Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:56:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkC++ progammer looking for something to program
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: C++ progammer looking for something to program  (Read 1942 times)
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »

Hi I'm a C++/Windows/DirectX programmer looking for something small to 'cut my teeth' on. 

I had fun with the last competition (my entry can be found here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9676.0) but found that the month was a little short, I could have probably gotten a little more done in retrospec, and that I'm a horrible level designer ; )

I'm looking for an artistically talented partner or two to work on a game.  I don't have any particular game ideas in mind, so I'm open to pretty much anything that sounds fun.  I'm up for pretty much any type of tech, 2d, 2.5d, 3d, non-polygonal rendering (voxels, raytracing, splatter/point clouds, ect...) provided you're up to doing the art for it.  I'd prefer something in the shorter time range (3 months-ISH for a working demo type time frame).

Any ideas, comments, or questions, feel free to post below, or send me a PM.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

What kind of genres are you most interested in making?

Shoot-em-up, platformer, racing, puzzle, etc?

hi
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

I tend to gravitate towards strategy (Total War series, SC/WC, FF tactics, XCom all come to mind) or puzzle games.  Probably because as a programmer its more familiar territory.  Platformers seem to require quite a high level of quality (gameplay wise) simply because there are so many good ones out there (and a large amount of content).  Shooters (1st person or otherwise), racing, action, ect... all have a tendency to live or die based on the quality of the art, regardless of the quality of the underlying gameplay.

Some of my favorite games are ones that blur the line between genres (for example, I loved Savage).

That said, I'm pretty open to whatever (except for maybe sports games, I really have no interest in them).
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:45:43 PM »

First, let me say, kudos. Offering programming services for free is very thoughtful of you. If you could take a look at my thread and tell me if you're interested, that'd be great: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=11389.0
Crimsontide
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »

I read your post, I was under the impression you were looking for a flash or XNA programmer.  Given that (correct me if I'm wrong) your intent was just a basic 2D platformer, flash is probably your best bet as it can be run on nearly anything. 

And, I'm not trying to be rude here; but your design doc suggests a large game (content wise) but with no real notion of where that content will come from.  Who's gonna do the art/animation?  Level design?  Boss/encounter design?  There's no mock-ups (to give an idea of what gameplay will be like) or concept art.  I'm sorry, but I just don't see my addition to the team being a benefit to either of us.
Solidplasma
Level 0

"I exist to create."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »

Right, I understand. I'm working with vxthebear develop the story/foundation, and I'm doing the art, but I see what you're saying. Speaking of prototypes, I was attempting to make one in game maker. Anyway, I hope you find work, and if you know anyone who'd be interested in programming once we get further in development, please let me know.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic