Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:06:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsPortfoliosFlash/C++ programmer looking for work =^,^=
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash/C++ programmer looking for work =^,^=  (Read 6981 times)
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:25 AM »

Dear Anyone,

I am a programmer. I can make games in Flash (AS2) and in C++ (Allegro). I am looking for artists who really want to make games, but can't because they don't know how programming works. I am mainly interested in (relatively) difficult stuff like engines, as opposed to menus and special effects.

I want to do this cause I love making games. I do actually have an artist with who I usually work, but most of the time when I'm done with the engine I have to wait for his art and then I have nothing to do and get bored and lose interest in projects and therefore hardly ever finish one. Which is also a reason why my portfolio is a little small.

So, how will this work? First you contact me and give me details about the project. Then you ask me to do a certain part (or all) of the programming you don't feel like doing yourself. Then we will discuss how much money you would like to give me for it (and I would like to receive). There are two ways in which I could work:

1. I become the (or one of the) programmer(s) of a project and I help get the game done. For that service I'll want a percentage of the total that is earned from the game.

2. I will do a (relatively) small part of a project (eg. A game's engine, a specific function, help with coding/fixing someone's code, etc) and for that I will get a fixed amount of money. Say, if something takes less then a week for me to do I'd get 50$ (or something), to give you an idea of where I stand.

If you're intimidated by the price do not at all hesitate to inquire about a more 'acceptable' offer.
Everything's negotiable! =D

I hope someone is interested in my offer. If you are you can contact me:
  • By replying on this thread
  • By emailing me at: [email protected]
  • Through telepathic communication

Cheers,

Maxim Schoemaker

PORTFOLIO:

Previous jobs:

• I recently helped Sos out, by making a Pixel Perfect Bitmap based collision detection function (wow, that's a mouth full), which (I believe) he was really happy about. ^^
    This shows I've done 'jobs' like this before!
  • I am currently working on a flash port of the awesome iPhone app Sea Rascals. Apparently my work is really appreciated there :D
    this shows I can also make game ports for flash!

Evolution Squared

My first game I finished was Evolution Squared (or E^2). In this game you start out as a little black square and through the game you evolve into an awesome 6 armed, monocle wearing, winged, glowing dude! ^^
It shows that I am capable of doing some fancy programming stuff and making critters out of squares =D
Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/SirRealism/evolution-squared
Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/481368
Own Website: http://sir-realism.com/blog/?page_id=636

Ninja Furenji

The second game I finished is actually quite a crappy game. It was supposed to be a game made in 2 weeks, but I believe it took us a bit longer (and still ended being crap). It's called Ninja Furenji and you are a ninja set on restoring your honour by killing lots of people in well known capital cities =D
This games shows I am capable of making sucky games, but still have the guts to post them ^^
Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/SirRealism/ninja-furenji
Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/513766
Own Website: http://sir-realism.com/blog/?page_id=592

The LaCoGeSSta Research

The third (and last) game I finished is one I am rather proud of. It's called the LaCoGeSSta research and it was actually featured on Bytejacker ^^. In this game you try to solve puzzle by being a creature and choosing a direction to move to so as to eat other creatures and become them until there is only one creature left (wow, that sounds confusing)
This games shows I am capable of making random levels which always work, some very cute MS Paint graphics and tons of really bad nerdy pick-up lines =^,^=
Bytejacker: http://www.bytejacker.com/episodes/066
Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/SirRealism/the-lacogessta-research
Newgrounds: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/519647
Own Website: http://sir-realism.com/blog/?page_id=702

More info about my games can be found here: http://sir-realism.com/blog/?page_id=3

If you're wondering: "Hey, could this dude make me a..." then just ask me! If you like it you can hire me as a programmer and if you don't I'll just have had something to do in the meantime.

=^,^=
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:01:27 AM by Igorness » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »

Ok, first!
I need a fast pixel perfect collision system for allegero (in C, not C++). You said free, so here you go. I would like it to use either allegro BITMAP objects or arbitrary arrays, preferrably both.
Thanks!

Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »

Geez, I haven't used allegro in years.  Is it still around and kicking?
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 02:26:31 PM »

Geez, I haven't used allegro in years.  Is it still around and kicking?
Yeah, allegro 5 is nearly there.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »

Ok, first!
I need a fast pixel perfect collision system for allegero (in C, not C++). You said free, so here you go. I would like it to use either allegro BITMAP objects or arbitrary arrays, preferrably both.
Thanks!

Sooo, like tilebased?

[1][1][1][1]
[1][0][0][1]
[1][0][0][1]
[1][1][1][1]

would give:

XXXX
X    X
X    X
XXXX

Whereby the X's would be BITMAP's?

*Edit
Emailed it! =^,^=

Contains:
  • Pixel perfect tile based collision => 0 = no wall, rest equals wall (can be changed)
  • Bitmaps assigned to numbers used in array =D
  • Jumping => higher when pressed longer
  • Some physics, there's friction and gravity =D
  • Crappy graphics ^^

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:58:20 AM by Igorness » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 05:08:11 AM »

That was fast, but not what I meant  Concerned
I need this functions:
int collide(BITMAP *bmp1,int x1,int y1,float scale1,float rotate1, BITMAP *bmp2,int x2,int y2,float scale2,float rotate2)
- checks for collision between two bmps, returns 0 or 1 (also 0 if one of the bmps is null)
- input: bitmap structs, their position, scale (1.0=original) and rotation (in radians)
- output: as i said, 0 or 1 (no -1 stuff)
- desired performance: smooth on my netbook with 256 checks per frame

Also, sorry for not being precise from the start.  Gentleman

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 05:26:47 AM »

Sooo, you mean like collision between 2 bitmaps
whereby the only connection to the bitmap is which bitmap it is

The X and the Y and Scale and Rotation are all given by you and then collision should be check for if 2 bitmaps would be at these positions.

Do you see collision as the 2 bitmaps being boxes, or do you want this not to be seen as collision? (Cause they don't Actually touch, but if they were seen as boxes, they would)

XXXXX  O    X = bitmap1
X          O    O = bitmap2
X  OOOO
X          O
XXXXX  O

Wait...
If you tell me What you want it for, like a description of the project (mail it if you don't want others to see it) so I know what I'm it making for, so I can understand better how you want it.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:45:41 AM by Igorness » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »

I'm an english teacher at school currently getting BA IT course. Thus i will probably be teaching pupils IT at school. I want to create an allegro wrapper in their native language to teach them how easy it is to make gams. Also I plan to do paid sessions of the course, so profit is an option. However modern PC GPUs lack functionality as simple as hardware pixel perfect collision detection (Commodore 64 VIC chip is still the only graphics chip that can do this, and it'sliek 30 yrs old) Without this feature the gamedev course will go too much math, and that's not my plan.

Also, well-optimised pixel-perfect collision detection systems are scarce, so i think it's a nice kick off for you Smiley

Your ASCII art shaped bitmaps do not collide. it has to be pixelperfect. you can assume no collision if distances are far, but for nearby objects, you have to go pixel-by-pixel.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »

Awesome! I believe I have an idea that should work, expect something soon =D
If there's any other programming needed for your courses I'd love to help ^^

About payment, I don't really care about lots of profit, but a little money would certainly be nice =^,^=

Cheers!

andrew-bkk
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »

Does anyone here know anything about programming with Vaadin, Hessian and Flex 3?

It's for a blackjack game.

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »

So, how will this work? First you contact me and give me details about the project. Then you ask me to do a certain part (or all) of the programming you don't feel like doing yourself. Then we will discuss how much money I will get for it. And there's a bit of a problem, cause I have NO clue how much to charge for, lets say, an engine. Therefore the first job I get will be for FREE! =D
And I can assure you that any job I get after that will no be expensive at all!

If you don't take yourself seriously, nobody will. Find about how much some jobs pay and ask something like that..

Also, the salary is strictly linked to the responsibilities.
If you work for free, well, I don't think anyone will expect you to be responsible. Personally, I don't think your strategy is good.

Best regards and good luck
-Martín

Working on HeliBrawl
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »

I suppose you're right, but I really have no clue,
Therefore I wanted the first job to be free, so I could ask later how much the person would feel like paying for what I did. And I'd see if I'd think that was fair and use it as a guidline...

But I suppose you're right in saying I present myself too unseriously...

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »

Sorry if I sounded a bit rough, it wasn't my intention.

You'll probably have more luck looking for job proposals and sending a lot of mails than waiting people to pick you as an employee.
You should assemble a resume (CV) for that, ask anyone with experience for tips.

Regards

Working on HeliBrawl
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:53 PM »

Just sent you the new collision =D

This is how the function works:

First it checks if the two bitmaps are close enough have any collision at all (by adding up their radiuses and seeing if their distance is smaller than that)
If this is so it puts them both in a buffer,
goes past every possible point a pixel of the bitmap could be
If it finds a pixel of bitmap1 it looks if on that same spot there's a pixel of bitmap2.
If there is it tells you there's a collision and stops calculating. =D

That's the most efficient and logical solution I could come up with. It's Pixel Perfect ^^

Rotation is in radians and the bitmaps rotate around their centre. Scale is like you'd expect it to be =D

Cheers!

=^,^=

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 04:20:49 PM »

WOW! Thanks Smiley
Actually I think I underestimated your skills by far, please forgive me.
It will come in handy for sure too Smiley

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »

No problem at all, I loved doing something useful =D

If you need any more help at all with your courses, I'd love to be of assistance ^^.

Cause if you want to teach them about how easy games are, you (in my opinion) should tell them about tile based games. It is the easiest way of making levels, and there are lots of opportunities for features.

Anyways, happy to have been of service!

Cheers!

CEDE
Level 2

Don't Stress, Live a Cool Life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:08 AM »

Ive been working with this guy on a project for less than 2 days and I am already very impressed with his work! Just needed to let everyone know!

portfolio | studio | latest game: shade dogs | twitterpost-it
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 07:46:29 AM »

Ive been working with this guy on a project for less than 2 days and I am already very impressed with his work! Just needed to let everyone know!

Thanks ^^

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic