Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:56:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 246756 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1720 on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:27 AM »

how much did that person play the game to be able to recognize sth like that  Shocked

Saw it right away. I was impressed by how faithfully they'd recreated the world. Though now that you mention it, I've probably played all the way through the game 15 times or so...

I saw it too and last time I played the game was probably 10 years ago. Then again I tend to have rather good memory regarding games. I still remember party compositions of random trainers from pokemon Yellow (though that game I played far too much)  WTF

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 18, 2013, 05:02:42 AM »

you finally get your non-brown-shooter game and now you whine about nostalgia

Common thread: derivative works with little significant idea or advance

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1722 on: April 18, 2013, 06:02:12 AM »

While I certainly like the idea of a classic game re-made with modern technology, I'm perplexed why Nintendo would claim that this is a "new" Zelda title. Its going to be a little disappointing if the overworld in the game is largely identical to Link to the Past.

The best solution in my mind would be to have most of the overworld from Link to the Past, and then a considerable amount of additional overworld stretching out in every direction around it. Use the original overworld as a jumping-off point, and just make the game bigger from there. As of now there is no indication whether or not that will be the case. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a top-down Zelda on the 3DS.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1723 on: April 18, 2013, 06:59:04 AM »

I'm rather sure there will be some new areas. Question is what is their proportion to old map.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 18, 2013, 07:04:45 AM »

they should make a ff7 crisis core-esque prequel to ocarina of time where the main character is ganondorf *before he was evil*
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1725 on: April 18, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

they should make a ff7 crisis core-esque prequel to ocarina of time where the main character is ganondorf *before he was evil*

the tumblr crowd has been clamoring for that since it'll finally put a person of colour in the forefront of zelda

except that ganon/dorf is a paper-thin evilman with little to no connection to the stereotyped foreign-esque race he comes from

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 18, 2013, 07:07:20 AM »

You read my mind, I would play gannonndorff on a heartbeat, no matter how nintendo good the game is, it could be skyward good and I will still buy it!

@hangedman
But you can beat ganondorf at stereotype
Ginger (obviously evil)
black
male
come from a desert
come from poor people
poor people in the desert, obviously theft
arabic tone (terrorist! actually the gerudo symbol was changed because to close to musulman symbol)
all female civilisation (orientalism)
only male in this civilisation therefore king (machism)

But all is forgiven because the man is cool

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 18, 2013, 07:09:56 AM »

other ideas:

a mario game that's actually about plumbing
donkey kong country: the college years
wii sports: roid resort
zelda golf
metroid kart
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1728 on: April 18, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »

Luigi's Mansion keeps getting better. Actually getting challenging, lots of neat little secrets and stuff.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1729 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »

If Earthbound was coming to the 3DS as opposed to just the Wii U I think I'd purchase a 3DS. There's a handful of titles on the 3DS I'd love to play. Add the announced "A Link to the Past" 'sequel' to the mix, as well as Earthbound and I'm sold.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: April 18, 2013, 10:01:37 AM »

snes and megadrive virtual console on 3ds would be pretty cool
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: April 18, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »

I still think they should make a co-op Zelda game where you can play as Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: April 18, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

4 swords

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: April 18, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

4 swords

That's Link, Link, Link, and Link.

Not quite the same thing.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1734 on: April 18, 2013, 03:53:55 PM »

Not quite the same thing.

Not to mention that it's not really cooperative.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: April 18, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »

Spirit Tracks got really, really close to this. The teamwork between Link and Zelda was the real highlight of that game, and the whole thing about driving the train (while fun) overshadowed it. It required a lot of thought on account of having to manipulate both characters simultaneously, sometimes while in combat, but when you got it working it felt really great to pinch an enemy between Link and Zelda and deliver a killing blow. And, of course, Four Swords Adventures (but that lacked any of the scripted character interaction).

I'd enjoy a Mario game that was based entirely on the Nintendo Adventure Books, with similarly bizarre plots and wacky characters. I'm sure they could come up with something as interesting as exploring Princess Peach's Shoe Vaults, rescuing dinosaurs kidnapped to create a television just so a magikoopa can relax with a boob-tube, or the Mario Bros cheating in the olympics to make up for their team consisting of two plumbers, an obsessive-compulsive toad and a giant rabbit.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: April 19, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »

Okay Actually seen the 17mn footage of zelda alltp2, looks way better than alltp dungeon and idea are actually clever and well integrated, plays greatly with the vertical despite top down gaming. Visual looks better in motion too. I think a "new zelda bros" make more sens than in a mario, it could be that, just ditch story and focus on gameplay and leave story for high end zelda!

edit with more video
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/13-minutes-of-zelda-3ds-gameplay-high-quality-and-direct-sound?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zeldainformer+%28Zelda+Informer+News+Feed%29#When:21:03:08Z
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:38:48 AM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #1737 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:57 AM »

getting one of these things today

etrian odyssey 4/fire emblem lets go
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: April 19, 2013, 09:37:29 AM »

Okay Actually seen the 17mn footage of zelda alltp2, looks way better than alltp dungeon and idea are actually clever and well integrated, plays greatly with the vertical despite top down gaming. Visual looks better in motion too. I think a "new zelda bros" make more sens than in a mario, it could be that, just ditch story and focus on gameplay and leave story for high end zelda!
weren't they already doing that with the DS games? from what i'm seeing in this video it actually looks a lot like them too.

o and also phantom hourglass was a "sequel" to wind waker. im starting to see a pattern here.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: April 21, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »

HarmoKnight is pretty nice for the price.

There are about 9 or 10 different stage themes that combine a certain background and a melody, like the grassy levels all have the same marching band background tune, and the beach levels have a calypso steel drum tune. The first chapter gives a false impression that there will be a lot of repetition - the later chapters mix things up with caves and clock towers and arenas with their own tunes.

The basic mechanics don't vary much. The majority of levels are the same kind of hop and swing as in the first level of the demo. You have two companions who sometimes pop out, but they appear pretty rarely. One has to shoot and dodge, and the other just has a high and a low attack for taking out different foes. For some reason, the devs chose to make the music notably stop while your companion appears and restart when they take control, which annoys me to no end but only happens twice per level at a maximum. There are also mine cart levels where you hold the buttons to jump and attack instead of pressing them. The levels get slightly more complex as you progress, with stages that loop around or feature foreground elements (Pillars, clouds, smoke) to make it harder to see what you're doing, and the last chapter introduces flying enemies you have to hit with midair strokes. The clock tower levels have changing tempo to keep you on your toes. It feels like it's just the right amount of variation to keep the game from feeling stale without making you learn entirely new mechanics that change the way you play the game.

The boss levels are cinematic but simple. The boss does a sequence of attacks and then you repeat them, so you have to remember the order and play it back to the proper beat. Sometimes you get thrown for a loop when the sequences get shorter and you have to react faster, but it's not much. The animations during the levels are fun and making the fights seem exciting for what amounts to a QTE, but you'll probably get tired of them while replaying them for the Great rank scores to unlock the bonus art.

The "Story" and writing is awful, and aside from some cute animation in the cutscenes, the game is plagued by uninteresting characters and unnecessary dialogue where the characters try to justify why you have a dolphin or snowboard for the battle with the chapter boss. It would have been way better if they'd cut all the writing and just stuck with "Defeat the Noizoids" for the entirety of the story.

The main game is pretty linear, despite forks in the road. You collect "Royal Notes" to unlock content gates like with the stars in Mario Galaxy 2, but the thresholds are so high that you have to clear all but one stage to pass the last gate before the final boss. There's a bunch of optional stages after defeating the final boss, and at the end of every chapter you unlock a bonus stage that plays a song from the pokemon series. There seem to be plenty of levels to find and play.

You're scored on a three tier ranking system, getting a "So-so", "Nice" or "Great" based on your final score of each level. The threshold for "Great" is really low on most levels (boss levels require a perfect score to get a "Great") so you probably won't even see a so-so rank before the final boss unless you purposely skip bonus points. In addition to grabbing notes and hitting monsters for score, there are musical plants you can hit with your weapon to get extra points, and if you swing and charge your weapon you get a bonus point when you kill a foe. If you get a "Great" score in a stage you can replay it in double time, and if you manage to get a "Great" in double time you unlock a piece of concept art. You can replay stages to try to get a high score, though as far as I can tell there's no online leaderboards. The weapon charge mechanic makes going for a high score meaningful and interesting. There's no silly "Combo" scoring mechanics or anything, so unless you're aiming for an absolutely perfect score you won't feel compelled to restart a level after every mistake (boss levels excluded).

The weapon charge is pretty poorly put together. You only charge your weapon if you successfully swing while on the ground, which means it's really easy to be in a situation where you're holding to charge but your weapon isn't actually charging. The animation for charging isn't much different than your default walk, so you have a habit of releasing for a swing only to realize you weren't charging so you don't do anything (or you take damage from the enemy). While the charge time seems carefully chosen so you can swing your weapon then charge it just in time to hit the next, some levels feature foes on half-beats that will hit you if you try to charge between groups of enemies. However, this is all mostly balanced by the fact that weapon charge is totally optional and you can beat the game easily without ever using weapon charge.

It's a good game for pick up and play. The levels are short, so I can pick up it up and play a quick level for a better rank and then put it down again. There's a wide margin between the point where you can play well enough to progress through the story, and playing well enough to unlock all the bonus content.

I'd say it's a good pick if you like rhythm games, since it does a lot more right than it does wrong. If you think rhythm games are so-so or less, you can skip it without missing anything.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic