Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:50:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Cardinal Character Design
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cardinal Character Design  (Read 6211 times)
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »

Here's my crappy first design.

For some reason I couldn't stop drawing this character as a generic buff dude. Based on some comments I attempted to make him less generic.

Here's a great doodle by Wander. It really got me out of the design slump.

This pass was better, definitely more personality, but I began noticing flaws in the anatomy and proportions.

After a few months of not thinking about the character I had a sudden burst of inspiration. Here's my final design (for now)

Here's the original thread if anyone is interested. http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5788.0
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »

I don't know, man.  I see that he's supposed to be a half-human half-alien, but all I see is a human in a Zora suit.
 Shrug

hi
CosmicMaher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

Looks neat, why does he look like that? Also still looks pretty generic buff dude, at least to me.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 05:40:06 PM »

We know nothing about this character really and the design does not convay much... The design is good but not very telling

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »

He looks like a nicer guy now.
godsavant
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:48 AM »

Nice changes; the initial design reminded em of Seth from SF4, which is always infuriating.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

We know nothing about this character really and the design does not convay much... The design is good but not very telling

I was trying to convey some bird features with the tapered head, swooping wing type things on his forearm, talon on the back of the heel, and the feather tattoo on his chest. I know some people are wondering why he has a gem in his chest. It does have a purpose, its a hammerspace storage device. Basically it teleports objects into a pocket dimension. Its pretty convenient for someone without pants.

Also the smirk on his face was meant to indicate that he's not too serious and a bit of a smartass.

Nice changes; the initial design reminded em of Seth from SF4, which is always infuriating.
YEP!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:41:04 PM by Joseph » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »

In hammerspace, no one can touch this.

hi
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »

If your going for a more bird-like look you should try making the fins look more feathery.

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »

If your going for a more bird-like look you should try making the fins look more feathery.

Well I've decided not to make him literally birdlike, instead I'm going for a more stylistic approach vaguely reminiscent of 60's superhero cartoons.

Here's a sketch for his "OH SHIT I'M SURROUNDED!" attack.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »

Oh if you're going for 60's superhero style then you hit the nail on the head. Grin

hi
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 03:41:25 PM »

Pretty much. I'm not one for the style, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this character in an old comic.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »

i would love his design much more if he had black undies. like i'm not even talking ironically here, it would balance out the design a lot more. some sonicish spikes on his back would probably look cool too

Lo
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

i would love his design much more if he had black undies. like i'm not even talking ironically here, it would balance out the design a lot more. some sonicish spikes on his back would probably look cool too
Sketchin out loud now...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:44:42 AM by JR Hill » Logged

hi
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »

I don't really know what this is, but it looks like some 70s cartoon

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »

The last picture does look better, but I really dislike the red colour...

eddieion
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 12:48:25 AM »

The detailing makes him look a lot more fish than bird, and the blue reinforces this idea. Couldn't you change the detailing of the tips of his fin-things and make them look a bit more feathery like they were in a previous sketch? You could also try changing the red to yellow.

Apart from that it's nice. I really like the aesthetic style.
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »

Sketchin out loud now...

Hmm I was trying to stay away from panties but I see what you mean about balancing the design.

The detailing makes him look a lot more fish than bird, and the blue reinforces this idea. Couldn't you change the detailing of the tips of his fin-things and make them look a bit more feathery like they were in a previous sketch? You could also try changing the red to yellow.

Apart from that it's nice. I really like the aesthetic style.

I was trying to simplify and cut back on unnecessary detail for animation purposes since I intend to almost fully animate this guy.

The last picture does look better, but I really dislike the red colour...

Are you just not a fan of red?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:01:53 PM by Joseph » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »

I think they would like it more if/when it's shaded.  The red is probably only a problem for them since it's pretty flat right now.

There are other ways to get around manties, and still give it some balance one would to just make him black from the waist down with red patterns on his "pants"

hi
Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »

new iteration
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic