Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:12:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAneesh Chopra GDC Message Compo Idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aneesh Chopra GDC Message Compo Idea  (Read 2305 times)
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:06:21 AM »

Foreward: Yes yes, I know there's an official idea pool thread but I think the nature of this compo suggestion (that it's both time sensitive and sort of official) warrants a separate thread.

Anyway, for those of you who went to GDC or followed it from home, right after the IGD awards and before the Choice Awards, there was a message from Aneesh Chopra from the United States Government who talked about a competition about make apps or games about healthy eating.

I'm thinking we could coincide our next compo with the US Government competition and flood the competition with Indie goodness.

The rules for the official one are here: http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/rules

The rules are pretty much make a game for kids using this dataset: http://www.data.gov/raw/1294/

The main issue I see is that this competition requires the entrant to be a resident of the United States, but I think we can skirt around that by having US residents submit for other people, or have an official submitter like Derek submitting in the name of tigsource or something like that.

The submission time-frame for the official one is now to June 30, 2010, 5:00 PM (17:00) Eastern Daylight Time.

The main benefit I see is getting some good press for the Indie community and interesting design when working with a unique data set.

Official Site: http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »

I'd like to make a game for www. appsforWhealthykids.com
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:15:22 AM by Sos » Logged

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »

I blogged about the political nature of this. I'm pretty convinced it's a landmark proposal, as innocuous as it seems.

I'm thinking of making something for it, anyway, though I'd want to avoid taking too long on it. It has a lot of design potential once you look beyond the numbers - you could make games about the history and culture of food, the industrial processes, etc.

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:15:52 AM »

Also, this:
The Competition is open only to: (1) residents of the fifty (50) United States (plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa) who are at least thirteen (13) years old at the time of entry (or teams of eligible individuals);

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic