Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:08:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 249410 times)
AriesT
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:05 PM »

No, they WILL show Zelda Wii this E3 because it will be released on christmas, maybe even worldwide.
Thats what they announced three weeks ago at the Media Summit or somewhere around this date.

The next 12-15 months will be Nintendo months. SMG2, Metroid, Red Steel 2, Zelda, Pikmin 3, DQ9 in USA and Europe, Golden Sun DS, 3DS.

I need money and a bigger storage rack.

Never give up your dreams. They are worth to live for!
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »

I'm glad I never got a DSi. I'm actually looking forward to this. It's great they didn't add motion controls or something like that. I want Mario Kart 3DS and Super Mario Sunshine 3DS for launch titles  Ninja
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »

No, they WILL show Zelda Wii this E3 because it will be released on christmas, maybe even worldwide.
Thats what they announced three weeks ago at the Media Summit or somewhere around this date.

The next 12-15 months will be Nintendo months. SMG2, Metroid, Red Steel 2, Zelda, Pikmin 3, DQ9 in USA and Europe, Golden Sun DS, 3DS.

I need money and a bigger storage rack.
I really hope so, but I can't help but think it will end up delayed a year.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Zaphos
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »

Don't know how they plan on pulling that off, but they do plan on it.
There are already displays that do stereo 3D with no glasses; people were talking about some at CES -- http://www.tomsguide.com/us/3DTV-autostereoscopic-CES,review-1490.html
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »

Since 3D will be the selling point, I expect it to just slightly more powerful than the current DS, if any more powerful at all.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »

I don't care if it's just an iteration on the DS. If the 3d is actually good then ... it's bloody 3D on my DS!!! That's fucking wicked.

As long as it still has touch sensitivity (the later ones don't so colors DS is pants on em).

Also pressing a pen on a 3d image would feel weird. Does the 3d recede into the screen, or have the appearance of coming out of it? I can imagine a stylus will sort of hinder that effect.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

The amount of information released so far is miniscule. I think this could be a nice new iteration of the DS. But I'm reserving judgement until we see some more tangible details. With this announcement coming at this point in the year, it is easy to imagine that the 3DS will be Nintendo's big push at E3.

There is plenty of potential with this kind of product. I own a Virtual Boy, and I can tell you that 3D-powered games can acutally be a lot of fun. Nintendo has probably had this idea on the back burner for a long time, just waiting until the proper technology came along to implement it at an affordable price. The technology just wasn't ready when the Virtual Boy was produced. A hand-held system that does proper 3D without glasses would be huge.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »

Also pressing a pen on a 3d image would feel weird. Does the 3d recede into the screen, or have the appearance of coming out of it?

Neither, the stylus would fall inside the game.  Grin
Jolli
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 02:03:36 PM »

i already hav 2 ds's.. and stopped caring about a new nintendos

d u m
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »

i already hav 2 ds's.. and stopped caring about a new nintendos

d u m

Until e3 and super mario galatic dimensions  Well, hello there!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »

This is apparently a new hardware line, just backwards compatible with older DS titles. Just like the Wii and Game Boy Advance.
I'm really kind of excited for their E3 conference this year. I usually walk away with theirs as my favorite.

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 03:00:21 PM »

I've seen a prototype display of this type of 3d with Burnout running on it.

It doesn't look truly 3D as you can discern between the layers, and you are limited physically to a number of layers, so there is a relatively small set of z-values.

Edit: Although if the relative distance between the layers is kept extremely small, it does look fairly fluid.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:09:54 PM by Pierog » Logged

elbarto
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »

There's a camera called the Fujifilm 3D W1 that takes stereoscopic pictures and video, and has a 3D lenticular screen instead of the typical camera lcd. I haven't seen it myself, but I've read that it actually works well, and with no glasses required.

I'm actually pretty excited about the 3DS. I don't even have a DS, and I hate touch control. But this 3DS announcement has got me pretty excited.

One reason: 3D platformers. Being able to see 3D depth would actually be a big help in navigating a 3D world. I would love to play Mario 64 in 3D. When you play Mario 64 in 2D, your brain has to determine Mario's position in 3D space by the movement of objects and how their relative size. Sometimes I misjudge the distance between platforms or height of a coin because I am not seeing in stereo like I do in real life. For an experiment, try closing one eye and picking up objects or even better tossing and catching a ball. It feels awkward and difficult, to me atleast. It's much easier with your normal stereo vision. I bet Mario 64 would be much easier to complete in 3D. A new Mario designed for the 3DS could have platforming action requiring more precise jumping and overall complexity, while not being overly difficult for the players. That's what I want!

Also, 2D side scrollers will look amazing since the characters and platforms, ground, etc. will have a real separation from the background, creating a pop up book sort of effect. Can't wait to see what they do with this!

I assume the autostereoscopic 3D screen Nintendo will be using probably won't have much 3D "popout" effect, where the #D looks like it is floating in front of the screen. Most likely, the screen will give the illusion of being 5 inches or so deep, like a window into another world. This kind of 3D isn't distracting or hard on the eyes.

And one of the big features of the 3DS, I'd be willing to bet, is a Stereoscopic 3D camera with two lenses spaced like two human eyes. For taking 3D photos and probably video, for display on the 3D screen(s). People will love this.
The_Flying_Dove
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

March 23, 2010
To Whom It May Concern:
Re:   Launch of New Portable Game Machine

Nintendo Co., Ltd.(Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch “Nintendo 3DS” (temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.

“Nintendo 3DS” (temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed “Nintendo DS series”, whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.

We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.
It looks like nothing more but an improved version of the DS. In a way, it also feels like an iPod touch or iPhone how you can move the 3DS around to give it a more 3D-like experience. Handhelds mean little to me either way, so I don't really care. Could this mean that Nintendo is jumping on the HD bandwagon as well, with its Wii?

"No one is to be called an enemy, all are your benefactors, and no one does you harm. You have no enemy except yourselves." - St. Francis of Assisi
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »

Also, 2D side scrollers will look amazing since the characters and platforms, ground, etc. will have a real separation from the background, creating a pop up book sort of effect. Can't wait to see what they do with this!

I do think that this type of 3D is best suited doing true parallax scrolling.

I assume the autostereoscopic 3D screen Nintendo will be using probably won't have much 3D "popout" effect, where the #D looks like it is floating in front of the screen. Most likely, the screen will give the illusion of being 5 inches or so deep, like a window into another world. This kind of 3D isn't distracting or hard on the eyes.

When I played around on screen like this, there was no popout. It looked more like you're looking into a diorama.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14:32 PM »

Oh man why did it have to be 3D.. of all possible enhancements they added 3D  Sad Cry

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »

Oh man why did it have to be 3D.. of all possible enhancements they added 3D  Sad Cry

It could be worse. They could've made it just bigger again.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »

I dont really get all the "oh noes not another DS system" comments.
First of all, there really is only one DS system to me and that has been around since 2004.
Secondly, have I missed something or isnt this an entirely new console?

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 11:26:19 PM »

^ Agree, there's only one Nintendo DS, it's not like the classic DS can't play the new games. My brother still has his phat DS, he never got a Lite/DSi. It's like the Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket and Gameboy Light back in the day.

I wonder if the 3DS is going to be compatible with DSiWare, I really want to play Dark Void Zero but I'm not buying a DSi now that this was announced.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 02:43:27 AM »

It doesn't look truly 3D as you can discern between the layers, and you are limited physically to a number of layers, so there is a relatively small set of z-values.

Really? I can't even begin to understand why it would have a limit like that.

From what I've heard, it uses parallax barrier, which shows two separate images to each eye. That has no limit on the number of layers, or z values, and allows for images both behind and in front of the screen.

(Note that if you only place things on even pixels and have no anti aliasing, you get a limit of how close the z layers can be, but there's no limit on the number of layers other than the actual width of the screen)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic