Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:58:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessTop Tips For New Indies
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Top Tips For New Indies  (Read 49763 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

haha, it's a great ad! it was created by jforce games!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 01:59:42 AM »

I am sure I've seen that ad somewhere else. Maybe it was just linked for me somewhere or something. It's really great :D

Interesting article, thanks.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:08 AM »

I wrote up a blog post on what I learned about starting up a business. Some of the things to seek out and others to avoid. It might help those interested in starting a business to make games.

http://mile222.com/2009/04/i-remember-when-i-started-my-first-business/

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »

Good pointers. They're greatly appreciated.

Working on HeliBrawl
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 07:31:31 AM »

An interesting article from GameSetWatch, on indies and which markets (iPhone, xBox Live Indie, Pc) are easier to survive on.
encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »

so

as you stated causal has the problem of income and indie has the problem of exposure.
then in theory if you bind these 2 together you got a huge pile of sht off your head.

next question: is it possible?
yes it is.

the stuff that scares me, that i played a vast variety of causal games and did not saw your site till today. how the hell do you still manage to sell a game?

what i think works for best to get a causal out on the portals what is exactly or at least resembles the real deal you sell on your site. be careful, if you screw up the causal game, you might have to rename your site. and do not - in any case - name your causal version "demo". you might get some payment from advert to. i mean if you get it right a sht game can get you more then the next big thing.

on the other hand the causal business is pretty open for newcomers and there are a ton of references out there. especially case studies. they are my favorite, they tend to go directly for business.

and people will certainly pay 50 for a good multiplayer. advertise multiplayer a bit more. and make a game based on that. Cool

god is an instance of a class. who is the coder?
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »

Do you mean "casual"? It just undermines your advice a bit that you can't spell it, regardless of your English skills / first language. From what background of experience are you speaking?

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »

Jeez, Alex, maybe he meant "causal" as in "causality"

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 01:10:59 PM »

What do these games cause then? Giggle

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

you know what the freaky hell i am talking about.

there is
LEZ GIT AT AWN!
and
We Be Jammin'
on the front page.

just please replay to the post that how genius i am, or something.  Lips Sealed

encoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 04:19:10 AM »

What do these games cause then? Giggle

orgasm

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2010, 01:14:30 PM »

Regardless of the spelling, I could not understand a thing you wrote there.

Vlad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »

Just read this post and am surprised at its timelessness (holy crap this is the first reply in 120 days!?).

jack_norton
Level 0

Better be independent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 04:10:28 AM »

While I'm not experienced / successful as Fost, I wrote some time ago a blog post with 5 golden rules for indies. I think they still apply. If you're interested check here:
http://www.winterwolves.net/blog/2010/07/five-golden-rules-for-new-indies/

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 05:00:24 AM »

that 'don't do an epic' game is a particularly good point, although it's not what i follow myself. my first commercial game i made in 6 months (immortal defense), but my second one is taking 4+ years (and may take 4.5 years by the time it's done). i didn't expect it to take this long but it's a particularly challenging game to make. but after it's over i'm going to make small games for a long while i think, not only for business reasons but also for sanity reasons.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »

Just saw this thread, nice read, though some tips are a little outdated, not sure if the tips about sales are so valid with the Appstore and Steam being so accesible..

Trying to make an "epic" game is one of the most common reasons I've seen for projects to fail, "epic" ideas should be kept for when you have enough experience and resources to make them, not to be made as your first game.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 05:58:09 AM »

oh, i definitely have the experience. i've been making games since 1994, and have made dozens of them. even so, it's not something i'd want to do with every game.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 06:12:53 AM »

You should be fine  Gentleman

One of these days I was talking to some guys that were developing a game for 10 years now.. and it's their first game!

I've seen a bunch of young indie wannabes wanting to make a "Final-fantasiesque MMO with God of War style combat" or something like that, and failing, and that's sad Sad

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 06:53:07 AM »

they've been around for a while. there were people like that even 10 years ago on the ohrrpce forum (although mmorpgs weren't common or popular back then so instead they just wanted to make epic single-player jrpgs).

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »

10 years on a game seems like a lost cause, especially for an indie game. Then again, the closest comparison I can draw is to Duke Nukem forever, which has taken 12 so far, and is an established and massively popular IP.

But if it's your life's work, then I suppose no amount of time is too long to get it finished.

Personally, I think it's better to work on smaller games until you are successful, and _then_ work on the multi-year projects. Of course, 'successful' is a relative term, and the conditions for it change from individual to individual.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic