Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:02:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVertex -- final public demo available!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Vertex -- final public demo available!  (Read 36268 times)
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »

WARNIN'! This thread is outdated. Check out the DevLog here!

Howdy, TIG Forums!  Gentleman I'm excited to tell you that at last I've produced the final public demo of Vertex, which has been in development for years!  Hand Shake Left Cheesy Hand Shake Right Vertex is an action exploration platformer in which the player explores the province of Halcyon to fight against the unknown force behind the attack on the Vertex. This demo includes the following, and more:
  • an average of 2 to 3 hours of gameplay
  • a working inventory and shop
  • original sound, music, and graphics
  • 5 major areas, plus multiple minor areas and secret areas
  • Numerous boss battles

This game has inspiration from Nintendo's Super Metroid, Derek Yu's Spelunky,  Pixel's Cave Story  Cave Story , and a lot more games mentioned in the credits.

You can download it here. File size is approximately 36 MB.

Here's a peek at what the game looks like:

Additionally, here is an old teaser video for Vertex:

Enjoy the demo, and stay tuned! All feedback is welcome.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:17:04 PM by iMoose » Logged
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »

Welcome to TIGSource please post a welcome message in the welcome forum!! Beer!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

This game has inspiration from Nintendo's Super Metroid, Derek Yu's Spelunky, and Pixel's Cave Story

What? What are these? I've never even heard of these games! They sound lame...

!! Kidding, kidding... Actually your game looks really cool, and those are pretty solid inspirations especially for this community...

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »

Nice game.

So far the graphics are good. I hope you put more shadows around. The future implementation of power ups, hinted at the store, got me interested. I am curious about what the gem-like and sparkle-like collectibles will serve for.

I had a few problems:

When dying the first time after I started the game, I got this error:
Code: (error)
ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Press Event for X-key Key
for object obj_GameOver:

Error reading real.
Pressing abort continued the game without problems. Dying again didn't show the error, but closing the game, starting it again and then dying showed the error again.

The attack animation seems to delay the attack a little, making precise jump attacks a little difficult.

Lira shoots an arrow when she stops talking. It is not surprising, since the button for attack and advancing the text is the same, but I don't think it is the expected behavior.
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »

Welcome to TIGSource please post a welcome message in the welcome forum!!
Ah, yeah, newbie here  Embarrassed I was so eager to post this on multiple forums, I, uh... didn't really look at the rules... Anyways, I'll get right to that once I find the time.

When dying the first time after I started the game, I got this error:
Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Press Event for X-key Key
for object obj_GameOver:

Error reading real.
Pressing abort continued the game without problems. Dying again didn't show the error, but closing the game, starting it again and then dying showed the error again.

The attack animation seems to delay the attack a little, making precise jump attacks a little difficult.

Lira shoots an arrow when she stops talking. It is not surprising, since the button for attack and advancing the text is the same, but I don't think it is the expected behavior.

Many thanks for the report. Regarding that error... I'm not sure I know what caused that. I've never seen it myself. Did it happen right when you died, or when you selected resume (My guess is the latter)? And also, when that happened, did you have a save file? If not, that may be the problem.

Also, about the attacks: the animations do delay the attack by a couple frames. I agree that it makes precise air attacks pretty difficult, especially when there's a ceiling above you. It takes some getting used to, but that's hardly an excuse. I'll look into refining that.

Lastly, I've noticed myself that Lira shoots when she finishes talking. It used to also happen with Edgar, so I found a way to prevent it with him. But that same method didn't seem to work for Lira. I'm definitely looking into that one.

Thank you all for your feedback!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »

The dialogue is wonderful.

I'm glad my game is safe.

hi
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »

Many thanks for the report. Regarding that error... I'm not sure I know what caused that. I've never seen it myself. Did it happen right when you died, or when you selected resume (My guess is the latter)? And also, when that happened, did you have a save file? If not, that may be the problem.

I tested it again. The error appears when selecting resume, but only if there is a save file.  I removed the save file and, when selecting resume for the first time, no error appear.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, if the information helps.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

thats a nice game with fine graphics you have here...
im looking forward to further releases (with sound).
keep up the good work Smiley

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
gunmaggot
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »

Nice.  Don't really have any comments or crits other than to say that I like it.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »

Since no one is critiquing I'll be the bad guy.

I think the walk animation could use some work.

hi
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »

I tested it again. The error appears when selecting resume, but only if there is a save file.  I removed the save file and, when selecting resume for the first time, no error appear.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, if the information helps.
I have no idea, I tried exactly that and didn't get anything. I'll definitely look into it Concerned

Since no one is critiquing I'll be the bad guy.

I think the walk animation could use some work.
RAWR HOW DARE YOU  Angry
Actually I think I like the current one, but I might try something else. Thanks for your opinion Smiley
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »

By the way, "I like to look important" guy is the best guy.

hi
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »

I played through the demo. Here's a couple of thoughts.

The shooting could be more responsive. There's a short delay after a press the button until the time that the bullet is released. Maybe that's intentional and I just need to get used to it, but if its not you might want to make it quicker.

Also, it seems that there's no reason to use the first guy (Edgar?) after you get the chick cause she has double jump and can shoot further. What incentive is there to use the other guy? Is he stronger?

Otherwise, I like the graphics, the levels are cool (I like all the secrets and short cuts), and I like the NPC's a lot.

Keep up the good work!

BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

Also, I liked the camera movements. The camera seems to be pretty smart and know where I'm going.
DubDub
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »

iMoose, thank you very much! Hand Thumbs Up Right
Demo amazing! This game can compete with the Cave Story. Hand Clap
Good luck to you, waiting for an early release date!  Wink
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »

@MolderingDevTeam_James: I'm working on the delay for both characters now Smiley. Also, I should have made this more obvious, but Edgar is stronger than Lira. Edgar does 2 damage, Lira does 1.

@DubDub: Ahaha, thank you  Tongue that's gon' be a long time from now though.
PKBT
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 09:07:33 PM »

The graphics look downright amazing, and I like to look important as well.
I'll check the demo out tomorrow. Can't wait!
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »

Well hello! I've made vast improvements, and many many updates. Check out the original post for more details! You can play or download this second demo here at YoYoGames, or download it here at Box.net
laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 02:26:45 PM »

Really solid game so far, I enjoyed it quite a bit. My favorite mechanic is using the shadows to avoid enemies and obstacles. I didn't get a chance to use that in the garden, which I think would've been neat. I was also a little confused as to why it helped me avoid spikes, but that's not really a big deal. I also liked the hidden passages that look just like normal walls/floors. It made for a nice surprise when I fell down that one gap without knowing I would. That's another thing that I think the garden is missing. It got to be a little annoying when I'd back track and forget it was there, though. When I first got the flame attack for the first guy, I'm not sure what made me decide to punch the rock blocking me from Vertex. Even though I didn't have trouble figuring it out, it seems like some players might. The graphics look great; cool characters too. I didn't play all the way through the demo just yet, but it's definitely something I want to pick up later, which is a good sign. Keep up the good work.
CyanPrime
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:30 PM »

Needs a windowed mode. x_x

Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »

Really solid game so far, I enjoyed it quite a bit. My favorite mechanic is using the shadows to avoid enemies and obstacles. I didn't get a chance to use that in the garden, which I think would've been neat. I was also a little confused as to why it helped me avoid spikes, but that's not really a big deal. I also liked the hidden passages that look just like normal walls/floors. It made for a nice surprise when I fell down that one gap without knowing I would. That's another thing that I think the garden is missing. It got to be a little annoying when I'd back track and forget it was there, though. When I first got the flame attack for the first guy, I'm not sure what made me decide to punch the rock blocking me from Vertex. Even though I didn't have trouble figuring it out, it seems like some players might. The graphics look great; cool characters too. I didn't play all the way through the demo just yet, but it's definitely something I want to pick up later, which is a good sign. Keep up the good work.

Thank you. I will definitely try to keep it up. Did you get anywhere past the Garden? Because there are a lot of shadows in the Mine. Also, that backtracking issue will be mostly solved with the map that I will soon be working on.

Needs a windowed mode. x_x

You can still press F4, and it toggles fullscreen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic