Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:39:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrecipitation (V0.07) (Updated 04/09)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Precipitation (V0.07) (Updated 04/09)  (Read 2912 times)
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »

UPDATED 04/09: Changelist and To-Do List after the pic.

[I just realised since Precipitation is a WIP I should create a thread here too and post progress. So that's what I'm doing.]

PRECIPITATION is a slight twist on the arena shooter. Enemies spawn at the edges of the screen and make their way towards the Crystal in the center of the screen. If an enemy touches the crystal it crystallises and becomes indestructible. The goal is to survive the waves of enemies and accumulate a high score. I'm making the game in Game Maker 7.

CONTROLS:

Move with WASD or ARROW KEYS.
Aim with the MOUSE
Shoot with the LEFT MOUSE BUTTON. Shots move towards where the mouse pointer was when the shot was fired.

GAMEPLAY

Shoot enemies before they touch the crystal.
Colliding with enemies or Crystal ends the game (this is subject to change, I'm thinking of introducing a health bar that gets depleted when you touch an enemy or the crystal).
Crystal and crystallised enemies are impervious to shots, and you will have to move/shoot around them.
Considering dividing the game into 'waves' of 1-3 minutes, with bonus points for ending a wave with no crystallised enemies and full health.

Currently the game is set up more as a survival mode with a single enemy type, but I'm working on the waves mechanics and additional enemy types and behaviours.

Download the current version (0.07) here

NEW IN V0.07:
*Player now has 3 health. When touching a regular enemy or bullet, 1 health is lost and the player gains 1 second of immunity to further attacks, shown by a spherical blue shield. When touching a crystallised enemy, all remaining health is lost.
*Autofire re-implemented, at a rate of just under 4 shots per second. Click-to-fire yields a higher rate of fire.
*Up to 6 levels, spawn rates still need tweaking, some enemy behaviours need more work still
*Survival mode implemented - neverending survival mode
*Expanded screen to 800x640. Play area is still 640x640, the right side of the screen will be used for UI elements, stats, health, etc
*Moved play stats to the right of the screen, out of the way

TO DO:
*Show player health on screen
*Give enemies point values
*Make UI area of the screen visually distinct from play area
*Implement alternate weapon with RMB
*Detailed stat tracking
*SFX & Music
*Graphics revamp
*Spawn rates and enemy behaviours
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:12:12 AM by Destral » Logged

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »

Really awesome so far, and an even more awesome idea. Some thoughts: The game gets too fast and too hard way to quick. Maybe there's phases and each one has more enemies OR gets faster.

In terms of gameplay, it needs bonuses and multipliers and also things that would make the game more frantic, but never let it get unmanageable.

I do like the minimalist graphics, but I think you could build on it really nicely by having everything glow with lots of cool trails. Dyson or Flow come to mind, but that's just aesthetics and just my personal opinion.

Good work so far. Keep it up!
Fork and Beard
Level 0

kappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »

The sound effects totally wigged me out but then they kinda grew on me so I would certainly keep them in.

I think the premise is the strongest thing here.

I'd like to see some momentum in the controlled ship. Let it slow down and slide about - think Asteriods.

Consider having a bomb arrive at regular intervals which you can shoot to cause an explosion to get rid of some of the unmovables. I think the bullets should move a lot quicker too. This will make pot shots more satisfying, you could increase the size of the bullets. Make em fat and long but that's just my personal preference. Just the way I'd like to see it go.

Good work soldier.

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »

Posted version 0.04:

* The game is now divided into levels. Each level lasts 1 minute, and introduces a new enemy type with a different behaviour. There are currently 4 levels. Level 4 might be a little too hard.
* Greatly lowered the overall difficulty of the game: speed and numbers of enemy spawns have been vastly reduced.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:14:59 AM »

It's a cool game, but I really really think you should allow players to hold down the mouse button instead of tapping it. I played for about 2 minutes before I died and didn't want to play any more because my finger was hurting.

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »

I do like the minimalist graphics, but I think you could build on it really nicely by having everything glow with lots of cool trails. Dyson or Flow come to mind, but that's just aesthetics and just my personal opinion.
Once the game is finished, I'll probably look into poking around here some to see if I can find a talented artist to make some better graphics for the game. The stuff in there now is mostly just placeholder. Thanks a lot for the feedback and encouragement!

I'd like to see some momentum in the controlled ship. Let it slow down and slide about - think Asteriods.

I might put that into a future version and see how it plays out. I did make the bullets slightly bigger and faster in 0.04. As for bombs, I'm considering making one of the later enemy types have an explosion that destroys crystallised enemies if it touches them, but with a limited range so it's a bit of a gamble.

It's a cool game, but I really really think you should allow players to hold down the mouse button instead of tapping it. I played for about 2 minutes before I died and didn't want to play any more because my finger was hurting.

Definitely. Hold-to-fire will re-emerge in the next version, albeit not at the same rate of fire as in the first version.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:51:49 PM by Destral » Logged

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 02:13:55 AM »

New version 0.07 is up.

NEW IN V0.07:
*Player now has 3 health. When touching a regular enemy or bullet, 1 health is lost and the player gains 1 second of immunity to further attacks, shown by a spherical blue shield. When touching a crystallised enemy, all remaining health is lost.
*Autofire re-implemented, at a rate of just under 4 shots per second. Click-to-fire yields a higher rate of fire.
*Up to 6 levels, spawn rates still need tweaking, some enemy behaviours need more work still
*Survival mode implemented - neverending survival mode
*Expanded screen to 800x640. Play area is still 640x640, the right side of the screen will be used for UI elements, stats, health, etc
*Moved play stats to the right of the screen, out of the way

TO DO:
*Show player health on screen
*Give enemies point values
*Make UI area of the screen visually distinct from play area
*Implement alternate weapon with RMB
*Detailed stat tracking
*SFX & Music
*Graphics revamp
*Spawn rates and enemy behaviours

Pages: [1]