Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:16:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPlaystation 3 question
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Playstation 3 question  (Read 5777 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 05:25:04 AM »

I can't help but wonder why you need to store your video in Blu-ray quality if you're going to shoot it on a 16mm camera?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
jcsymmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't help but wonder why you need to store your video in Blu-ray quality if you're going to shoot it on a 16mm camera?

Thats actually a valid point. you would get some benefit-16 mm does look better in high def-but not the kind of benefit that a lot of people would notice. Going to standard def might make a fair amount of sence, one that still needs to be determined. To anwser the question i think right now where going platform agnostic for the time being.

Thank you.

Scott
dubajj
Level 0

gimmeeee your art

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 05:46:29 AM »

This is a massive undertaking.  If you really want to do this, i would suggest changing your scope or developing maybe 1 hour of gameplay with 30 minutes of video, and trying to shop it to a publisher.  Your not likely going to be able to complete this without a real budget (well beyond 500k).  

I just did the numbers on paper, and they are not pretty.  I encourage you to instead of thinking about small things like bluray disk cost, think about high level development process cost.  Your budget would probably be ok for just shooting 10 hours of high quality video (production quality, actors, editors, sound guys etc... get expensive even for indie shoots), but to develop what I'm guessing from your numbers is around 35 hours of gameplay is going to cost you at least another 500k, more likely well into the low millions.

Jasper
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »

Just because every PS3 game isn't an AAA title doesn't mean you can make a PS3 game for $500,000. A random article I found (http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m) says: "A study by entertainment analyst group M2 Research also puts development costs for single-platform projects at an averge of $10 million." So, I doubt you're going to get anywhere
Indie games on average would probably straddle a "B" line, if the letters actually meant anything. Just because Sony is developing the Move doesn't mean they're they want cheaper games. They just want in on the motion control market that the Wii is currently leading in. Sony doesn't want blatantly low quality games on its console.
Also, are you realizing that "indie" means you front your own money for development? I'm not sure why you're saying that indies receive budgets.
jcsymmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 06:41:47 AM »

This is a massive undertaking.  If you really want to do this, i would suggest changing your scope or developing maybe 1 hour of gameplay with 30 minutes of video, and trying to shop it to a publisher.  Your not likely going to be able to complete this without a real budget (well beyond 500k). 

well i have been thinking of 6-8 hours of gameplay with 1 hour of video. Your right this might be a little more then i am expecting, especially considering i  wan't to avoid the indie trap of extending game play by making the game harder then standard games. If anything actually i want to make a fairly easy game, and the easier the game the faster people can beat it, the more content there needs to be. However were working on it, and on budgeting it.
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 09:24:13 AM »

or a series of multiple path youtube videos. It's been done well in the past.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
dubajj
Level 0

gimmeeee your art

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »

well i have been thinking of 6-8 hours of gameplay with 1 hour of video.

Thats not so bad!  You can fit 1 hour of video in about 1 gig and have it look quite excellent if you pick the right compression.  I'm not sure if they have a 'native' video compression on the ps3, but it's worth looking into.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »

I think maybe the OP meant 1 hour of video per playthrough? So that there'll be more than 1 hour total, but the player will only see 1 hour?

Laserbrain Studios
jcsymmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »

chrknudsen said
I think maybe the OP meant 1 hour of video per playthrough? So that there'll be more than 1 hour total, but the player will only see 1 hour?

Right now in the design doc about a 1.5 hours of total video of which the player always sees about an hour. Like i said before its standard cut scenes- a comparitively large amount for a game but standard.

At compression you want to see on a high def TV, 1 gig is a little small for that-but that may not be all that off. If this was a playstation 3 i would say of course go high def visions...but right now i am thinking we might be able to get away with shrinking that a bit.

Scott   
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »

Then why did you estimate in your original post that the game would take up 8-12 gigs? Are you just revising your plan now or am I missing something?

Laserbrain Studios
jcsymmes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

Blueray compression for 90 minutes is about 6-8 gigs. but thats movie compression.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »

I think I misread your original post, so never mind...

Laserbrain Studios
dubajj
Level 0

gimmeeee your art

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »

Blueray compression for 90 minutes is about 6-8 gigs. but thats movie compression.

oohhh i get it.  Yeh, there is no scenario where a developer would actually use video on a bluray in a bluray format, it just doesnt make sense.  When you make a game on a dvd/bluray, you don't encode the video into a dvd/bluray format, you encode it with a compression tool (WMV, H264, Bink, etc...) and load the compressed file and play it with a video playback library or something you write custom.

the best of the best "Bink video" - http://www.radgametools.com/

I have used WMV9 HD compression on the xbox 360, with really great results.  The file sizes are small, and playback is really easy to setup.  I'm sure there is a ps3 equivalent if you don't want to use a 3rd party tool like bink.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic