Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:24:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Wii
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Wii  (Read 60044 times)
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 02:58:13 PM »

you could play cs with a controller on pc, y'know...

Ah, yes, but I was far too lazy for that.  Plus I didn't own a controller for my PC at the time.  But, point taken.
googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »

Pshhh, that's nothing. They translated the entire game over from japanese, because now they had pixel on hand so they could get it closer to the original meaning.

i don't think "cave-story-dialogue-as-pixel-intended" is inherently superior to "cave-story-dialogue-as-english-speakers-know-it" because even if the original artistic intention is distorted, that's how everyone knows it and that's the form in which it gained its fame

that is, it is impossible to justify removing the game's most prominent catchphrase
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »

Thought about getting it, but I already played the crap out of the original. The extras don't seem big enough for me.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »

Is there a Wiiware demo of it? (does Wiiware do demos yet?... I haven't turned on the wii for months)

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »

^^I don't know of any game demo, but I'm gonna guess that it plays like cavestory...  Wink

Pshhh, that's nothing. They translated the entire game over from japanese, because now they had pixel on hand so they could get it closer to the original meaning.

i don't think "cave-story-dialogue-as-pixel-intended" is inherently superior to "cave-story-dialogue-as-english-speakers-know-it" because even if the original artistic intention is distorted, that's how everyone knows it and that's the form in which it gained its fame

that is, it is impossible to justify removing the game's most prominent catchphrase

Not really that hard to justify. Considering that the translation was completely done by fans having no official affiliation with the original developer (besides his consent to the translation), it makes sense from a publisher standpoint to make an "official translation". Besides, the Corporate offices at Nintendo would probably feel uncomfortable publishing what is essentially a mod on there official distribution service.

Also, grassland is now called bushland.

I hope Aeon Genesis can get some credit though. If they didn't translate it than we probably wouldn't be talking about playing cavestory on the wii right now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:29:09 PM by salade » Logged
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »

WHAT. Now I'm pissed. Corny Laugh

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »

I'm gonna buy a wii for this shit.

And I'm saying shit with all the love of my heart.

MaloEspada
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »

seriously, don't.
Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 05:31:30 PM »

seriously, don't.
The wii still has a lot of other great games. :C

thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »

Why? Graphics look good, haven't played Cave Story in a while and I wanna support those guys. And I wanna play Mario Galaxy 2 anyway, so fuck it.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »

Imho, this revamp of Cave Story would have done much better on a different console. As I see it, Cave Story is a gamer's game. The Wii generally attracts non-gamers as it's larger crowd,(and most gamers leave it to dust for months on end) and I think that's a bit hit to the game's success. Honestly, most people I know with Wiis don't even connect them to the internet, so they'll probably never know it exists.

gunmaggot
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »

smh
thomasmahler
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2010, 05:48:01 PM »

Imho, this revamp of Cave Story would have done much better on a different console. As I see it, Cave Story is a gamer's game. The Wii generally attracts non-gamers as it's larger crowd,(and most gamers leave it to dust for months on end) and I think that's a bit hit to the game's success. Honestly, most people I know with Wiis don't even connect them to the internet, so they'll probably never know it exists.

Completely agree with this. Cave Story should be on XBLA and PSN.

gunmaggot
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »

It should be on all of them, yeah.
TheGhostsofChristmasPat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »

what the hell is wrong with all of you people? Nobody on here has mentioned the music and that is clearly the worst part about this! Nicalis completely butchered every track and it made me want to tear my ears off from the moment I heard it until the end of the game! It completely ruined the atmosphere for me and made me regret even buying it for wii. I had very low expectations for this but he even managed to surprise me with how bad it was. The dialogue didn't really sound like the original and pretty much lost all its charm, they even say Lol. Also yeah the Huzzah thing is horrible, I'm pretty disappointed in this whole thing and really want to write Nicalis some hatemail
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:06:20 PM by TheGhostsofChristmasPat » Logged
MaloEspada
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:47 PM »

Yeah, the soundtrack is less actionish and more ambientish than the original. It kinda ruined part of the atmosphere to me, but you can always use the old soundtrack..
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »

dang from the reviews it looks like nostalgia cost this game.
TheGhostsofChristmasPat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »

It also is missing drums and bass in almost every single track, like I'm fine with ambient, Donkey kong country did that really well and I loved their music! I honestly thought the new cavestory music was less ambient and more obnoxious.
Also you can't really use the old music because it wasn't even integrated properly, some tracks are too loud or too quiet and none of them loop properly.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 06:37:55 PM »

nostalgia cost this game.
Well, it's not exactly identical to the original, so bitches gonna bitch. Nothing wrong with the game, mind you. Balrog is something that he didn't say in the unofficial translation, though, and the music is in a different style, so I guess that makes it guillotine time.

This reminds me of the La Mulana Wii trailer and the people who got hung up on the number of coins received from one of the pots in the trailer. It's best to ground your blind hatred in at least the slightest portion of reality, people.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »

[...]they even say Lol.
WHAAAAT!? Apoplectic

Ok. I seriously doubt that was what Pixel intended.

Why not Obamaland? Durr...?
Sorry, I had to do it.

Also you can't really use the old music because it wasn't even integrated properly, some tracks are too loud or too quiet and none of them loop properly.
Ok, I really hope that's not true, because if it is, it is very sad.

Well, it's not exactly identical to the original, so bitches gonna bitch. Nothing wrong with the game, mind you. Balrog is something that he didn't say in the unofficial translation, though, and the music is in a different style, so I guess that makes it guillotine time.
Well, the "lol" thing and the "old soundtrack problems" thing seem pretty well grounded. Did you see those too?

Well, I will end up buying nevertheless, as soon I get a Wii.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:45:16 PM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic