Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:45:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrincess Pretty-Eyes Saves the Kingdom
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Princess Pretty-Eyes Saves the Kingdom  (Read 2623 times)
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »

Demo:
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1269639456

Entire Game In Fewer Words Than Are In This Sentence:
Iwagana Meets Disney. Princess battles baddies to save her prince.

Story:
Pretty-Eyes has finally had her fairy tale romance and married her prince charming. Just as they get back from their honeymoon pirates kidnap the prince and send a letter to the Unicorn King (It's a title, he's not an actual unicorn) demanding gold, land whatever. Princess Pretty-Eyes DID NOT deal with evil step sisters and being turned into a frog and getting poisoned by an evil queen just to lose her prince, so she grabs a sword and a horse to go get the prince back.

Gameplay:
Iwagana-esque. A little more Alien Soldier in the inclusion of some running and jumping between bosses and less bullet-hell-ness. A little more Guwange in weapon simplicity.
Basically 45-60 seconds of mild platforming/bullet dodging and popcorn enemies followed by a boss. Have some sort of scoring mechanic for play depth to make up for lack of weapons.

Mechanics:
-Iwagana/Guwange-esque movable cursor/weapon thingy. while holding down the button the  player can't jump and moves at 50% speed while aiming crosshairs. At the crosshairs Princess Pretty-Eyes' woodland friends pounce on enemies dealing damage.
-Sword attack for melee.
-Jumping on enemies deals damage (you're riding a war horse).
-Several bomb/spell things, a couple different types to choose from get to use up to X per level, in universe explanation is wishes from you're fairy god mothers. possibly collect more fairies in a level to increase number of bombs. Bomb types will have different strategic uses against various bosses.

Graphics:
I'm not an artist so once I get the game up and running I'mma be asking for a collab. but ideally a 16-bit look with fairly sizable sprites, bright palette, more of a hand drawn than pixel-art aesthetic (see Alladin or Maui Mallard).
The cursor based weapon will be critters coming in and attacking enemies with different critters based on level (mice in castle, squirrels in woods, fish on pirate boat, etc.).
Obviously I'm pretty much at the mercy of an interested artist so I'll take what I can get.

Level Themes:
Field outside castle, Black Knight boss.
Woods, Evil Witch boss
Swamp, Alligator Boss
Ocean (riding a dolphin?), Kraken boss
Pirate ship, Pirate boss (duh)
More to be dreamed up as game progresses (and probably have each level broken up into two parts), possibly a story twist where the pirates were hired by some other kingdom, or a dragon thus leading on to more levels.

Status: writing weapon logic and learning how to use the various platformer logic baked into Flixel.

Note: All names are tentative.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:36:51 PM by magnum_opus » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:28:56 PM »

I suggest for the ocean level that your unicorn gains a fish tail. I forgot what that was called though.

This is a fantastic idea, also! I love the parody style of it.
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »

Hippocampus! good call.

It's not intended so much a parody as it is a side effect of my simultaneous love of Disney Princess movies and annoyance at the fact that while we keep getting told these women are strong independent rebels (Belle, Ariel, Tiana, Jasmine) by the marketing, their actions in the movies never really show it.

I think some Disney animator for Beauty and the Beast once said "Belle was the strongest female character we'd ever written and all she does is read a book in one scene."

I just wanted a fairy tale princess that kicks some butt. So in this installment of the universe she's saving her prince. Really the only reason there's a prince is because the genre requires one.

magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »

DEMO! sort of.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1269283971

arrows move.
hold Z to move red thing (in all four directions).
x to jump.
c to slash.
space to bomb.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:49:36 AM by magnum_opus » Logged

magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 02:36:31 PM »

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1269639456
slightly newer demo.
now has two tentative levels, no boss yet, and jumping through platforms seems properly implemented thanks to the helpful people at the flixel forum.

status: now sitting down and trying to actually design levels and enemies. getting to the point that non programmer art would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:01:38 PM by magnum_opus » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic