Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:31:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAnyone looked at the recent XNA competition games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Anyone looked at the recent XNA competition games?  (Read 4436 times)
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« on: March 12, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74037

Anyone tried these?

I sort of don't have the bandwidth to download all the associated stuff (/me kicks satellite. Satellite stops working again. /me reverts to modem.), so maybe someone else can silently judge them instead.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:40:56 AM »

"It's all part of promoting Microsoft's Dream-Build-Play competition, which is designed to create awareness of its XNA development tools."

And nab a whole bunch of sweet new IP  Lips Sealed

Haven't given them a go yet but I will tonight.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:06:28 AM »

"It's all part of promoting Microsoft's Dream-Build-Play competition, which is designed to create awareness of its XNA development tools."

And nab a whole bunch of sweet new IP  Lips Sealed

I don't know, I haven't heard any horror stories from the Live Arcade people so far. Seems like a pretty good deal for indie devs from what I've heard (50/50 share?)

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:44:56 AM »

XBLA != XNA

The deal for XBLA is fine, I'm sure - but enter this (XNA) competition and they own your entry and its IP and tech. Not sure about royalties for the winner as that's as far as I read in the T&Cs for the comp Smiley

MichaelKlucher
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 03:10:58 PM »

Hey Guys, A friend directed me to this thread and just wanted to chime in to say that there is a lot of misconception regarding the ownership of IP and technology regarding the Dream Build Play competition. I would highly encourage you to check out this thread on our Creators Club website where you can get answers regarding your concerns directly from one of the people involved with the competition.

http://creators.xna.com/forums/thread/2204.aspx

Hope this will clear things up a bit for you!

Michael Klucher
Program Manager - XNA Community Game Platform
Microsoft
Dan MacDonald
The DMac
Level 1

Prisoner of the cause

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 06:20:20 PM »

Thanks for the info Michael.

I would just like to add that this kind of requirement isn't so much a predatory action as it is a self defense mechanism. Lawyers of any company with enough revenue to make them a lawsuit target go over contests like these with a fine toothed comb to make sure there's absolutely no way for the company to get burned. In the case where you are submitting a game concept or prototype to a retail publisher or a contest run by a company that also makes games, there's a very real risk that one of the concepts submitted may resemble something already in development. In this case (regardless of how well it would stand up in court, when their existing title is released the developer who submitted their demo could file suit on the complaint that Microsoft, or the publisher "stole" their IP and used it for their own gain.

Then there's a huge legal hassle where the publisher has to prove otherwise etc. yada yada yada, in the end they just take the stance "we're trying to offer you a service if your not prepared to work with us then don't bother apply".  The "We have rights to anything you submit" is just a way of covering their @$$'es and removing one avenue of litigation. Regardless of how people on the XNA team may feel, they probably don't care at all about having rights to yor IP, Legal wouldn't let a contest like this off the ground without that clause.

Those with experience in the industry should be fairly familiar with this scenario and to be honest comfortable with it. Any game developer worth his salt should have more then 1 idea anyway, if you don't want to waste your precious on a contest then don't. Use your game developer skills to come up with something you don't mind submitting to the contest. It's really not a big deal Wink
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 02:52:53 AM »

All good points Dan, cheers. Thanks for the info Michael.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic