Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:36:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engine Tutorial Project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Engine Tutorial Project  (Read 2216 times)
Katawa
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »

For interested XNA users there's this very interesting how to project that's in the works here:

http://roecode.wordpress.com/xna-gameengine-development-series/

He's working on the series with what appears to be very little input and often says at the bottom of articles that he'd love more to both give better coverage of all the issues and to garner interest to write many more articles.

I think this guy is going somewhere good with this xna series that will end up being good for the independent game development community especially given Microsoft's recent productions with xbla and the like.

That being said I'm very interested in getting this guy's efforts some comments from interested people who can give the right kind of input or ask the best questions.
carbon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »

I'm currently working with C++ (Irrlicht and RakNet) but I keep hearing about XNA. Is it worth it to switch over and learn C# and XNA? Is the game development process faster? I'm more interested in making games that are fun to play rather than trying to push the limits of graphical technology.

If it is worth switching over to XNA, this tutorial series would be amazing for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Eragard in alpha development.
Alex
Level 0

Probably procrastinating right now!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:13:09 AM »

I'm using XNA at the moment, I find it a bit annoying in places because it kind of does everything for you. I guess that's a good thing, but I liked the freedom I had to just do anything when I was using C++/Allegro. An example would be the content pipeline thing, you have to add all your graphics into the project using the IDE (or at least I haven't found another way, if anyone knows please tell me), whereas in Allegro I just added my graphics to a folder and they were in the game if I needed them.

EDIT: By the way, I use it for 2D only... no idea about the 3D side of things.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic