Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:33:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 249408 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: February 29, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »

They want to maintain the Nintendo image of "clean content everywhere" so that conservative helicopter moms will buy Nintendo systems when they see the kind of stuff available on Xbox/PS3. It doesn't matter that parental locks are available because helicopter moms are assumptive and self-righteous.

Disclaimer: that was sarcasm.

I don't see why religious allegory(which is not even *necessarily* criticism, but it could be viewed as) is not allowed when games like resident evil are with all its creepy, grotesque themes. It seems like total discrimination. Of course, Nintendo has every right to do this, being their garden and all, but it's a shame that they're letting such opportunities go when that was obviously a GREAT chance to widen the appeal audience for 3DS sales. Plus Isaac's gameplay style is just such a natural fit to the 3DS and I'd have loved to have had it. Sad

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 01, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »

Yeah, but as ridiculous as it is, blowing zombies up is a standard video game theme, and it doesn't really offend anyone. Religion? Things can get really ugly. It's the same with sex, for some reason it's wrong and filthy while head-shooting people isn't.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »

I don't see why religious allegory(which is not even *necessarily* criticism, but it could be viewed as) is not allowed
Shin Megami Tensei? CASTLEVANIA??!!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: March 01, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »

And Devil Survivor, which is basically about the Book of Revelations happening to Tokyo

But I guess the polite and utter misunderstanding of Western religion in the SMT games is more endearing than insulting. Or at least it is for me

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »

i dont think its really "misunderstanding." they just pull things from western religion because its "cool," kinda like our pop culture is full of eastern religious symbols taken out of context. not sure how "polite" it really is though. there is SOME stuff in the smt games that could be construed as promoting occultism (if youre part of the demographic that constantly gets their panties in a wad over videogames), but i guess the moral panic over "satanic cults" is kinda passe these days.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:27:56 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1345 on: March 02, 2012, 04:34:47 AM »

Honestly although I enjoyed BoI I was put off by its theming and really dont blame nintendo for not allowing it. I don't think it has much to do with helicopter moms.

Castelvania etc are "tasteful and anime!" which sort of masks the religious themes as "cool context for loose mythos and plot". BoI is essentially a parody of a biblical story as well as stereotyping a religious sect (tv evangelical christians) which could be directly offensive to those people, and Nintendo doesn't want to tread in those waters. they got flack for mario's tanuki suit for chrissakes. western audiences are temperamental and its why we dont get a lot of ports.

I would have been _very_ surprised if they had allowed it. maybe if it was a japan-only game with anime theming.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: March 02, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »

Apparently, according to Edmund, if BOI had "light jokes" about religion (e.g. Jesus on a skateboard or something lol) they could have passed through. So making a game with religion thrown on it without being a joke is a no-no. Which is dumb.
Jim Sterling wrote a nice rant about it. http://www.gamefront.com/questionable-religious-content/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »

i can understand why they did it though. its a game that its really easy to make a scandal of, esp considering nintendo's "family friendly" image.

btw: i dont remember ever seeing a game on a nintendo system (or any other console) that features one of the world religions, under its real name, at all. the infamous wisdom tree had to publish their games unlicensed.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1348 on: March 04, 2012, 07:27:45 AM »

Not sure what to think of Dillon's Rolling Western. I love the general moving around and combat, rolling into things is very fun. I'm not that keen on the tower defense aspect so far though.

Anyone else got it?

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:05 AM »

Thinking of downloading Sujin Taisen Number Battles, don't know when it came out, but does anyone know if people still play it online?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: March 04, 2012, 08:34:53 AM »

Eh, they went for a tower defense concept?

I think I may pass on that, then.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: March 04, 2012, 10:19:15 AM »

Eh, they went for a tower defense concept?

I think I may pass on that, then.

Yeah. You go around in the daytime farming the surroundings for items and upgrading/repairing towers, and then at night the enemies start wandering towards the village. You can't rely on the towers to do that much so you have to charge around and take the enemies on yourself. Battles take place in their own area with a top down view.

It's quite charming, but I would have preferred more of an adventure or purely action thing.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 04, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »

I'm not sure if I'd like it. In any case, I developed a small backlog so I'm not getting anything 3DS related unless I find Tekken 3D Prime Edition for cheap or until Rayman Origins gets released.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 05, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

rolling western is fun but it kind of reminds me of the early days of the original ds when every game had some sort of forced touchscreen gimmick. really, there's nothing about the controls that wouldn't have worked with the 3ds's buttons (they're still ok though)
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 05, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

Thinking of downloading Sujin Taisen Number Battles, don't know when it came out, but does anyone know if people still play it online?

I downloaded it, it came out in 2009, I found an online match at the first attempt and I love it.
Looks pretty basic and luck-based to start with, but after a while starts to reveal strategic depth.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: March 13, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

Suppose I'd get 3ds. What good/must have games it has or are soon released?

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

Just found out they are making a new roller coaster tycoon for the 3DS. I hope its better than rct3, I want the tile based isometric game
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »

I loved Pilotwings 3DS and Pushmo on the download service, but that's all I've played. I'm thinking of getting Mario 3D Land but haven't gotten that far.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 13, 2012, 03:27:41 PM »

i keep hearing about that downloadable samurai gam and how its supposedly pretty good. not available in europe unfortunately

mario 3d land is pretty nice
Uykered
« Reply #1359 on: March 14, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »

A new Fire Emblem: Awakening trailer

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic