Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:03:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPirate Heroes // Gem Dungeon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Pirate Heroes // Gem Dungeon  (Read 31673 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:06 PM »

Pirate captains race around the world, fight monsters and hire crew members to become famous! And... it's a real Indie Board Game!

Pirate Heroes evolved from Gem Dungeon, a game design exercise I was working on. It became a tile placement game of exploration, monster encounters and visits to the tavern to get new crew members. Browse this thread for some artwork and previews!

Gentleman

////////////// The original Gem Dungeon Post ////////////////////

Gem Dungeon is a 2-4 players adventure board game I am currently working on, when I'm tired of being in front of a computer. I'm not sure board games are appropriate for TIGSource, but I sure hope so! Here's a picture of the prototype being playtested:

The game started as an exercise in Exploration game mechanics. After a few playtests, I think the game works really well. It still needs a bit of tweaking and rules clarifications, but I'm hoping it's worth it.

The intent I had at first was to create a dungeon exploration game that is really simple. I wanted the rules to be easy to explain in about 5 minutes and easily understood, even by non-gamers. I think my objective was reached - I had a party where some non-gamers played and enjoyed it, including my non-gamer girlfriend. After one game SHE was explaining the rules to new players, while I was enjoying a beer!  Beer!

Once the rules and cards are set in stone, I will create simple artwork to replace the placeholder art I borrowed here and there for my prototype. I'm using monster images from Dragon Quest, I'm pretty sure I couldn't sell the game as is! Here's the kind of simple illustration I'm currently designing.

I'll make sure the rules are clear and will post a short version and a walkthrough soon! I'll eventually create a Print & Play version for you all to enjoy!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 11:37:25 AM by Dom2D » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »

It's the independent gaming, not independent video gaming Wink
I would rather see that kind of diversity branching out and mixing with usual expectation.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »

A board game? On my TIGS?

...cool! I'm looking forward to the print&play version! Smiley

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »

Any chance I could get the rules and whatever placeholder art you have before friday Dom? I'm getting together with my tabletop buddies and this sounds like a fun addition to our lineup!

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:41:28 AM »

Any chance I could get the rules and whatever placeholder art you have before friday Dom? I'm getting together with my tabletop buddies and this sounds like a fun addition to our lineup!

I'll try! I'd love to get your comments.

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:13:34 AM »

Awesome! Just, plain, awesome! =^,^=

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »

This looks absolutely awesome! I love this kind of board game.

I'll be watching this thread with great expectations.
homeDrone
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »

Totally, I'm excited about this  Grin
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »

Oh man this looks great! There needs to be more board games on this site!  I was just thinking about wanting to do a board game of some kind.  There's something about making something that's real that is unfortunately missing in computer games.  The artwork for the cards looks great too.

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »

Oh man this looks great! There needs to be more board games on this site!  I was just thinking about wanting to do a board game of some kind.  There's something about making something that's real that is unfortunately missing in computer games.  The artwork for the cards looks great too.

Making a board game is definitely fun, but it also taught me a lot of things about game design. I've been reading Brenda Brathwaite's Challenges for Game Designers: non-digital exercises for video game designers and have been learning tons about fun, player interaction, choices, puzzles, and more, lessons that I'll apply to my digital games too.

It's also incredible how quickly you can create a game and try it out when it's in physical form. Same for gameplay tweaks, just write a new rule or remove a couple cards and it's ready for playtests. I'm lucky enough to be working with a bunch of game geeks that are always willing to playtest any game, but my friends and my girlfriend were also easily lured into playtesting with some pizza and beer!

I would really love to see what incredible board games TIGForums members could come up with. So get to it people, grab a bunch of dice and game pieces, cut out some grids, write some rules and play!

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 12:06:18 PM »

I did a really simple grid based game once. Let's just say that one player controlling a hundred pieces can take a reaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyy long time.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »

girlfriend

hehehehehe

anyway, looking imba sweet! nice "graphics" Smiley can't wait to see more of it.

just_jeepin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »

Can't wait to try it... I have a 4 year old and a 6.5 year old that I'd like to try it out with.

I've been looking for an easy but fun introduction to Fantasy RPGs and such.  We've just started to watch the old D&D Cartoons.
TheDustin
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »

You know PTT covers tabletop games, right? Greg Costikyan would be tickled to play an indie boardgame. I recently took up playing Munchkin myself and could probably snag a couple friends to play this with.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 07:55:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! I don't want to rush things so it will not be ready for this week-end, but it should be ready in a couple weeks. The rules are the most time-consuming part of the design - I really want them to be as clear as possible. I'll let you playtest the game before I finish the graphics though! Smiley

You know PTT covers tabletop games, right? Greg Costikyan would be tickled to play an indie boardgame.

What's PTT?

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:26 PM »

What's PTT?

Gaze upon his signature, good traveler, and all shall be revealed to you.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:43 PM »

You know PTT covers tabletop games, right?

Oh right, yes, Play This Thing, which I read every day! T_T'''

I'll make sure to send a clean, classy version to you then, I would love your comments.

Can't wait to try it... I have a 4 year old and a 6.5 year old that I'd like to try it out with. I've been looking for an easy but fun introduction to Fantasy RPGs and such.  We've just started to watch the old D&D Cartoons.

I can't wait to hear how my game will fare with kids that age. For the basic game, you will not need to be able to read - kids should be fine once you teach them what the items
do. Well, I hope so.

Wow, now I'm really excited about making this as good as I can!

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »

Wow, looks fantastic! Coincidentally I've been working on a physical card/boardgame recently too. It's nowhere near this stage though!

I was reading Brenda Brathwaite's website too - got the link from that interview with Amon26 on TIGS a while ago. This book sounds intriguing!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »

I would really love to see what incredible board games TIGForums members could come up with. So get to it people, grab a bunch of dice and game pieces, cut out some grids, write some rules and play!

I'll take you up on that!
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:50 AM »

Boardgame unofficial mini-compo!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic