Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:23:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesCave Story Wii
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Wii  (Read 60046 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »

I played through til the Toroko battle at the end of Sand Zone, and IMO (obviously am a little bit biased) this is a great port.  HOWVER I would urge EVERYONE to go into the Options screen and turn sound FX down to about 30-40%!  Am eager to replay as Curly with the new tunes though, just to see what they did with the place Smiley

cup full of magic charisma
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »

Wait, I thought they added in the original music and graphics as options, so whats the complaining about?
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »

Wii's gamer user base may be smaller, but not nonexistent. I'm personally glad Wii is getting games like this and La Mulana.
TheCube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 07:02:25 PM »

HOWVER I would urge EVERYONE to go into the Options screen and turn sound FX down to about 30-40%!

That is a great idea.  So I guess the appropriate internet phrase is "qft?"  Yeah, I think that's it.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »

Wii's gamer user base may be smaller, but not nonexistent. I'm personally glad Wii is getting games like this and La Mulana.

yeah i agree, I hope to see other indies making an appearance.

I don't mind if there are some flaws, it was just good to play it.

Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »

jajitsu's acting pretty modest, he called me over just so i could see him play. i've never seen him that excited... Crazy

all done up, it looks like it belongs with all the wii ware

"insta-fucking-ly"
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »

Cave story fan bitching over details? I thought i were on sonic retro board again for a moment  Corny Laugh at least they didn't give the character green eyes, elongated legs and homing attacks!  Roll Eyes

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »

I always like the blink invincibility instead of the homing, details, details.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »

I love how people are making a big deal about some changed dialogue. It's silly
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2010, 10:45:52 PM »

Well, it's not the changed dialogue.  It's the fact that the AGTP translation SOUNDS better.

Huzzah!  Grasstown!  and so forth.  Hell, I see people saying "huzzah!" all the time in indie circles.  I wonder why that is....  it's like a rallying cry or something now.  And the source material, as presented to a new audience, completely lacks it.

It kinda hurts.  Also, the new music is...muzaked and kinda lame.  Really, the only reason I bought it was to try and support Pixel for any future endeavors.  However, if I had never played and adored the original and I paid $12 for this game as it stands.

Man, I'd be waaaay more pissed off than I am right now.  As it stands I'll get over it.

Honestly, I'm not sure what's wrong with the Cave Story port.   It either lacks heart or brains or both.  Something is definitely missing from the do-over. 

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2010, 11:11:08 PM »

I love how people are making a big deal about some changed dialogue. It's silly
It is not just about some changed dialogue. Despite the fact that they already had something perfect, they just took it and made it worse for seemingly no reason. Therefore it is not unreasonable to assume that there are more instances of the game being made worse for no reason.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 11:46:20 PM »

Huzzah!  Grasstown!  and so forth.  Hell, I see people saying "huzzah!" all the time in indie circles. 
I'm damn near certain that this is DeceasedCrab's fault, not AGTP.

Despite the fact that they already had something perfect, they just took it and made it worse for seemingly no reason.
This assertion requires that the original translation be perfect, and the new translation be worse, neither of which are necessarily true.

You know guys, nostalgia was so much better in the old days...
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »

I'll take Grasstown over Bushlands any day of the week.  You're right, it is subjective, but it's not like we're crazy either.  It's not just the translation that's...off.  The music has weird volume issues and no bass or drums to back it up.  It's just...really not suited to the game.

It's a lot of little things.  And by the way, DC got it from Balrog and I *have* seen people use it before he started doing it in his LPs.

Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:58 AM »

Diseased crab... *shudder*

Aside from that though, I dont see why the music is such a problem if you have access to the original music as well...
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »

I'll take Grasstown over Bushlands any day of the week.

Bushlands makes more sense though, since it's not exactly a town to begin with.
Also, saying Huzzah! is just as lame as saying Oh Yeah!

I dont see why the music is such a problem if you have access to the original music as well...

This.

Are you guys also going to complain that on Hard Mode you play as a human, blonde Quote with a blue cap?

Seriously though, if you prefer the translated PC version, play that. I doubt people who are new to Cave Story, who seem like the prime audience for this rather than fans who've played it to death already, are going to give a shit.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 12:52:21 AM »

The fact the new music is even there is like a dilution of the whole.  It's like saying, "look I know there's a big turd sitting on the plate.  But it's optional and you can just throw it out and eat the rest of it."

But honestly, I'm not really willing to get into the argument.  The only thing I know is I played it, got pissed off by the lack of polish for something that took them years to hash out, and am now justifying the purchase in my head by hoping Pixel gets something out of it.

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »

I'd like to point out that Nicalis made copyright claims on several of DeceasedCrab's Cave Story videos, forcing them down for like a month, and that this action has never been explained. (And that this happened before Cave Story Wii was announced- this was the first publically visible connection between Nicalis and Cave Story.)

Also, all the music was redone by Yann van der Cruyssen (Nurykabe). He's a pretty cool guy and he did a lot of music for Knytt Stories and then was like co-creator of Saira. His music is great, but I simply cannot see any of it fitting an action-oriented game like Cave Story.

But there isn't an instantly-recognizable corporate mascot that says "Huzzah!".
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 01:15:08 AM »

This thread makes me laugh. Very hard to take it seriously when one of the main source of complaints seems to be a different translator using "OH YEAH" instead of "HUZZAH", I mean, what's the difference?

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 01:18:37 AM »

YOU BEST WATCH WHAT YOU'RE SAYIN' AROUND ME, YEAH.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 01:37:31 AM »

I'm sure if enough people politely emailed Nicalis (ranting complaints wont help) with their concerns, they may be persuaded to release DLC that puts back the old dialogue.

Can't hurt to try.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic