Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:48:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignEmotional involvement and 'long' web games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Emotional involvement and 'long' web games  (Read 5427 times)
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »

Okay, so I'm thinking about trying to learn flash once I'm done with my current projects; the thing is, I want it to be a fairly long game (let's say, 4-6 hours singleplayer campaign) with a plot in it. Not exactly a for-the-sake-of-it plot, either.
The thing is, I think generally people who play web-games are seeking short-term receive-bacon type games, so I don't know if it's worth it going with said language.
So yeah, wanted to know what you guys had to say about this.
DISCUSS.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »

Well, it's certainly something that hasn't been done much yet. I could very well imagine myself playing a long high-quality Flash game (as long as it easily recorded my progress). If you're thinking of making it freeware I say go for it. Not like you're risking anything and it'd be a neat experiment.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:07:36 AM »

Well, you can make downloadable executables with flash as well as reading and writing save files, so I don't think you would be worse off than with any other wysiwyg-like editors. Some friends of mine made Promqueen with flash a few years back and the framework has only evolved since then. The lessons and tutorials included with flash are also very helpful.

You'll have to be careful about one thing, though, since you have the project decided before learning the tools. You need to be careful not to start working on the actual project before you have a good sense of how you want to structure it; specifically, since you're going to have a lot of dynamic content you might want to use dynamic loading and generic formats (like XML) to make development manageable and counter long initial loading times. When starting out with flash it's easy to simply use the graphical editor and just drop everything you want where you want it, but this will most likely come back to haunt you if you're making a long game.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:51:50 AM »

If you are about to learn a new language, I suggest that you first do some tests with it.  As Saint mentionned, you need to have a good sense of what your tool can and cannot do. That doesn't mean you can't start designing the game you have in mind.  In fact, elaborating the design might help you choose the right tool to create your game (confimring the use of flash or discarding it)

Also, like Melly said, web-games can be quite long if the game allows the player to easily save his progress. You'll also need to supply plenty of mid-term goals to make sure your player will want to come back to your game. I feel web-games are just like what arcade games used to be. Thousands of game, in one single place, all wanting the player's attention. Each game tries to attract the player with all sorts of tricks but the game with the best gameplay and short-term/mid-term goals wins his attention. So, to answer your question, yes the game may be worth it and players will enjoy it if you manage to fulfill their "short-term, receive bacon" need as well as offering something deeper along the way. Of course, that's my personal view.

Good luck on the project Smiley

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »

I definitely would rather play a long game as an application.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »

What he said. Among other reasons, the ability to play offline is quite nice. Of course, you can have a standalone flash file, right?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »

Thirded.  When I'm online I'm pretty much looking for quick entertainment.  The longest I've ever played a browser game for is about ten or fifteen minutes, with very few exceptions (I went through all of Platform from beginning to end, and a couple tower defense games have had me hooked).  I much prefer longer games to be downloadable apps.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

I went through all of Platform from beginning to end....blah blah blah
I like the way it's episodic like that. So there's another option if you're really want it to be browser-based. im ho, that's much more appealing than having an epic, online-only adventure.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »

Thanks for the all the awesome answers, guys!
It'll actually be atleast a few months before I even start on this, just so you know.
So if you were given the option of choosing between online play (Probably with a small ad at the begining) and offline download, would that get your jollies on or whateverthefuckexpressionyouwanttouse?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »

Yeah, the option for both would get my jollies on. Get 'em on hard!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

I don't have a problem with playing long games in a web browser, provided you could save and return at any time.

BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:10:09 AM »

What kind of game is it going to be?

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »

turn based strategy

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »

well, if it's in flash you can do it standalone very easily too, you will have more players because people will be able to run it also offline or on an pc without a connection and an higher quality sense.

Long web based games are good only if played in multiplayer (Mud, mmo or a room based thing)

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »

What about bandwidth usage?  If people can download your game as an executable, then they will probably only do it once.  On the other hand, I guess you could load a web game in parts depending on how far people play.  Though my impression has always been that flash objects load completely before they start.

That said, I think more people are likely to try a web game than a downloadable one.  I have no idea if there is any research to back that up.  And in the indie, screw capitalism spirit, think of all the people who play games at work.  They might not be able to run executables, but they can play flash objects in a browser.

Edit: I just joined, and I've been reading back several pages.  I just realized how far back this post was.  What did you decide to do, Inane?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:57:41 PM by Thorst » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 07:57:32 PM »

I say have the application BOTH on the browser and as a downloadable. Everybody wins.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:25:53 AM »

Yeah, it would be a good experiment too... you know to see if people are willing to spend so much time on playing a browser game. It hasn't been done a lot I think.

"Fun is rule."
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 12:41:49 PM »

I am down and ready for a long web game and I always wonder why there arn't many...

That said I would want it to be more in the style of portable games ie. Fire Emblem it's epic and long and a srpg but you can stop at any time and continue where you left off.  It's good in short bursts.  That's what I think your game would need too.
Thorst
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 09:28:18 PM »

The developer Arcane Journeys, just featured on this site, designates its web games as persistent browser-based games (PBBGs.)  According to pbbg.org, this usually implies a massively multiplayer web game, but it includes long single player games also.

And how exactly would saving work?  I would rather not have to create an account or write down anything.  In fact, I think if the game has saving, I would always prefer a download to a web game.
Edmund
Back in Black
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »

honestly i think the best way to do it would be in flash (web/exe) but release it in episodes. not only will get get a bigger fan base once you have all the episodes out, but it will also get you a pretty penny when it comes to sponsorship for each episode.

also, from personal experience, its better to do things in little chunks as an indy/web game dev because you never know what will happen while your making it. almost every web game ive done was originally going to be part of a larger game, but for whatever reason the "Full" version never got done.

so really think about cutting it up, it helps. and doing both exe and online flash is ideal.
-Edmund
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic