Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:06:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Verity Stob on Flash
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Verity Stob on Flash  (Read 1071 times)
increpare
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »

Is it ta-ta for Flash?

"When I first started googling round the blogs for gen, Flashland contained a weird mix of artistic types delightedly sharing the exciting power of the for loop that they had just discovered, and mad techies who had invented a new idiom for rebasing a class hierarchy dynamically."

Smiley
ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:21:53 AM »

Cool read, thanks for sharing. Hand Thumbs Up Left
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

That was a very long article to deliver one tiny nugget of useful information about the development of ECMAScript.

And no, of course it isn't going to kill Flash. Hands up any Flash coder who's ever actually cared that Actionscript 3 is ECMAScript. Anyone? No, didn't think so.

HTML 5 looked briefly like being a threat to Flash until different browsers adopted different video standards, at which point everyone suddenly remembered why Flash is useful: because it's a platform, not just a "standard".

increpare
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »

That was a very long article to deliver one tiny nugget of useful information about the development of ECMAScript.
Yeah there wasn't much in it.  She's not really about content as such.  V.S. is one of the very few wits of the programming world.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »

AS3 is a superset of ECMAScript.

It has static typing for performance, class definitions (w/getter setters), "this" works with closure (instead of needing the "var that=this;" ECMAScript workaround), not supporting eval. Some of these are pointed out in the article.

I really like AS3 a lot, it's perhaps one of the best programming languages I ever used.
If Flash dies, I really hope AS3 doesn't follow it.

EDIT: Actually, now that I check, it's very similar to ECMAScript 4, sorry Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:33:30 PM by nitram_cero » Logged

Working on HeliBrawl
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic