineering as well. The risk comes with you doing any genetic engineering on your operator, which you require to live. However the benefits are you can add special abilities to your operator just in case of a random event, such as a mutant invasion.

The genetic modification is by looking as what is referred to as the DNA String. It is a 10x10 array of random 8-bit hexadecimal numbers. By accessing different bits of that 10x10 array you can either do nothing or flip switches that will add abilities to your operator, either for good or bad. I really wish I would allow myself to post the abilities but that would ruin the surprise.

However, say we have the ability "Ability 1". At player creation the DNA String is created. It then will set a random block in the DNA String to be the switch for that ability. By accessing that block and flipping it you will turn on "Ability 1".

I've considered that you have a 1 in 100 chance of actually activating the ability you wish so I am currently trying to think of ways I can make it more obvious that the player is getting closer to hitting the right switch, maybe with cryptic messages or such.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:05:05 AM by iPope » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic