Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:30:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Wii
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Wii  (Read 60048 times)
falsion
« Reply #320 on: November 23, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »

Alright, I played the new version. My friend bought it and I played through his account.

It's awful. It's just a straight port of the Wii version. Also the worst thing about it is that it can't change resolution. The original exe file of CS could play at glorious low res.

Instead it stretches the graphics using an interpolation filter, and it looks awful. You can turn it off and play it 1:1 but with a black border and really small screen area.

I always play sprite based games on a CRT, just so I can play them with that true 1:1 pixel look. I'm sure a lot of people don't bother and just say "screw it" then play it on their new LCDs, but for me this sucks.

Also the game seems a lot more sluggish or resource intensive, or maybe it's just me. Some of the sound effects are completely changed too, even in the so called "classic" mode.

Glad I didn't pay for this. And that actually sounds stupid. Why would you pay for Cave Story?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #321 on: November 23, 2011, 09:53:48 PM »

well one would pay for the game to support the developer. but the 'developer' in this case is Nicalis. it's hard to say if Pixel gets any royalies from the sales of Cave Story+ or not.

someone pointed me out to this:
http://cavestory.org/forums/showthread.php?p=145417#post145417

you can mod the game to get the 'original' translation. but why bother? just play the original version, nothing is wrong with it.
iffi
« Reply #322 on: November 23, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »

I'm interested in the extra stage added, but not so much so that I would pay $10 for a freeware game with some "enhancements" I don't really care about.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: November 24, 2011, 01:16:46 AM »

As for me I don't see a problem with Nicalis wanting to expand their audience into making the game to more platforms as possible. Not anyone has a PC, and for those that do have, there's now the same improved version that there was on the Wii. (although I notice the music is slightly different, but maybe it's just me)
Besides that of it wasn't for this multiplatform release Cave Story wouldn't be as popular as it is today, so if more people are having fun with the game that's a good thing, even though I understand how for someone who just "likes" the original it might not be worth it.
They saw the Wii version was a hit so they did an another "trench" of versions.
That said another "trench" of versions would be overkill, at least in this time. I would like if they did something new now (btw where's NightSky for Wii?).

Also, even though the translation has the Pixel seal of approval I don't know why they didn't kept with "Huzzah". SINCE ITS A SYNONYM OF OH YEAH. But there's something that rewards that: The final line of that Dog in Hell is fucking badass, WAY more than in the original, so all is forgiven.

leonelc29
« Reply #324 on: November 24, 2011, 01:39:52 AM »

so it's like Cave Story of Angry Bird now? that they re-re-re-release a game and did a little bit on improvement and enhancement?
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: November 24, 2011, 01:50:08 AM »

Angry Birds do not do any improvements between versions.  Tongue

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2011, 06:16:44 AM »

I'm interested in the extra stage added, but not so much so that I would pay $10 for a freeware game with some "enhancements" I don't really care about.

In general I am frustrated when a game I like and have already played adds a single new level or dungeon and I have to buy the whole thing over again to get it. (See pretty much every SNES game ported the the GBA or DS)

This is doubly so when I have to replay the whole game just to get 1 hour of new content. What I really want is to just play the new content. I already played the old content.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »

Yeah, that's another thing that puts me off, when they decide to add new content they should do it for all the platforms via update. Curly Mode is still exclusive to Wii, so each version as different content, but I'll take a new bonus level over a sprite swap.

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »

The final line of that Dog in Hell is fucking badass, WAY more than in the original, so all is forgiven.

What's that? I think I've forgotten that bit.
Nix
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

If those are the Wii graphics, I can hardly tell the difference...
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: November 29, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »

The final line of that Dog in Hell is fucking badass, WAY more than in the original, so all is forgiven.

What's that? I think I've forgotten that bit.

On the corridor before fighting Ballos, there's a puppy near the door. In the PC version his final line was "His [ballos'] magic power have gone wild, and now he cannot even die.". However the phrase in the Wii/Steam Version was "He's [ballos] the man that never dies.". I thinks it's a lot more cooler what the puppy says in the Wii/Steam version.
Feel free to call me weird for that.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: December 16, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »

It already is. It's been out for a month or two...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic