Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:26:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsNew England jam?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: New England jam?  (Read 7091 times)
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »

Looks like a cool spot!  It'll be a 7 hour drive for me but worth it!  I can see why they only want original music now but I could be wrong but it seems like its only if you are performing it.  I'm sure we could get away with playing some chiptunes as they wouldn't be owned by any major corporation.  I'd be interested in the NYC meet up too.

CROS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »

Yeah, it seemed to be only music licensed by those three companies. I'd imagine most chiptunes would be fine, then. And, yeah, it'd be a bit of a drive for me as well, but that place looks freakin' awesome.
dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

Hey, I'd love to participate a New England game jam. I help run jams in Boston all the time. A few years ago I ran Boston Game Jam:

http://tinysubversions.com/bostongamejam/games_noflash.html

And I help my friend out with

http://bostongamejams.com/

AS220 is an awesome space and I'd be totally up for taking the train there. Also happy to run a jam in Boston too.

For those of you who were asking about Boston GameLoop we're not limiting who can attend anymore (it was kind of a dumb idea to begin with). I'd love to have anyone from the TIGSource forums at the event!

Macguffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »

For those of you who were asking about Boston GameLoop we're not limiting who can attend anymore (it was kind of a dumb idea to begin with). I'd love to have anyone from the TIGSource forums at the event!

QFT.  Please do come.  

On Game Jams - we have been planning to do a Boston Indies game jam for a while now at Microsoft NERD over some weekend.  I've just been so slammed that it hasn't gone anywhere lately.  The NERD folks are pretty excellent, the space is huge, and it's right at Kendall on the Red Line.  I guess the question is if people want to come to Boston.  We'll definitely do the jam at some point this year, but if we could pull in some of you guys, that would rock.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:45:58 AM by Macguffin » Logged

Scott @ Macguffin Games
All Heroes Die - "Like if Civ and Choose Your Own Adventure Books had babies."
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »

The final word from AS220 is that, while they're interested in the idea of hosting a Jam, they need to keep their weekends free because that's when most bands prefer to use the space, and that's a big financial need for them. What they can offer is a longish chunk of time on a weekday or something like 5 o'clock to 8 o'clock on a Sunday or Saturday, which doesn't sound ideal.

So maybe we should consider Boston or New York after all. Boston's easier for me to get to but I can see we'll probably bring in more people in New York.
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »

Yeah, NYC would be perfect for me this summer.  I wonder if Ivan would still be up for figuring out a place that this would work.  I think he was attempting to last time we tried this for nyc.

Macguffin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 08:35:48 AM »

Hey folks - there'll be a jam in late August as a fundraiser to get a fellow Boston-area indie back into the country.  He's from Turkey and has run into visa issues, and we're doing this as a fundraiser. 

http://bostongamejams.com/

The guys organizing this also are pretty much doing small-scale jams every two months.

Scott @ Macguffin Games
All Heroes Die - "Like if Civ and Choose Your Own Adventure Books had babies."
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:08 PM »

Sad to say I couldn't make that last Boston Game Jam, but I signed on for updates about the next one.

But folks, I found something in Cambridge!

http://betahouse.org/

This place sounds kind of awesome. I just shot them an email about how hard it is to schedule an event and if a Game Jam is something they'd like to host. I think for the numbers we'd be likely to get it should be completely workable. I'll keep ye posted on what they say, but I think it sounds promising!
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »

Or... dang. Word came back swiftly: they're on hiatus as of September 1st. They suggest using the Microsoft New England Research & Development Center (MS NERD!) as the space, though from the look of it I bet it costs a buttload. Worth a shot though.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »

Sad to say I couldn't make that last Boston Game Jam, but I signed on for updates about the next one.

But folks, I found something in Cambridge!

http://betahouse.org/

This place sounds kind of awesome. I just shot them an email about how hard it is to schedule an event and if a Game Jam is something they'd like to host. I think for the numbers we'd be likely to get it should be completely workable. I'll keep ye posted on what they say, but I think it sounds promising!

Betahouse and it's folks are awesome!  Unfortunately they currently don't have a space. They were transitioning to a new location as they outgrew their current one but the location fell through.  They are awaiting on securing a new location now.

A place that is totally available and has run game jams in the past is called Sprout in Somerville.  

There has been at least one game jam there so far (DINO.)

Also I organize a weekly game development co-work session out of there on Tuesdays. You can check out the Boston Indies google calendar (via Boston Postmortem's site) to see the days since it sometimes changes a little.

The space easily holds 8 people (with plenty of tables, wifi, and power) and the three folks who run Sprout are really cool.  I've been there a few weeks now and have really been enjoying it.

There is going to be another Boston Game Jam coming up in October as well on either Oct 2nd/3rd or 9th/10th (date still in progress...)

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »

Or... dang. Word came back swiftly: they're on hiatus as of September 1st. They suggest using the Microsoft New England Research & Development Center (MS NERD!) as the space, though from the look of it I bet it costs a buttload. Worth a shot though.

Yeah the NERD center is huge and costly I'd imagine.  That was where the recent Boston Game Loop unConference was held. It fit 200+ easily but not something that is affordable for a small group.

The Boston Game Jams are often held at the really cool MIT Gambit Game Lab.  The space is perfect for 20 or so at least and has multiple rooms to setup in for the group collabs.

dariusk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »

Actually, NERD offers their space for free if they can.

And you can keep an eye on http://bostongamejams.com for upcoming jams -- the next one is tentatively Oct 9/10.

If people want to do a jam that is loosely TIG-affiliated (perhaps based around an upcoming compo) you can PM me and I'll put you in touch with Darren over at Boston Game Jams who I know would be more than happy to make things happen.

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 01:05:36 PM »

Actually, NERD offers their space for free if they can.

That is awesome and good to know!

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »

Can I get a FUCK YEAH??
Darren Torpey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 04:02:22 AM »

FYI, I just announced the next Boston Game Jam: Lunar Jam, Oct 9th and 10th @ GAMBIT.

This one's a tie-in with SHIFTboston's MOON CAPITAL compo.

Come one, come all.

RSVP will be up soon; I just have to sort out a few logistical details.

I'm hoping to host an online get-together the Friday night before the jam to help people learn tools (like Akihabara) and brainstorm ideas.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic